May 15, 2015
Herts
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello,

We are dipping our toes into motorhomes by hiring a motorhome for the week this summer, with a view to buying one.

Last year we hired a touring caravan, but hated the feeling of towing it and the lack of manoeuvrability. Getting hit by the tail end of hurricane Bertha in August didn't really help the experience either....so we won't be buying a caravan. Enjoyed it once we were there and pitched-up, just didn't like towing it.

We will be travelling with our two children and a small dog, so should be fun!

One of my main concerns is not being able to park it anywhere, due to those height restriction barriers on car parks, so I have been checking out park and rides schemes.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
One of my main concerns is not being able to park it anywhere, due to those height restriction barriers on car parks, so I have been checking out park and rides schemes.

have a look on this site.. it is owned and operated by Graham, one of our members who has put a lot of time and effort to provide the information..
http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/

Don't know if you can take your hire vehicle abroad.. but if you can, you won't have any problems finding parking and cheap overnight stops.. called aires, many free or very cheap.. France is motorhome heaven compared to the UK

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

MinnietheMoocher

Free Member
May 15, 2015
Herts
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm having a good old nosey around the forum, picking up lots of top tips! Last year in the caravan was the first time that I had to deal with EHU points and a Thetford cassette, so I'm still a real newbie!

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi and welcome.
A lot depends on he size of van you are going to hire. Anything under 7mtrs shouldn't be a problem.
Good luck with it. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

MinnietheMoocher

Free Member
May 15, 2015
Herts
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
The one we are hiring is listed as being 6910mm long, so just shy of 7m in length.;)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If you have to stay in the UK then think about coming "up north".

York has motorhome parking at at least one of the P&R places (lots to do for children) and there is an official aire in Hawick (Scottish Borders - not so much for children to do) and there are other unofficial aires around.

I'm not sure how old your children are and what they would like to do on holiday but I am sure you will have a great time. The parking can require pre-thought but don't let that put you off. If you need to park out of town and get a bus in then make that part of the holiday :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back