Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
It was suggested at the Highland Minimeet in September that we should hold a meet for New Year. Now that the clocks have changed, and the weather is cold, wet and windy, I was wondering if there is still any interest!!!
If it goes ahead (and even at the last minute, that will be dependent on the weather forecast) numbers will be restricted. We would run it for 3-4 days, have the usual trip to the Dores Inn – probably during the day or early evening on 30<SUP>th</SUP> December (Community minibus already booked), have a bonfire (and fireworks – if you bring them) to bring in the New Year, with plenty of opportunity for local walks to blow away the cobwebs. The Schoolroom will be available for use – although even when heated, it will be colder than your vans! Other suggestions are welcome (and I have a few other ideas up my sleeve), but as always with meets & gatherings at Brin you can join in as much or as little as you like. There will be EHU available but will be time limited, so that everyone who wants to, has a chance to recharge.
Although not restricted to people who have been to Brin before, you are advised that it is a very rural location in the Highlands, with limited facilities.
Once again we will have a collection for the local mountain rescue team, but this time we will also make a small charge to help to cover the cost of the use of the Schoolroom and EHU.
Please let me know if you are interested,as soon as possible, so that if there is sufficient interest a decision can be made, whether it goes ahead or not.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
sounds like this one is not for southern softy may just be up my street if i am home
provisional put me down thanks

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
sounds like this one is not for southern softy may just be up my street if i am home
provisional put me down thanks

Not even northern ones::bigsmile:
I've put you down. Hope it will go ahead. There are a few others interested, on other sites - but we will still need a few more to make it happen.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Bump!

Anyone else out there interested. I only have a handful of takers across the forums, and would really like to see some more ..............................

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Anyone else out there interested. I only have a handful of takers across the forums, and would really like to see some more ..............................
Not this year I'm afraid......already booked into a nice cosy warm pub :roflmto: for Hogmanay at Stonehaven :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
But being Funsters of only a few months we did wonder if there were any rallies that took in a Highland Gathering ? We would be up for that :Smile:
regards Jude.

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger

I would love to go, but anytime I try to go up north at that time of the year the weather stops me

Bill

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Interested, yes. Not been up for a couple of years (& wife never has), but it will be a very last minute decision for a number of reasons, of which the weather is only one.

So don't make any plans that depend on us.

One factor may be the need to provide holiday cover for work. What are the chances of either a Three 3G signal (even a poor one - have good 3G aerial) or access to WiFi? Have Fon, so can piggyback on BT Internet.

Denbo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
Since 2001
Yes

I would be interested if it goes ahead I would be coming with my wife and three foster children 3,4, and five year old

Dennis

littlehouse

Free Member
Jan 25, 2011
Decize France
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Driver 52
Exp
yes

please put Clive and Liz on the list, weather permitting.:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Sorry folks - have been away and lost track of replies.

TheCaller - we have Wifi here, and it should work, with booster, from your van If not the Schoolroom (Café & Shop in summer) will be available for you to use to connect. Let me know nearer the time if you can make it.

Denbo & Littlehouse - I have put you down. Details will follow shortly.

See you at the end of the month::bigsmile:

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Decisions, Warnings, Details

With 8-10 vans booked or pencilled in for this meet, I can confirm that it will go ahead from Monday 30th December to Thursday 2nd January, weather permitting.
Venue: Link Removed
I have to warn those who have not been to Brin before (particularly those coming up from the South) we are 12 miles from Inverness (100 miles north of Perth). It can be cold,(there is snow on the ground as I speak), wet and windy and it is dark - getting light about 8.30 - 9am and it is dark again by 4 -4.30pm. There is no local entertainment – we have to make our own – and the nearest shop, 4 miles away, will probably be closed

Timetable:
30th December – arrive.
Working party in daylight – building bonfire.
Evening: Mulled wine and not mince pies in the Schoolroom. Bring a bottle of red wine and a couple of slices of lemon, and we will mull it for you, and bring something to nibble with it but lets have a break from the turkey and mince pies!! If you bring enough we might even make it a buffet.
31st pub lunch. We have the use of the community minibus to get us to the pub, for which there will be a small charge. The bus is small, so booking is essential – first come first served.
Bonfire from 11.30 pm. Bring sparklers & a few fireworks & your voice or musical instruments and a dram to bring in the New Year.
1st January. Details to be confirmed. Shared meals in the evening , depending on numbers, weather conditions we will organise it on the day. Bring enough for yourselves to eat ………………….. and be prepared to share.
2nd January. leave

Please bring:
It does not need to be said but ………… warm & waterproof clothes & footwear – plenty of layers and plenty of changes!
Plenty of gas!
Food and drink to share! (Including wine for mulling, more detail if required)
Sparklers & Fireworks
Any old Christmas decorations to decorate the Schoolroom
Please do not bring:
Turkey or mince pies!

List of possible takers:
Mygrassisblue
Ardgour
skyrakes
PeteRachel
billthedrill
TheCaller
denbo
littlehouse
aldra
magbrin

Please let me know:
1. that, weather permitting, you still plan to come
2. Your telephone number in case we cancel due to bad weather
3. if you want EHU (this may have to be shared depending on numbers requiring power). A small charge will apply.
4. if you want to go for pub lunch on 31st (This may be Dores Inn, or we may ring the changes and go to the pub at Whitebridge) so that we can book.
5. To go on bus to the pub. Numbers very limited in bus, depending on the numbers we may need to do two trips. First come first served, again. There will be a charge for this.
6. If you want any more information about anything
Other than charges mentioned above there will be another small charge for the use of the Schoolroom - trying to heat it, heat food, heat mulled wine etc.
We will also be collecting again for the Cairngorm Mountain Rescue team who risk their own lives to save others in the mountains. Please give generously.
Finally – please keep checking the thread – for updates and please remember PM your tel no. (mobile if you are going away for Christmas) so that I can send you a text if the event is cancelled due to adverse weather conditions. Do not rely on me posting/PMing after Christmas as we will be taking our new van to Wigan to be converted, and may not have internet connection. Weather permitting we will be back before you arrive!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS. You have now reached the end of the post.
See you soon
Margaret

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Hope you all have a good time and manage to keep warmish !!!

Ron

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Wish we were coming but mum sorned it til April:Sad:

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
See you in April, then::bigsmile: Or at least at one of the "summer" meets/gatherings. Dates to be posted in the New Year.
In the mean time Happy Christmas to you both.
Margaret

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Sadly, we are now on the 'very doubtful' list. It is now looking as if we will be in deepest Dorset over Christmas week, which on top of the 460 miles it was already, puts us another 250 in the wrong direction,. A mere step compared with those trundling down to Morocco, but still a long way round on a miserable British winter's day.

Make your plans on the assumption that we are not coming. If we make it at the last minute, we'll take pot luck on bus spaces, meals etc.

carsan

Free Member
Jul 6, 2011
Argyll
Funster No
MH
rv hi top
Exp
Since July 2011
Oh I wish I could have made it but unfortunately got family here for new year hopefully we make the highland meet. have a wonderful time Merry xmas and a Guid new year.
Sandy & Carol:cry::cry:

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks for the posts & PMs. Still one or two not confirmed, and space if anyone else wants to join us. Weather is warmer than in the summer -at the moment - who needs to go to Spain:shout:
(well almost)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Sadly, we are now on the 'very doubtful' list. It is now looking as if we will be in deepest Dorset over Christmas week, which on top of the 460 miles it was already, puts us another 250 in the wrong direction,. A mere step compared with those trundling down to Morocco, but still a long way round on a miserable British winter's day.

Make your plans on the assumption that we are not coming. If we make it at the last minute, we'll take pot luck on bus spaces, meals etc.
We have now moved from 'very doubtful' to 'not a chance' I'm afraid. We are going to stay on in the south for a few days after Christmas - I have been asked to do some customer training near Christchurch while I'm down in that neck of the woods.

It's worked out quite well - this particular training job is right up my street, but I wouldn't have gone from home - someone else would have had to do it. As it is, I get a nice contribution towards the cost of going to Dorset! :Smile:

I hope you all have a great time & I'll try & make it another time. Looks a lovely spot. I've only been up the north side of the loch, so looking forward to seeing the south side at some point.

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Hogmanay Hooley

Just over a week to go, and a lot to do between now and then, so this may be the last post. (Will be away between 26th & 29th* - travelling while the roads are quiet:Smile:)
Plans are made, bus & Dores Inn booked, and 3 new EHU points fitted - so plenty of leccie for all.
Look forward to seeing you on 30th.

We have now moved from 'very doubtful' to 'not a chance' I'm afraid. We are going to stay on in the south for a few days after Christmas - I have been asked to do some customer training near Christchurch while I'm down in that neck of the woods.

It's worked out quite well - this particular training job is right up my street, but I wouldn't have gone from home - someone else would have had to do it. As it is, I get a nice contribution towards the cost of going to Dorset! :Smile:

I hope you all have a great time & I'll try & make it another time. Looks a lovely spot. I've only been up the north side of the loch, so looking forward to seeing the south side at some point.

Will be posting dates for the "Highland Gathering" & "Minimeet" early in the new year. Hope you will be able to make one or both of them.

Happy Christmas and safe travels

*BTW for any unscrupulous chancers the house will NOT be empty as our daughter and family live here:whatthe:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
so sorry we wont be abill to make it owing to an unfortunate accident last night
wen we hit an obstruction on the outside lane of the M 62 resulting in extensive damage to the under side of my van ripping the sump of ant exusts and manifold off putting us off the road will be glad wen this year is over
bill

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
so sorry we wont be abill to make it owing to an unfortunate accident last night
wen we hit an obstruction on the outside lane of the M 62 resulting in extensive damage to the under side of my van ripping the sump of ant exusts and manifold off putting us off the road will be glad wen this year is over
bill

Bill so sorry to hear of your accident and the resulting damage, but pleased you are both unhurt.

Have a happy New Year.

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
bill

Thanks for the PM, Bill, and really sorry to hear what has happened. I hope you are both ok, and have a good Christmas despite your ordeal. Sorry you won't be with us for Hogmanay, but hope you will make it to Brin sometime in 2014.

All the best and safe travels
Margaret

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
More details ..............................

Thanks for the PM Littlehouse. I hope Clive recovers and you can make it. I will keep a pitch warm for you:Smile:

Weather looks good - for the time of year. No snow forecast and less wind than there has been of late. There may even be a blink of sunshine.
Bus and Dores Inn booked for lunch on 31st.
Thinking curry night on 1st Jan. If you want to join in, bring curry of some sort for 2 (to share), with some accompaniments. There will be a forfeit for anyone who tries to conceal the remains of their turkey in a curry sauceLink RemovedLink Removed Then thinking if you bring a couple of pieces of fruit and a chunk of cheese, we can make a fruit salad or fruit pie/crumble, and follow it with biscuits & cheese. If this does not appeal other suggestions are welcome.
Remember to bring wine for mulling, and something to nibble/eat/share for Monday evening and cash for your donation to the Cairngorm mountain rescue.
Look forward to seeing you all a week today.
In the mean time have a very Happy Christmas
Safe travels
Margaret

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
i see I'm talking to myself again ........

I hope you have all recovered from the festivities of Christmas.

The wind has dropped, here, the sky is blue and the flood water has receded ................................ all is set for a calm end to the year. If you want it wild - come and make it wild:)
See you all on Monday
safe travels
Margaret

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Just for the record .........................

Unfortunately, in the end only two visiting vans stayed. Ours doubled the number as we did not get to Wigan with our new van for conversion until after the meet.
We enjoyed the festivities, and our guests indicated that they had too - but maybe it is not to be repeated another year. We are a long way from anywhere at this time of year;)
We did raise another £50 or so for the mountain rescue team, which considering the numbers was excellent. Thank you to all who contributed.
Will post dates for next events, shortly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back