xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
Set off this morning on our first trip away. Dropped missus off at Tesco for a few last minute things while I went off and topped up on diesel. Was leaving pumps and noticed a yellow triangle with an ! had come on dash, got out manual and it says minor fault see dealer. Time now 9.35 and have to be at ferry 11 mile away for 10.00 so pick up Deb and cross the road to my pals Peugeot garage who say probably a none OEM filter and improper reset of service light so should be ok. Set of for ferry, get there and called to wait at top of ramp to be put on first I notice the triangle goes out, cool beans I think then audible alarm comes on with an insufficient oil pressure message and red oil light on, b********s ! as i am idling I give the throttle a blip and it goes out then back on so rev it for longer, goes out then stays on :( Get waved at by ferry marshal to proceed on to ferry, emm dont think so wave him over and explain dilemma and pull out of queue stop engine and check oil level and for leaks but everything looks ok, wait a minute and start engine but warning comes back on so go park up and have a cup of tea. Start engine and still error so take the chance that its not something serious but not chancing going away and head back home and dump van at peugeot for diagnostic and oil/filter change . Garage say they have seen a lot of vans lately with the same error and usually down to cheap filters or wrong grade of oil but obviously not confirming anything until they look :(

OP
OP
xulih

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
Its 62 reg with 12500 mile, it was serviced by the dealer we I bought it from in November, its probably nothing but I always take low oil pressure as a warning worth investigating.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Hope it gets sorted and your on your way...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
What a bummer! Think you were wise not to get on the ferry; you would only be worrying about it and that would spoil the trip.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
hopefully its nothing serious and you'll be on your way soon

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My overfilled light came on the other day 8000 miles since it was new with fresh factory oil in, went out and come on again late but haven't seen it since, over sensitive system on mine, methinks. After all it didn't produce more oil and the level is just fine on the dipstick and with the automatic oil level reader.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
After all it didn't produce more oil .

No but it is possible to get a water leak into the oil. Usually indicated by white sludge on the dipstick.. Highly unlikely but something you can now worry about.

Luddite says "stuff these over complex motors".

OP
OP
xulih

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
My overfilled light came on the other day 8000 miles since it was new with fresh factory oil in, went out and come on again late but haven't seen it since, over sensitive system on mine, methinks. After all it didn't produce more oil and the level is just fine on the dipstick and with the automatic oil level reader.

No but it is possible to get a water leak into the oil. Usually indicated by white sludge on the dipstick.. Highly unlikely but something you can now worry about.

Luddite says "stuff these over complex motors".

Or faulty injectors that can drip diesel into cylinder causing bore wear and increase in oil level.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
On tractors the power steering pump can blow oil into the engine as well, don't think it's the same on vans though, hopefully(y):whistle:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008

DPF engines can dilute the oil when doing a forced regeneration. It dilutes the oil with diesel.
So dont ignore a raising oil level, it can ultimately be catastrophic to the engine.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I had the oil level too high on mine once. I phoned my garage from France. He reckoned there was probably a bit too much oil in from the service it had just had. The merc does not have anything as straightforward as a dipstick so not easy to get the level exactly right. He was correct as after 1000 miles or so the warning disappeared never to be seen again.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
So sorry to hear of your change of plan . After all the excitement and planning and so near the ferry it must be disappointing. Much better to get it sorted before you go . Let's hope you are on the road soon.
Safe travels.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Wasn't it so easy when you just pulled out the dipstick on a Sunday morning!Filters always fitted and nothing to reset with a computer.
Great having this technology but seems many of the systems are fragile electrically.
Then you have the decision to make like the OP,which can be really difficult to make as in his example,do I proceed and have the constant little bugger blinking at you:eek: or go straight to the nearest garage,knowing you may well get ripped of.
Hope it turns out to be nothing serious.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Have to sympathise with you @xulih.
First for missing out on your trip :(
Second for having a Tesco on your lovely island :whistle:

Hope it's sorted soon and that it's a bit of 'something and nothing'

OP
OP
xulih

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
Have to sympathise with you @xulih.
First for missing out on your trip :(
Second for having a Tesco on your lovely island :whistle:

Hope it's sorted soon and that it's a bit of 'something and nothing'

Hate Tesco but a necessary evil I guess. Just going to collect van now. No info on peugeot system other than low oil pressure. Oil and filter change seem to have put the lights out mean time. They did say that there is a slight weeping of oil around the oil pressure sensor but have not changed it but would recommend that it is changed sometime soon.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
There have been recalls on the 2.2 engine fitted to Peugeots ( and other vehicles using the same engine) for faulty oil pumps. Check with the garage when you collect it that yours isn't on the list.

OP
OP
xulih

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
Oil light came back on after 7 mile on way home :( so waiting for a new sensor. I have checked online and no mention of an oil pump recall but will check with garage on Tuesday when new sensor should be here.

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
I was considering getting a later model to replace Helen after my travels this year - fancied one with a smiley face but reading so many of the reports on here about later vehicles i am beginning to change my mind.

I think I may well be better off paying out a few more thousand on Helen and keeping her than updating. You don't get more basic than she is, OK I will be barred from many cities but I would not want to drive into those anyway, rather get the train or bus. I don't think my Mercedes lump would be even Euro 0 and Critair no chance.

The closest thing I have to computer is the Solar Tyre Pal sitting next to the speedo. If the tales are to be believed then the engine is good for at least another 100000 miles (where's some wood to touch) and I have already replaced just about everything else on the vehicle mechanics. Not because it needed to be replaced but to keep risk to a minimum. Barring a catastrophic failure I should be OK.

I hope you will have a satisfactory conclusion and all you others having problems. When I consider the outlay some of you have made on your pride and joys I am amazed at what happens to you.

I thank my lucky stars!

Good luck Tuesday and I hope you are en route soon.

Clive

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I think it was the Ford engines that had the oil pump problems along with injector timing breaking pistons on cold starts, those are fitted to other vans from other makes as well.

OP
OP
xulih

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
I think it was the Ford engines that had the oil pump problems along with injector timing breaking pistons on cold starts, those are fitted to other vans from other makes as well.
Same base engine in the boxer but as far as I can make out there is no recall on peugeot oil pumps but there may be a TSB (technical service bulletin) highlighting issues. All this means is an alert to check oil pump and best case senario if it fails is the part will be supplied but labour costs are payed. My son in law was working at the peugeot garage to help out when they had staff problems and checked mine for TSBs and said there were over 40 ! but didnt know if oil pump was included.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The most important ts is the ecu update to prevent over fueling killing the engine. A few members on here have suffered catastrophic engine failure. If the ecu update has not been done Peugeot refuse to honour the warranty

OP
OP
xulih

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
Not getting much time to come on here these last few weeks but thought I would post an update. New sensor fitted and sorted :) Got away for a few days and well happy with the van and how it all works. Got a small list of thing needed, nothing much just things like a plug for sinks :whistle:
van534.JPG

Nice view to waken to :)
van705.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back