Hobby 750 series. Your experience please. (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter boygeorge & nikki
  • Start date
B

boygeorge & nikki

Deleted User
Hello all from George & Nikki.
We are looking forward to a life changing tour of europe & will be newby motorhomers. We have spent months researching American RVs & have now ruled these out. We like the look of the Hobby 750 series but have found it very difficult to view any so when I found this forum I thought it a good idea to get some advice from the experts ( you guys ) & possibly find some contacts who would be willing to assist with our research. We live in Bognor Regis - West Sussex & look forward to your input. All the best - hopefuly talk soon.::bigsmile:

A and K

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since April 07'
Hello George and Nikki,
Welcome to Motorhome fun :Smile:
The Hobby 750 is a good choice of motorhome in our opinion... we speak from experience as we have one!! :thumb:::bigsmile:::bigsmile::thumb:
We have a 2005' Hobby 750 FML on a Fiat Ducato 2.8JTD.We are very happy with it. It drives superbly and has excellent road holding being as it is a tag axle.This also gives a very good payload.It has a large lounge area (we have seated 7 with ease) also there is plenty of worktop space in the kitchen.The build quality is very good and solid.
If we can be of any help with advice or info then please don't hesitate to PM us :thumb:

OP
OP
B

boygeorge & nikki

Deleted User
Many thanks for your reply

Hello Angie & Keith
Many thanks for your response.
I have sent you a PM.
All the best George & Nikki:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

We were offered (begged more like) to take a Hobby dealership but decided against it due to the inherrent problems showuld we require spares from abroad or having to return vans back to factory for warranty work

NOT knocking Hobby by any means at all but there could be problems in that area.

Prefer British where we get guaranteed back up.

Peter

OP
OP
B

boygeorge & nikki

Deleted User
Hello from George & Nikki

Thanks Peter for your reply. I take on your points & I may come over to see you.
Thanks again
George

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
You pays your money you takes your choice, personally we wouldn't buy british, regretable as it is to say that but the truth is they look good but they are not good enough when it comes to wear and tear (Build quality). We have a Eura-Mobil and love it, but to be honest most of the German vans are quality including Hymer, Burnister, Nishman and Bishcoff etc. We know A and K and have had many a coffee (or at least that what K calls it:ROFLMAO:) in their van and the 750i is a lovely van and if we were 2 not 3 I'd love it. Good luck what ever you decide on

joanie

Free Member
Mar 24, 2008
donegal,ireland
Funster No
Exp
three years,on and off
hi george and nikki,welcome, we have a hobby 750 and are very happy with it,we went to germany to buy it four years ago its a 1998 tag axle,has plenty of room and we have had no probs with it at all:Smile: we have seen one or two on ebay and other sites,if you go for a new one or used i think you would be happy with it,best of luck and happy travels.:ROFLMAO:::bigsmile::thumb:joanie.

A and K

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since April 07'
Hi George and Nikki,
We've replied to your PM :thumb:
Hope all the info helps :Smile:

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi George and Nikki,

You know when you ask a question like this you are likely to get every answer possible!

With that said here is my story.

I started my MH career with a Hobby 750 - you should still find a manual in the down load sections that I uploaded - It was a short lived ownership because the MH turned out to be stolen and with a threat of involving both the Police and my credit card company I got my money back in cash!

During my ownership and subsequent purchase of a Winnebago Itasca Suncruiser I have formed both opinions and facts on the Hobby.

I chose the 750 because it seemed to me that this was an ideal family van, with what appeared to be good seating and sleeping arrangements. What I found out is that the seating was not only poor but very uncomfortable. The dining arrangement was almost pointless. This layout (FMSE) had a single captains chair that would not allow you to sit correctly to eat a meal. The bench seat was too far away and both front captains chairs where of no use as they are also too far away. In my 6 weeks of ownership I had decided to cut the table off and fit a free standing one that would hopefully have solved this problem.

The main sleeping area has a curtain to section itself off from the living area and second bed. If you have someone who snores, forget living in separate areas, it does not work! Particularly if the other is a light sleeper, you will have to keep getting out of bed to try and stop the other snoring!

Galley are is OK, with adequate facilities for this type of MH. Toilet is very cramped being down the side of what is an inadequate bed for a 6 footer. Storage on the FMSE is, I guess, similar to other sized vehicles.

The quality of the van seemed OK, but I found that you only had to tap the wood and mostly fake covering to actually go through it and get to the chipboard.

When I contacted Hobby in the UK to find some spares, even sending them a photo of a very specific hinge that had broken and a fuse holder, they spent all of the 6 weeks of my ownership, not doing anything! To this day they have still not got back to me and this was after, phone calls, emails and more phone calls. TBH the best response I got was from the much beleaguered dealership in Swindon!

But with an RV, most of these shortcomings are resolved.

Wood for the most part is wood. You shut a door to go to bed, so even if they want to watch the TV in the living area you can barely hear them. Storage is of course huge. Seating around the dining table is excellent and allows everyone access to the table.

Of course there is a downside! When anyone talks about buying an RV, I explain 'only do so if you have no concern over fuel and costs of ownership'. If for one moment you think you will be worried about the cost of running a 7 1/2 litre V8, or whatever engine is in your proposed RV, then you really must forget it. Otherwise you will be panicking every time you go and and lo and behold the weekend away just became a financial nightmare!

As to spares, my Winnebago is a 1994. Mention that to Hobby and they will tell you to take a hike. I have a full manual of every and I mean every part including screws, nuts and bolts, downloaded from the Winnebago website. Whatever I want I can contact Lindy on this forum and get it replaced just like that! Including a replacement window when some mindless vandal threw a stone at the RV and smashed a side pane!

Sorry if this is blunt and to the point, however it is my opinion and as stated at the beginning, asking a question like this will, if people want to be honest, give you a multitude of answers.

Good luck in your search. Oh and by the way take the offer up to go look round John Cross Motorhomes!

Also contact Lindy on this site for advice on what might be a suitable RV based on your circumstances.

Best regards

Chris

OP
OP
B

boygeorge & nikki

Deleted User
Thank you Chris for such a detailed reply !!!!

Hi Chris
Just got home from table tennis & thought must check the forum - well.
Thank you for your very detailed story. I was very interested to hear your comments & will think on them. I obviously have a lot of homework to do.
Many thanks. Speak again
:cry::thumb:Regards
George

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi george and nikki,

iv never had a hobby motorhome but i have had a twin axle hobby caravan.

build quality was second to none, seemed to be made from bricks and RSJ's.

at just under 2000kg i think it was...:ROFLMAO:

furniture and fitting were solid and very well built.

typical eurovan though....no oven, only a microwave and hob.
TV cabinet was totally useless being above the kitchen area (minor point) and unless you had binoculars you couldnt see the TV.
seems the germans dont go in for home entertainment:cry:

OP
OP
B

boygeorge & nikki

Deleted User
Many thanks for your reply Pappajohn

Hello Papajohn
Thanks for your Hobby caravan comments. We did look at some caravans & I agree the build quality of the German vans did impress. We look forward t viewing some 750s. Thanks again for your input.
All the best George
Summer is coming so it won't be dark so much of the time (be careful of the light).::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back