Hobby your opinions??

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by gazza280, Nov 15, 2012.

1. gazza280

gazza280 Read Only Funster

Hi Funsters

I have been visiting Motorhome dealers over the last few days, to check out a few new models and see what is available used.
    I saw a Hobby Toskana 750 advertised and took quite a liking to it, even saw an older 2005 model for £18000. So I thought one of the dealers near where I live must have a Hobby Motorhome for sale but talking to a main dealer (near Brighton) I was told that they didn't stock Hobbys because they are popular with Travellers and get stolen more than other vans.
    Now I don't think that I am very gullible and the reason I was told this was because they just didn't have any Hobbys or haven't had any Hobbys for some time.
    Would he have said the same if he didn't have a Burstner or Knaus, possibly!!
    I must say that with other dealers I have visited, none have had any Hobby models either. I'm leaning more to think that this is because they are good models and people are so happy with them that they want to keep them.

However as always ask the experts, thats you Funsters, because to get a true reflection of Hobby ask the people who use them. Would you agree?

I went to the NEC show recently and spoke to people there about Hobbys and the general opinion was they are good well made German Motorhomes.
    I know that its all relative, there are always the odd model that has problems with any make.

Thanks in advance for your opinions
    Gary

2. stcyr

stcyr Funster

IMO this applies more to Hobby caravans than motorhomes ... :thumb:

3. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Hi if you want a Hobby come and talk to us as we can obtain them, we also have Pilotes

Peter

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  4. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Yes they are well made, yes they are popular with travellers, yes they get stolen and yes even funsters driving a Hobby have been turned away from some caravan sites.
    Having said all that I'm sure all of the above applies to a number of other vans as well. (Even if Hobby is most well known of the bunch), hee hee.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

I have had my Hobby for just over a year and I am really pleased with it, the quality, fittings and the build seem good to me, it was just over a year when I bought it and the previous owner told me it had never been back to a dealer since new.
    I have had 2 breakages (1) a shower rail hook (2) sink tap.
    Its well insulated, I have heating on whilst travelling Oh and beds are comfy too, have not put toppers on them !!
    Would I buy another errrrr thats a yes from me

Dave

• Like Like x 2
  6. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

I think you find the advice given you was correct, it has been known for Hobby caravans to be refused admission to some sites as they are a favorite of the travelers, so forewarned is forearmed

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

I think the bad name comes from the travelling community using Hobby Caravans which are pretty noticable, anything about the motorhomes may be just a rumour without basis, made no differnec to my insurance having a Hobby.
    At the end of the day Hobby's look similar to any other motorhome:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  8. maz

maz Funster

Hi Gary. I have a Toskana 750 and overall am very pleased with it. The layout is the best I've seen in any van (for my needs anyway) - storage is exceptionally good. Had a few teething problems - serial water leaks from plumbing being the main one but dealer sorted them out as they arose. Touchwood it's been fine since then.

It's the only tag axle van I found that has a normal Ducato van windscreen - no worries about getting it replaced as it's a standard Autoglass item rather than a special import from Germany as previous van (A-class) would have been. :Eeek:

Interior is a bit bling for my liking but I have found ways to tone it down somewhat. :Smile: Build quality is quite good for a modern van tho' I still rate my ex-van (2005 Burstner) better in that area. However IMO even Burstner quality has dropped in their later vans.

Think the 'travellers' comment refers more to caravans than motorhomes. :RollEyes:

• Like Like x 2
  9. maz

maz Funster

But sleeker and sexier ......... those curvy sides. :Wink:

10. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Hobby caravans are popular with travelers, but don't think travelers are that interested in ANY motorhome for their own use:RollEyes:
    Looking at a certain other motorhome forums stolen database, it looks like VW's are possibly the most stolen motorhome, just like you I would take anything a dealer told me with a pinch of salt:Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  11. ojibway

ojibway Funster

You will see lots of travellers in France with Hobby and Fendt caravans. They are popular with them because they are wider than most caravans.:Smile:

12. MrMotorhome

MrMotorhome Read Only Funster

We have a Hobby and would buy another one in the future. :Smile:

13. spitfire

spitfire Funster

Hobby your opinions?

Have owned our 1999 Hobby 750 since it was 3 years old. Love it and find it just about perfect. We have looked to change regularly over the years but have found nothing to compare but as people say everyone has a reason for buying the van they do. We wanted a van to spend whole winters in with a bed, kitchen and lounge area all in a low profile. We have looked at the newer vans in the Hobby range but feel like other makes the finish is not as solid.

I think the layouts of all the vans from the traveling stables are well laid out and finished because they are designed from experience. ( Hobby was started by a traveling family )

• Like Like x 2
  14. PORKSTER

PORKSTER Funster

If its the dealer I am thinking of I wouldn't listen to anything they had to say

15. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

As already stated, the theft aspect is more to do with caravans. Travellers don't really do motorhomes as there is alot of 'wasted' space (cab area) for living in - thus they go for caravans. More living space per sqaure foot as it were.

Hobby's do have a reputation due to this - I am surprised that motorhome owners are being turned away - more to do with an over-reaction on the owners part that anything else. If you are a club member, you register your vehicle with them, so you shouldn't get turned away from their sites - and if you do, get onto them and ask them to verify who you are with the site owner. I know sites that have allowed travellers passing through to stay, and they had taken the shower room fittings with them, so you can uinderstand their reluctant stance, but with proof of your address, they should be fine.

As regards to build quality - they are very good indeed, and usually winterised. This does of course mean heavier, so check the weight plates.

Dethleffs are of a similar quality, so that may be worth a look - only they don't have the reputation of hobby, and have a different floor construction which doesn't suffer with distortion. Again, good quality means weight.

16. JohnM

JohnM Read Only Funster

Hi,Gazza i have had my toscana now for 6 mnths and i absolutly love it this is my 4th m/h:Blush: in 4yrs and i cant see me parting with it its by far the roomiest and most comfortable by far.

• Like Like x 3
  17. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I would like to see the evidence for this. There was an article recently in the CC magazine (well maybe as much as 18 months ago) and some discussion on another well known forum.
    There was no evidence to suggest either 1) Hobby Motorhomes were EVER being turned away from sites because they were Hobby Motorhomes. There was a turnaway due to the fact it was a TAG axle and others then reported that they too had been turned away from the same site based on a TAG AXLE not because it was a hobby.
    I have never heard of a funster saying he was turned away because he had a hobby motorhome? I stand to be corrected if you could highlight the post for me.
    Personally if it were me I would happily turn around any way.

2) as for being more prone to being stolen? again as already said, that generally refers to the Hobby Caravans, having a bit of time on my hand, I have ficticiously? just got a quote for my new Nobby that Im not changing too. £30 cheaper than my Bessie :Laughing: so obviously not being too many stolen

I love these rumours that spring up, 1 peson gets turned away and all of a sudden all hobys are not allowed on a site. :Laughing: this only means one thing. The price of them falls :thumb:

This then puts me in to prime position, I really would love a Hobby, I wanted one when we changed the van last year but unfortunately they do not do the 750 with an overcab bed. Having kids that very occasionally come with us we still needed that bed. However, next time round we were after Maz's van :RollEyes: but it would appear that Hobby are no longer doing twin axle vans which would therefore make them two short for my lifestyle.

IMO for the OP they are a top quality MH for a fraction of what you would pay for others, as they are not A class. They can be pretty basic though compared to a brit van with no cooker and as Maz says a little "Blingy" but personally I love them

Incidently they were selling new Hobby's (but built in 2010) at the NEC for amazingly low prices, 52k for a brand new unused van. Sold like hotcakes, :thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  18. Carol

Paul, in another life we had caravans for years (30) and have friends that still have them, one bought a hobby loves it but has been refused admission to camp sites.

Also in a previous life I used to do a lot of work for travellers who had houses and caravans and the reason some of them did not buy Hobby's was because they were a give away that they were travellers, and made getting on a site more difficult.

19. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

:Smile:
    Yes Carol, but you are talking about Caravans not motorhomes,

Also you are not talking recent history. :thumb:

Also other than Hobby caravans being slightly wider, do you know why travellers choose them?
    because they can spot quality a mile away :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Carol

But Paul, it was only two years ago that my friend was turned away with the caravan, even so they have just bought another Hobby because of the quality.:Smile: I realise it is different with motorhomes, but if you get turned away with one at least you know why.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012