Hire here or in France? (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi, A friend of mine wants to go cycling in the south of France. There will be 4 of them and they are looking at hiring a motorhome to do it. As we are up in the north of Scotland I have advised that I reckon the best way to do it is drive down to near Dover and hire from that area. Does that sound about right or would they be better to hire in France? TIA

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
I doubt whether many here are qualified to answer this question beyond offering an opinion. FWIW I would advise your friend to start googling - he and his friends are the only ones who might know what they want.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Hiring in France gives the benefit of LHD (as mentioned above) and may slightly reduce the cost of crossing the Channel if they and the bikes are in/on one vehicle.
Hiring from Scotland would have the benefit of seeing the vehicle prior to departure in case there are any issues and of discussing these in a common language, getting used to driving an unfamiliar vehicle on the familiar side of the road first, plus being able to load and provision before leaving if they wish (though my preference is always to do most provisioning on arrival in France).
Hiring near Dover may reduce fuel costs for the trip from Scotland but could result in any issues that may arise on collection creating undue pressure.

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
My daughter's partner and four of his friends took their cycles to Morzine, France this summer in a motorhome they hired from an outfit in Leyland, Lanc's.
They had a very successful and enjoyable week. I would need to talk to him for more detail so please let me know if that sounds interesting.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Are they fussy people or just youngsters out for fun, if the latter, they could probably club together and buy an older van for not much more than hiring one, then sell it when they come back for maybe the same amount.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If you hire in Scotland you will probably have used your 'free' mileage in the UK and be on 20p a mile or something stupid like that.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
While on a site in Chamonix we were approached by four young men who had seen our GB plate.

They had hired a very nice m/h in Calais and were en route to Italy. They had had a handover with an English speaking employee but couldn't remember most of what they had been told. The instructions in the m/h were, naturally, in French.

Using their instruction manual we worked out what they needed to know and scribbled it down in English.

They were so pleased that we had got their fridge working, in particular, that they gave us a pack of beer and a couple of bottles of wine.

If you hire in France make sure that you have translated Manuals, unless you can speak and/or read French.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back