Hit By An Hgv Truck While On The Hard Shoulder Of The M6 (1 Viewer)

Pollyandarthur

Free Member
Jan 9, 2015
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph Approach
Exp
I'm a newbie
We were travelling on the M6 yesterday near the Shap exit and the MH had a loss of power, we made it to the hard shoulder just as it stopped completely. We put on the hazard lights and tried to restart a couple of times but no go. We called the Peugeot line as they give free assistance for the first year, they said some one would be out to help asap. I went to get coats and Mrs went to the bathroom prior to going to wait on grass verge. There was a huge bang, an HGV truck hit the side of the MH taking out the bathroom and shower, in fact the whole corner and most of the side of the MH. How Mrs survived is a miracle. She is sore and very bruised but alive.
At least the driver stopped. The highways authority and the police were involved and we are hoping there won't be too much hassle re insurance. The MH is less than three months old and has not even done 1000 miles. I am so grateful we are both still alive but it feels like we have lost our dream.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Jeez, so glad to hear you both got out relatively unscathed, I do hope you have no issues with the insurance, very best of luck (y)

I was expecting a video link to some eastern European accident, not one of our own

Bring the bits down to Airmyn next weekend, we will see if we can't 'fix - it':LOL:, sorry I know its not a joke

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
Hope you feel able to carry on with your dream once things are sorted.

Very best of luck for the future.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Crikey what a horrible experience

You were lucky to get out alive

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Glad you both survived since that does sound awfull . I hope that you will have no problem with insurance . I also hope that this has not put you off and you can carry on motorhoming after everything is settled .

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Now thats what you call lucky, glad both of you are still in one piece but don't let if put you off motor homing - just careless HGV Drivers

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You were indeed very lucky but you should have got out of the vehicle immediately you stopped and called for help standing on the grass bank or whatever was there. A lesson learned for everyone.

OP
OP
Pollyandarthur

Pollyandarthur

Free Member
Jan 9, 2015
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph Approach
Exp
I'm a newbie
What an amazing escape did you have a hazard triangle out? Insurance should not be a problem.
Hi wildman, no but the 4 way flashers were on. the driver of the HGV said he had to pull to the left as another HGV that was overtaking him and got too close.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thank goodness you are both OK, have to confess I would have phoned the breakdown services from inside the van as it is so noisy on the verge that its virtually impossible to hear anyone, have tried it and had to get back in van to be heard. Please don't think anyone is criticizing you getting your stuff, it's much easier to think clearly from the safety of the sofa at home!

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
As a fellow MH and Bailey owner if there is anything I can do to help don't hesitate to ask , so glad you are both OK !

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Pleased to read your both ok. A lesson to us all, they say the hard shoulder is the most dangerous piece of road any driver may use, I guess the lesson is to exit the vehicle asap,pleased to read the hgv stopped and no doubt his insurance will cover all your costs. Keep a note of all expenses the collision causes and claim every penny.

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
Just count your lucky stars you are both alive and well.

Insurance will sort the rest out............Be happy....dont stress...

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Wow, what an awfull experience!!!
Glad to hear you are both relatively unscathed.
With luck the insurance will be straightforward.
Please keep us posted with your progress.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
So sorry to hear your traumatic story . You were so lucky indeed. Hope all gets quickly resolved and your wife quickly recovers.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Glad your both ok(y)

Things will seem so much better in a few days.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I was on the A47 a few days ago and I pulled into a small lay-by for a waz in the rear MH bathroom. As I'm doing the necessary, the vehicle was rocked by each passing lorry and van. I distinctly remember thinking, 'Christ, if anyone hit the rear now, I'm a gonner'

When I read your post, it made me shiver!

I'm terribly sorry to hear about the crash. Always, the reply on here is, it's only metal and bodywork not you! The MH can be repaired/written off. This could have been a tragedy; thankfully, it isn't.

Soon be back on the road again.
Best wishes to you both
James

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Wow made me shudder reading this. So glad your both ok, the motorhome can be replaced you can't. Hope it does not put you off having a motorhome and the insurance are on the case and deal with it quickly. Good luck. (y)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Wow, I'm so glad your both ok,makes me shudder too,I've seem lots of people sit in their cars when broken down and I confess I would probably do the same, sitting in the vehicle to wait for assistance, I won't now though!

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Glad you are both OK. Lets hope the insurance goes through quickly and smoothly.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
You are so lucky. I'm so pleased you're both OK. Hope people are reminded what a terribly dangerous place hard shoulders are

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Glad to hear that you both came out unscathed , which is a miracle in itself.
I've done the same as wingman before & thought exactly the same as he did.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As I am currently doing my HGV training I took an additional interest in this.

I am really sorry to hear about this and relieved that no serious injury happened. Van's can be replaced humans can't so don't worry about the van the insurance will sort that out.

As for advice, you probably have this figured out now due to experience. But for others. As previously said. The best advice is to get out ASAP and on the other side of the crash barrier. Exit the vehicle from the passenger side. Keep an eye on the road at all times even when on the other side of the crash barrier and be prepared to move if necessary. Forget the warning triangle in this country unless on a country lane after a bend or over the brow of a hill.

As for phoning before getting out. I would strongly advise against this. Get out ASAP.

I broke down in france and immediately got out of the van and ordered my passenger on to the other side of the crash barriers. I had to walk over a mile up the road to the garage. When I came back she was sat in the van saying that it was too hot. I was still about 3-400 metres away from the van when the motorway rescue people pulled up and bollocked her.

The advice about getting out of the vehicle is not health and safety gone mad it is vital and life saving instructions. At most grab your phone, wallet and coat. Nothing more.

As for the HGV driver, I am guessing he may have to pay a visit to the TC to explain himself. Without having seen the collision I couldn't guess. But I could see a situation whereby choosing to clip your van rather than ricochet off another HGV and then hit your van full force may be a viable explanation. Just hope he had a dash cam to back this up.

Just really happy that neither of you were seriously injured or worse.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back