Hire One

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by MinnietheMoocher, May 15, 2015.

1. MinnietheMoocher

MinnietheMoocher Read Only Funster

Hello,

We are dipping our toes into motorhomes by hiring a motorhome for the week this summer, with a view to buying one.

Last year we hired a touring caravan, but hated the feeling of towing it and the lack of manoeuvrability. Getting hit by the tail end of hurricane Bertha in August didn't really help the experience either....so we won't be buying a caravan. Enjoyed it once we were there and pitched-up, just didn't like towing it.

We will be travelling with our two children and a small dog, so should be fun!

One of my main concerns is not being able to park it anywhere, due to those height restriction barriers on car parks, so I have been checking out park and rides schemes.

2. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

You'll be surprised where you can get too!
    Have a look at camper contact and searchforsites

• Like Like x 1
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

have a look on this site.. it is owned and operated by Graham, one of our members who has put a lot of time and effort to provide the information..
    http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/

Don't know if you can take your hire vehicle abroad.. but if you can, you won't have any problems finding parking and cheap overnight stops.. called aires, many free or very cheap.. France is motorhome heaven compared to the UK

• Like Like x 1
  4. Momo

Momo Funster

Hi Minnie and welcome to the Fun!:welc::party:

• Like Like x 1
  5. MinnietheMoocher

Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm having a good old nosey around the forum, picking up lots of top tips! Last year in the caravan was the first time that I had to deal with EHU points and a Thetford cassette, so I'm still a real newbie!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Baycott

Baycott Funster

Hi and welcome.
    A lot depends on he size of van you are going to hire. Anything under 7mtrs shouldn't be a problem.
    Good luck with it. (y)

7. MinnietheMoocher

The one we are hiring is listed as being 6910mm long, so just shy of 7m in length.;)

8. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

If you have to stay in the UK then think about coming "up north".

York has motorhome parking at at least one of the P&R places (lots to do for children) and there is an official aire in Hawick (Scottish Borders - not so much for children to do) and there are other unofficial aires around.

I'm not sure how old your children are and what they would like to do on holiday but I am sure you will have a great time. The parking can require pre-thought but don't let that put you off. If you need to park out of town and get a bus in then make that part of the holiday :)

• Like Like x 1