HIRING A MOTORHOME

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Big bus man, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Big bus man

Big bus man

Many will have thought about it and many of you will have done it prior to owning yours, a great way to experience the life especially if you currently own a caravan, you will be converted! Because it is reasonably priced it can make a good travelling holiday. Our first hire was a bit scary being so different to a car, it was the thin lanes and the overcab height being the worry, especially as we found out that 'full cover' insurance only covers the vehicle unto 3 metres high, but by the time the week was up it was a breeze so the next time we hired a longer van, again great but twice was enough to make us decide we had to have our own, no way way I going to wait for retirement. We learned a lot from hiring and would advise any prospective buyer to try before you buy.
    Did anyone else hire a motorhome before buying their own?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

No but if you don't have a good idea of what you want it can make sense..better then spending bundles on the wrong van that's for sure! Cheaper to hire in Europe though!

3. ericroy

ericroy Funster

Agree with the principle completely. We hired before building (rather than buying) our own. I could not imagine spending that amount of money without testing first!

In our case we were testing both whether we would like being in a tin box after 40 years under canvas (only on holidays ;)) and also whether the layout we proposed to build would work. We were fortunate in being able to find a hire vehicle similar to what we were planning to build. We learnt some useful things from the hire and were able to improve our plans as a result.

4. Tackle man

Tackle man Deleted User

We didn't hire first. We started by visiting dealers and looking around vans and test driving a few some years ago.
    We are on our 3rd motorhome now, A Hymer Exsis i 688 and love it!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Yes, we hired many times, and in fact the van we bought is actually one that we had hired! :D

6. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

A three week hire in the US resulted in selling our boat and buying our first RV (y)

7. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Good choice... Does it work @
    3500? Or are you on heavier chassis

• Like Like x 2
  8. The Happy Couple

The Happy Couple Funster

We had every intention of hiring first and were at one of our local dealers yards to book the holiday hire when we came across "our Betty" - everything fell into place with the layout we wanted, the price and condition (given her age). We haggled for some extras and haven't looked back since. Neither of us have had Motorhomes or caravans before but we did spend a lot of time thinking about what we really wanted before we jumped in at the proverbial deep end!

9. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

You can hire from us and if you then decide to buy, get a rebate on some of your hire !

Peter

• Like Like x 4
  10. The Dude

The Dude Funster

We hired at first - I hated it!! 2 years later with husband still wanting a motorhome I gave in and we bought our first van. Now 3 years later, thousands of miles under our (fan :D) belt, we're on our 3rd van and I am totally smitten with the whole motorhomeing lifestyle. Love it! love it!

• Like Like x 1
  11. deanroofing

deanroofing Funster

My wife wanted a caravan, the lifestyle never appealed to me at all, so has a compromise l surprised her by hiring a MH, thought show her how crap it is, get it out of her system and move on, l loved it totally different go where you want when you want, so we bought an ex hire of the peeps we hired from, sold that and got another and still loving it, and apparently she told me so.

12. gailsunnymeed

gailsunnymeed Funster

Yes we hired twice before buying and it helped us decide what layout we wanted before we bought and we are still on our first van and will probably only change the van when we retire.
    Gail

13. Adbt

Adbt Funster

We had a Danbury T2 which we part X'ed for the Bailey . We had a Cotswold trip booked but no van ( there was a two week hiatus ) so we hired a MH.
    Great experience and learning curve , really helped on the handover of the Bailey as I knew what the tech was talking about !

14. St piran

St piran Read Only Funster

Hired twice, loved it, bought our own, still love it.

15. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

3 vans in 3 years. That's some going, did you not manage to find the right one at first, or just like variety? :)

16. solo 1

solo 1 Funster Life Member

17. solo 1

solo 1 Funster Life Member

Those ashtrays soon fill up don't they............:D:LOL:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Tackle man

Tackle man Deleted User

Am on 3500 chassis and have no problem with weight.
    I have to admit I haven't weighed each axle yet but total weight with everything we"re likely to take (including condensed Fishing Tackle :D ), is 3410 kg. The Alko chassis lives up to its name and gives an excellent stable drive. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  19. ericroy

ericroy Funster

Since we were contemplating a MH to extend our "camping" season from what was comfortable under canvas (ie usually up to end of September) we hired the first week in December. This enabled us to see what the experience was like in cooler weather and also had the advanatage of being much cheaper.....:D

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tackle man

Tackle man Deleted User

Don't know what happened to this post?
    My PC threw a wobbly

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 1