Hobby Motorhomes, your views please

Discussion in 'Hobby' started by Johns_Cross_Motorhomes, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

We have been aproached by Hobby to take up a dealership alongside our Swift Franchise.

Any one got any advice or views on Hobby vans?

Thanks

Peter

2. A and K

A and K Read Only Funster

Hi Peter,
    We have a 05' Hobby 750 tag axle. We are highly delighted with it. The build quality is excellent.Very good payload and superb roadholding. We definately agree with the reputation that Hobby have of building quality motorhomes.:thumb:
    It would be nice to see another dealer besides Lowdhams.

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Choice is good.

You wouldn't be asking if you were at all uncertain of quality and pricing.

Swift is a "group" product, much similarity, same for Hobby so it must be easy for someone to say "Pity, but I could not live with Swift xxxxx" and rule out the whole range. "Yes Sir, I can appreciate that so come and look how Hobby do it".

Not a good name - Hobby = passtime, not implying a serious manufacturer.

But badges other than Fiat must be a_good_thing right now.

4. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

My only reaql concern with Hobby motorhomes is they have a tendency to not put gas drops in their 'vans. Had one (potential) customer wanting a BBQ point who would not accept that it needed a gas drop vent as he couldn't find one anywhere else on his 'van. I refused to install it without a gas drop so that was that.

Generally speaking build quality is above average but I think they are a bit like the ubiquitous VeeDub camper in that they're either loved or ignored.

D.

5. moandick

moandick Read Only Funster

We can only talk about Hobby Caravans as we had one from mid 80's to mid 90's - lived in it for 6 years as Wardens - absolutely super caravan. Well built, stable and way ahead of it's UK competition in its time. We looked with gooey eyes at the Hobby Motorhomes whilst we were in Germany but we simply could not afford them, even tax free - as we were entitled to!

Our only problem in the late 90's was that the gypsies had a reputation for pinching Hobby Caravans and we got stared at very hard every time we were on the road.

Have to admit we are not awfully keen on the modern colour styling - but we are getting old and staid now!:Sad:

6. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Imported a 760FMs, tag axle. Superb quality and build.
    54 reg, did have vented gas bottle locker.
    Only one problem in two n half years and that was electric window packed up.
    Reasonable price for servicing good return on fuel. Even towing a 15ft long trailer with Nissan Micra on.
    My only gripe was they are by way of the shape claustaphobic, (I Thought).
    Under different circumstances I would certainly have one again. :thumb:

7. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

just ask the gypsies. they seem to like them and they are no mugs when it comes to quality:thumb:

8. jacken

jacken Read Only Funster

As has been said already, Hobby caravans do have a reputation of being liked by Gypsies. Even more worrying, I saw a Hobby motorhome on one Gypsy camp recently.

ken

9. A and K

:RollEyes: We recently saw a gypsy camp with a couple of RV's on! Does that mean that they should also worry :Doh:

10. zaskar

zaskar Funster

This seems to be happening more frequently. I saw one in a camp on waste land at the side of the Manchester ship canal on my way to work. Thought, hmmmmm, that's funny and like an idiot drove in to have a look (it was 6am and they were all asleep). Drove round it, strange red Belgian looking plates!? ........and when I got to work, phoned Travelworld to ask if they'd heard of one being nicked.
    Turns out it was a CASH sale personal import by a Gypsie as a wedding present for his daughter! Couldn't get it plated here for some reason so put Belgian plates (I think) on it. T/World knew all about him and said stay well away, he's a really nasty piece of work!

11. moandick

moandick Read Only Funster

Why should we be surprised that Gypsies fiind an RV ideal for full-timing - we full-time and we find it ideal - what's the difference?

If you think about it logically - the gypsies have always led the field in upmarket caravans, fifth-wheelers and now RVs.

It was the Gypsies and Show-ground people who had the big shiny aluminium and cut-glass caravans packed full of Royal Doulton. Then they switched to Hobby caravans - not the little ones but whopping great big twin axle jobs - then they switched to 5'ers and now they have found RVs.

Well good on them - I may not envy their lifestyle - and I certainly don't envy the hassle that they get constantly - and I do pay my taxes etc whilst apparently they don't - but why shouldn't they have somewhere decent to live in - as long as they have paid for it in the normal fashion?

Anyway - this is all getting away from JCM's original post - should they take on the Hobby Concession!

In my view, yes, they should - if only to give normal Euro-motorhomers something for comparison.

Go for it J-C-M

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  12. ingram

ingram Read Only Funster

..........and my lame attempt to try to keep this thread on the original topic is to say that I don't know diddly-squat about Hobbys except that those I have seen / looked at, always are very attractive externally. Those I have been in, as I recall, seemed rather dark, very nicely put together and finished but had typically German very poor kitchen work space. Not that many current British 'vans have anything much better except some Autocruises. Whoops! got off on one of my Hobby Horses again: ( how's that for on topic ) Rofl1:

I can't advise on whether or not you should take on a Hobby dealership: I am sure there are lots of factors that I know nothing about but if your company is really as good as you often say it is then I expect that potential Hobby customers will come flocking.:Smile:

Harvey

13. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Peter,yes go for it :thumb:The ones I have seen looked very nice indeed.In these times if you make money on them it cannot be a bad thing :thumb:
    The only downside I can see is upsetting the other Peter :Rofl1: in that you will be selling the competition :Rofl1: You never know you may get a golden handcuffs deal out of it all :Rofl1::Rofl1:
    I do not think for one min that apart from Swift supplying you with vans that they have much to do with your business :Rofl1::Rofl1: or maybe they do :Rofl1:
    terry

14. Gubba Rust

Gubba Rust Deleted User

Mein Hobby

We researched a lot before buying a Hobby Motorhome last year. After one season, we are very happy with our choice. Lots of gripes (I'm a perfectionist) but the overall build is excellent. Mainly we live very well in it, sleeping, cooking, showering, driving, shopping, stopping... everything works as you would wish it. For us it was the perfect balance of German build quality and sensitive interior design which makes you feel good just being in it. Hymer may be better built, but they feel like furniture vans. Italian and French makers feel and look good, but the finish (and so, I suspect, the rattles) are not up to scratch. We are British, living in Prague and we bought in Dresden, Germany. All very complicated, but the Hobby factory was extremely helpful and friendly in providing information in English, and the documentation we needed to re-register etc. I had the feeling of a very good company. If they products are ubiquitous, its because they are so good (and they last).

(I was distressed by the knee-jerk discussion of Gypsies, and its tone. As a tribe, "Motorhomers" display their own peculiar habits, and I would have expected us to be tolerant, even admiring of our close relatives!)

15. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi Peter

I think should take on Hobby .. .. never owned one but they were high on my list when I was looking at buying my last euro van.. I eventually bought a Karmann.
    IMO they are stylish, well constructed with a good range of layouts and having the option of a Transit chassis will be a welcome alternative to the British offerings.

Jim

16. A and K

Totally agree! Thats exactly what we were trying to say.
    As said in our first post.. "well built, quality motorhome" We own one so we talk from experience.
    Go for it Peter!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  17. takeaflight

takeaflight Read Only Funster

We to have looked at Hobby and liked what we saw, however there does seem to be a lot of grey imports.
    Dependent on the dealers view point this may be a good thing or bad, good for repairs and warranty work, bad for the sales.
    If you stock German and English vans at least you have something to offer the majority of buyers.

So in short if it was me then I probably would take up the opportunity, pity its not Hymer, then I really do think you could give a well known dealer a run for the money.

What ever conculsion you arrive at, I wish you well.:thumb:

Roy

18. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Its a credit to you as a dealer and to Motor Home Fun, to think this forum and its members worthy to assist in making your decision
    for what its worth Peter
    any and all strings to ones bow can only be beneficial in this climate,
    I like hobby as a manufacturer and would say a resounding YES:thumb:
    Geo

19. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

I reckon they are great and will be a real asset to you Peter.

20. Roccker

Roccker Deleted User

Hobby Motorhomes, good payload and superb roadholding

We definately agree with the reputation that Hobby have of building quality motorhomes.The build quality is excellent.Very good payload and superb roadholding.