LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Some one not licenced, properly trained or insured to fly devices over me and mine, which is putting me and mine at risk, should expect me to defend myself and my property
I would therefore expect, to have the right to defend me and mine by bringing the offending machine down!

:cooler:
Just occurred to me, one of Mrs Deluxe's friends is a professional photographer. To use a drone for his job he had to pass an examination to gain a licence (presumably the CAA) and also be fully insured. He is an example of how drones should be used

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
As

As I said - fly it over my van and I will take a shot at it. Not a single cps regional office would prosecute me in these circumstances. As you have pointed out the guidance is to use well away from persons and property - breach the guidance and folk can take reasonable precautions to protect their own. Plenty of evidence available showing what damage these boys toys can cause when guidance is not followed.
I think you would have an uphill struggle proving that you shot someone's drone because you or your property were in danger. It would be up to you to prove what would have happened if you hadn't taken action. Most likely, you would be prosecuted for criminal damage as well as for breaches of the Firearms act or Town Police clauses act.

Anyway, they are just toys.......

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Just occurred to me, one of Mrs Deluxe's friends is a professional photographer. To use a drone for his job he had to pass an examination to gain a licence (presumably the CAA) and also be fully insured. He is an example of how drones should be used

His website...... http://www.flyingtigers.co.uk

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I think you would have an uphill struggle proving that you shot someone's drone because you or your property were in danger. It would be up to you to prove what would have happened if you hadn't taken action. Most likely, you would be prosecuted for criminal damage as well as for breaches of the Firearms act or Town Police clauses act.

Anyway, they are just toys.......

They are not just toys!

If you fly or hover over me and mine, be prepared to be shot down!

If you are a photographer, why are you flying over me without permission?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
They are not just toys!

If you fly or hover over me and mine, be prepared to be shot down!

If you are a photographer, why are you flying over me without permission?

Not in agreement with the shooting down bit but that is mostly because I'm a terrible shot and we are under the approach path to Stansted and as much as I loath RyanAir, I don't loathe their crew and passengers enough to risk a potshot(y)

Joke,

OP
OP
stuurman

stuurman

Free Member
Jul 26, 2008
in my van all over Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
as of may 28, 2009, fulltimer
I found while searching the internet about drones that there are several courtcases pending about people shooting down drones, especially in the States. We'll find out what courts think about it eventually. Regards, Hans.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Some one not licenced, properly trained or insured to fly devices over me and mine, which is putting me and mine at risk, should expect me to defend myself and my property
I would therefore expect, to have the right to defend me and mine by bringing the offending machine down!
It is not illegal to discharge an air gun over my own property or any property where I have permission, providing I don't do it over adjoining properties where I don't have permission.
I would only bring one down, if it were directly over my property.

So, if you shot at a drone flying over your property and hit it so it went out of control and crashed, (bearing in mind it would probably have some forward momentum), it is unlikely that it would come down in your garden safely. What if it caused damage to your neighbours property or hit a person nearby.
Who would be responsible?

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
So in case it fell on you, you'd shoot it just to be certain it did. :rofl:

I thought that!! If he was lucky enough to hit it how would you know where it might crash and what damaged it might do.?
Seems a ridiculous statement to make.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
So, if you shot at a drone flying over your property and hit it so it went out of control and crashed, (bearing in mind it would probably have some forward momentum), it is unlikely that it would come down in your garden safely. What if it caused damage to your neighbours property or hit a person nearby.
Who would be responsible?

I still don't know if a .22 would bring it down, but if it did, then how would you or anyone else know who had shot it down?
Anyway, I think eventually, no one will be allowed to fly these things, outside their own property, or property where permission has been granted, unless they have a licence and insurance!

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Why.....do you have something to hide.
What about the car following you with a dash cam trained on tje back of your car/mh....are you going to stop them and destroy that.
With all due respect, that is a very lame analogy!

I drive in public areas, my property is a private area!

I have nothing to hide, but I have a right to privacy, on my own property!

OP
OP
stuurman

stuurman

Free Member
Jul 26, 2008
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I still don't know if a .22 would bring it down, but if it did, then how would you or anyone else know who had shot it down?
Anyway, I think eventually, no one will be allowed to fly these things, outside their own property, or property where permission has been granted, unless they have a licence and insurance!

I think that license and insurance will be the future too, coupled ofcourse with a drone tax because the Government don't want to miss out on that extra income, haha.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User

I can just see the headlines...Drone is shot down, crashes into car causing it to swerve into children waiting for bus......Would you still think it was a good thing to do?, would you keep quiet?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Why.....do you have something to hide.
What about the car following you with a dash cam trained on tje back of your car/mh....are you going to stop them and destroy that.
A very public road is slightly different to my private back garden, though, isn't it? Not a great argument, that.....

Reactions: JJ

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I think that license and insurance will be the future too, coupled ofcourse with a drone tax because the Government don't want to miss out on that extra income, haha.

I agree, but also individuals will have to publish a flight plan, so the public have a right to deny access below a certain altitude.

OP
OP
stuurman

stuurman

Free Member
Jul 26, 2008
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
As of january 2016 it is illegal in Holland to fly anthing above 150 meters, so the beginning of licensing etc is there. Soon there will be rules about flying over private property.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I just had a word with the Cremlin and the Whitehouse asking them not to fly their spy satellites over our house as it infringes my right to privacy.

Thats how ridiculous this thread has become.
Or indeed comments like that...... We are discussing low flying drones flown by public people, not spy satellites operated by governments, in case you hadn't noticed.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
As of january 2016 it is illegal in Holland to fly anthing above 150 meters, so the beginning of licensing etc is there. Soon there will be rules about flying over private property.
Well, there have been a few incidents of people flying drones into flight paths of approaching aircraft at (for example) Southend and I think Heathrow, which are regarded very seriously. I don't know what action, if any was taken. Then the guy who was arrested and banged up because he (rather stupidly) lost control of his drone near the White House :) :doh:

Nothing wrong with sensible use of these things, but common sense must be used

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In case you hadn't figured it out, the comment was tongue in cheek.

Personally I couldnt give a flying f@@k whether anybody approves of camera drones over their property or not...it doesnt bother me in the slightest as I have nothing to hide.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
In case you hadn't figured it out, the comment was tongue in cheek.

Personally I couldnt give a flying f@@k whether anybody approves of camera drones over their property or not...it doesnt bother me in the slightest as I have nothing to hide.

No need to swear.

OP
OP
stuurman

stuurman

Free Member
Jul 26, 2008
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I read the CAA articles kindly provided by @sdc77 (thank you!) and as I read it, it is allowed to fly over properties and people when over 50 meter, when drone is under 20 kg and drone is within sight of the person in charge.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Really disappointed that some posts on this thread have degraded to silly petty squabbling, some of you seem bored with the subject [or just plain bored?] and just want to be childish

The OP questions was a good topic starter
There have been some nice posts

But guns and smashing things up, grow up

I'm getting bored now................... of the dumb posts!

>>>>

thanks for letting me get that of my chest

Now where we Hans?

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Nice to see everyone likes to get a gun out and have a pot shot at a drone. You will only hit a drone with a .22 if it is hovering. You wont have a chance even if it is only doing 20mph. Also RC planes can be fitted with a camera more sport for the shoot it down gang.

I will be starting my glider pilots licence when the weather gets a bit better and warmer. I shall have a camera in with me. Will the pot shot gang also start on them.

GROW UP or have you got something to hide.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back