Hit & Run Bas---d

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by New Dawn, May 27, 2014.

1. New Dawn

New Dawn Funster

I would like to meet up with the arsehole motorhomer who thinks it's fun to come down a mountain Rd at ridiculous speed, whilst the front end is bouncing around like a rubber ball, loses control & uses us as a battering ram to slow him down, thus taking the drivers side wing mirror completely off, putting a large crease in the door, & all the way down the side of the van. Also Not failing to stop.
    Now, we are faced with the prospect of not being able to do what we bought the motorhome for, ie touring (10mths old) But endless calls to insurance. Getting repair quotes. Increased premiums. Why don't they realise, it's not a car, there is a lot of length & WEIGHT behind you (Foreign plate). I really hope we can meet. "Your light will be going out " !!!!! :Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry:

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

What a shame... Lot to be said for in cab cameras.:Eeek: Hopefully your insurance company will be quick and you'll be sorted soonest:thumb:

3. scousebird

scousebird Funster

oooooh, not funny. :Sad:

4. sb8263

sb8263 Funster

sorry to hear this,,,,hope you get sorted and yes with luck,,meet up with the driver again on your terms,,,,:Angry:

5. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

Sorry to hear this, hope it gets sorted soon

6. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Perhaps he wasn't deliberately driving like a lunatic but had over heated his brakes to the point of fade and simply couldn't stop? Little consolation I know but worth a thought perhaps.

D.

• Like Like x 1
  7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I hope you reported it to the Police, was it on a getaway from a crime ?

Where was this ?

8. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Rotten luck, hope you're ok . I have my Roadhawk camera, wouldn't stop it happening but at least they could be found :Angry:

• Like Like x 1
  9. New Dawn

New Dawn Funster

Hi hildweller.
    Did report to police. Was in Glencoe !!!

10. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Really rotten luck, as said by others invest in a camera it does give peace of mind.

11. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I really feel for you.

Something similar happened to me and the insurance company paid up for the car very quickly. It took 4 years for the personal injury case though... all settled now. The proceeds went a long way towards the MH but I'd rather have full use of my hands
    :Sad:.

I have a dash cam, at first I thought it was a bit of a toy but it's brilliant. I leave it on the windscreen when we leave the MH as it looks like a camera and coming back to the MH one time there was a couple of youths looking into all the vehicles - we heard one say to the other, stay away from that one (ours) it's got CCTV. Maybe they were harmless but you never know. We watched them leave the car park and get on a bus..... didn't call the police of challenge them, maybe we should have.

• Like Like x 2
  12. geo glasgow

geo glasgow Read Only Funster

at least your ok u could have been standing at side of van

at least your safe..
    i was up that way the other day,, hired fcn motorhomes hope it is then the wee bas&*D will have a shit load to pay back ,,, if its not hired theres some damage to his or hers,, please get a dash cam pennies even with mini screen,, records every second,, hit and run would have got them 6 points and a £600 fine and damages to you,, there are cameras on some of the roads there not speed but compliance monitoring cameras ..
    can u post damage to the van on here ??
    best of luck sorting out ,,

13. Edenside

Edenside Funster

We also now use a camera recording our trip was bought from eBay cannot remember the exact price but it was just a little over £30 plus memory card and takes quite a good picture.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Got mine from Amazon and it was about £40 including the memory card. Technomoan gave it a good write up.

Obviously Chinese and looks like a camera from outside the vehicle. I have it on the passenger side, well out of the driver's line of vision and zoomed in a couple of times. When we stop I take off the power lead but leave the camera in place. The internal battery has a very limited life, that's my only criticism.

I'm thinking of getting a second camera for the car.

15. Jamwitt

Jamwitt Funster Life Member

Hi puddleduck do you no the name of your camara :Smile:

16. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

It was the E-PRANCE

E-PRANCE New G1W Novatek 2.7" Car Dashcamera Driving Recorder + 1920*1080P 30FPS + G-sensor + Car License Plate + MOV + 140 Degree Wide Angle Lens + Night Vision

The bigger the memory card the more they cost. It doesn't take the newest generation of memory card but I just got the card with the camera. The instructions were pretty rubbish but there are You-Tube how-to tutorials.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IPDD37Q/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=electronics is the Amazon link. I'm sure they have been reviewed on this site as well.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  17. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

Very easy to do - my brakes overheated in Yorkshire as we were travelling around the moors and I thought that they had failed completely - I had to stand on my brake pedal to make any difference. Doesn't excuse the driver not stopping at the bottom or reporting the incident to the police.

18. easygirl

easygirl Read Only Funster

I would contact the local police for 2 reasons
    Your insurance may insist yiu report
    The other driver of the motorhome may have reported the collision to the police
    Yiu never know

19. New Dawn

New Dawn Funster

The motorhome did have foreign plates, he could have had over heated brakes. Can't rule that out. I agree with the camera in the cab idea, and are now looking into getting one. As my other half pointed out, " it's going to happen at some point". No matter how carefull we are, or try to be, :cry::cry:

20. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Sorry to hear about your damage

This thread has got me wondering what I would do

Presumably this happened on a windy bit of road, so you were both out of sight of each other soon after the glancing blow occurred, certainly by the time you could both stop safely I would guess you were

So would I have turned round to see if they had stopped, not sure, this would probably mean going for a good bit further to find somewhere big and safe enough to turn

The same would apply to the other driver, in this case foreign, equally not knowing what to do for the best (I am presuming in my situation it is not a simple hit and run, but a genuine accident)

So if it had happened to me say in France, I stopped when safe, waited and nobody came back, what would I do next? Being honest, having had a language issue with French police some years ago I might not bother if the damage was light, if there was broken glass I would report it

In the UK I would definitely report it as I know the law better, but the same as above would apply, I would stop and wait for the other driver to come back for a while, then go back to see if they had stopped. But how long would you both wait before turning back?

Another conundrum to consider when driving around next :Doh: