Hiring a Motor Home - France road trip 2016 :) (1 Viewer)

JKSara

Free Member
May 17, 2016
Kendal, The Lake District
Funster No
MH
Hiring one this Summer
Exp
First time
Hi,

Firstly, I am a complete newbie here, so be gentle please. ;)

We've decided to hire a motor home for our summer hols this year, its booked for 2 weeks in August and although we have been to France lots, we have always stayed in statics with Al Fresco/Keycamp, etc either Vendee or the south St Raphael area and once a long time ago Argeles. Has anyone any tips for a route south from Dover, where to visit, where to stop, what to see, etc, etc....

Open to any suggestions, and advice as to whether we need to book campsites or should we just see where we end up? We do want to have at least week somewhere near the beach too probably on the Med, Frejus, Argeles, somewhere like that but totally open to suggestion. I suspect we will have to definitely book that part as I know what it's like down there in August...!! Or are there smaller sites that we could just turn up at...

I have just ordered the North and South Aires books, so hopefully that will have some ideas in too, and considering the France-Passion thing too...

Sorry if that's a load of questions but we are proper novices to the motor home thing so a big thanks in advance. The idea was to try it before we buy one and do this thing a whole lot more often.

Cheers,

Jonathan & Sara & Katie (15)

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Hello and welcome. You will get loads of advice and information on the forum. My first piece of advice ( after of course subscribing ) is to not be over ambitious on your plans, go with the weather, avoid spending lots of time driving so you can enjoy your rental van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
HI...
You should already know how busy it will be in August so unless you have booked then have a plan B just in case you get somewhere and it's booked up.. Campsites in main season can be fussy if you only want to stay 1 or 2 nights and turn you down. The Aires can get very busy, especially any that are near the coast and it's often recommended to arrive early like midday...
Safe trip.

OP
OP
J

JKSara

Free Member
May 17, 2016
Funster No
MH
Hiring one this Summer
Exp
First time
Thanks for the welcome, and the advice, and you're right Tonka, I do know how it is in the south in peak season (don't ever drive to St Tropez:)).

The plan possibly I think is to book a site down south for a week and take 3 days to get there and 3 days to get back, is that a sensible/viable option. Once actually down there the plan is to drive the MH very little and cycle around and maybe hire a Moke for a few days if we want to travel further afield, I know there is Moke rental in both Agay and Port Grimaud as we've done that before, not sure if that's any option further west or not, I'll look into it...

Anyhow, thanks again so far and all ideas very much welcomed.

JK

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
You paid for 14 days.. why sit on a site for 7 of them.. ?

I'd head along the coast to Brittany , plenty of aires along that way.. while they may be busy you can usually find space if you get there before 4 pm

It's a touring vehicle .. make the most of it..

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
probably on the Med, Frejus, Argeles,
Jonathan & Sara & Katie (15)

Nice places but quite a long way in a lumbering MH unless you want to burn heaps of fuel and pay lots of tolls.

Make sure you are well insured if you aren't used to a MH.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Hiya, Welcome to Fun. If you are hiring local to Kendal don't forget that its the best part of a days drive down to Dover and the same back. Perhaps consider a weekend hiring the same van before you go?
We are near Penrith if you wanted to pop up for a brew and a chat about Motorhoming in France.

OP
OP
J

JKSara

Free Member
May 17, 2016
Funster No
MH
Hiring one this Summer
Exp
First time
Thank you, very kind :)

We are collecting the home en-route to Dover from Just Go just off the M1 near Luton. Pick up is from 2 so we are going to saunter down to Dover and stop overnight before getting a 7.30 am ferry.

We normally go Hull- Zebrugge as it cuts out so much driving in the UK, but then usually its just us in a car heading for a static, this years a bit different. We are all proper excited.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
In that case stay on the aire in Canterbury (at the Park & Ride on Dover Road so come out of there, hang a right and be at Eastern Docks in less than 20 minutes next morning)

Investigate the 'services' there - cassette toilet emptying etc cos you'll need to know how to on campsites or aires for the next fortnight. There's a 'food' pub on site or of course the R part (free) of the P&R into the centre of Canterbury but that finishes in early evening however I understand it's about a 20 min walk, which shouldn't be too bad unless it's heaving down LOL

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Hi & welcome to Motorhome'fun', the friendliest & most informative forum
Sedges idea is a good one, will get you used to water/waste etc

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
You'll be on a high when you get the keys but try to listen to the agent giving you the lowdown on the van. Try and note anything you can. You might want to consider recording the handover on your phone.
Above all save MHFun in your favourites and remember no Question is stupid if you don't know the answer. If you are on an Aire or site and have a problem get a bottle of wine and knock on the door of any Brit Regd van!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back