Hobby roof problem

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by golly, Feb 16, 2011.

1. golly

golly Funster

Hi
    After giving the van a wash today (Hobby T550fs) I noticed the paint is flaking in a couple of places on the flat aluminium roof. Does anyone know if its possible to climb onto the roof to repaint etc. I really need to give the roof a good scrub and wax after I paint. I know some vans will take the weight of standing on the roof, but I would hate to get up there and end up in the dinette:Rofl1: Any advice from you more experienced funsters appreciated.

John

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Not sure about your particular van but most motorhomes are strong enough to walk on the roof. Walk where you cause the least flex and I'm sure you will be ok. We have a hobby dealer who looks in regularly and quite a few owners, so you shouldn't have to wait too long for a defnitive answer:thumb:

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Hobby roofs are extremely strong.....even hobby caravan roofs can be walked on.

4. golly

golly Funster

It certainly feels solid, and I'm not exactly a heavyweight, but you cant be too careful.
    John

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

very true :thumb: just keep away from roof openings....vents, roof glass and the front overcab cowl (usually ABS plastic) etc.....the weakest part of any roof is an opening.

6. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

I used to polish the roof etc on my Hobby 760fms by putting a couple of thick old cushions just above the edge of the roof and I had an old scaffold plank I would place on the cushions..... kept my weight of the roof, just in case.. :thumb:

7. golly

golly Funster

Yes the front overcab is ABS and just feeling it indicates it has no support to it.

8. golly

golly Funster

What a good idea, I think I will give that a try, I will also have to rig some sort of platform up at the front of the van so I can access the overcab area as the snow has pulled the Hobby decal away from the front. I thought ladders either side with a plank accross.

9. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Tape the same cushions to the ladder and park your MH in front of a wall about 3 - 4 foot away to stop the ladder from slipping. and put the ladder up the front,,,, most of your weight will be downwards so wont dent or scratch the aluminium front..