Hight Limit on Ferries - how accurate? (1 Viewer)

andyinluton

Free Member
Jun 12, 2009
Funster No
We are thinking of taking our Autoroller 700 over to Dublin at half term, all the ferry companies appear to have a height limit of 3m our handbook states 3.02m
Will it fit ? As its the Luton at the front thats the highest bit we could put some weight in the front to drag the hight down or even let some air out the tyres just for the crossing.

Anyone with a 700 been over to ireland recently?

Cheers
Andy

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Andy
We went to DUblin on Irish Ferries from Holyhead and our van is over 3 metres and it was no problem. Not sure on the speed ferries though. Probably best to give them a ring to double check.

Sonja

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Your 50mm 2" oversize, now I woudnt think that would make a difference, the ferry company have an interest in you not crashing in to the deck above and will design the deck heights with a good tolerance.

HOWEVER, ME BEING THE PERSON I AM I WOULD TELL THEM

Jim

:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just possible that if you're over 3 mtrs you go in the HGV section rather than the regular vehicle section.

they'll still take you but need to know the hieght for that reason.

OP
OP
A

andyinluton

Free Member
Jun 12, 2009
Funster No
Trouble is if they regard me as over 3m I will be charged as freight which is an extra £550 return !!!

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Let some air out of your tyres and blow them back up at other end? :Smile:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I worked for a ferry company. We had limits for good reason, the ship is a lot more resilient than your van. Declare the correct hieght then if there is a mishap the insurance will cover you. If you falsely declare any details and something happens you have no come back, the loss adjuster will see to that.

Bill

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
norfolk lines irish sea ferries from liverpool have no height restrictions at all on any vehicle:thumb:

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Andy
We went to DUblin on Irish Ferries from Holyhead and our van is over 3 metres and it was no problem. Not sure on the speed ferries though. Probably best to give them a ring to double check.

Both Stena Line ferries are max ht 5.2 mts , just declare your height at check-in and you will be fine .

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
We are thinking of taking our Autoroller 700 over to Dublin at half term, all the ferry companies appear to have a height limit of 3m our handbook states 3.02m
Will it fit ? As its the Luton at the front thats the highest bit we could put some weight in the front to drag the hight down or even let some air out the tyres just for the crossing.

Anyone with a 700 been over to ireland recently?

Cheers
Andy

Andy

You do not state from where you are leaving so quoting the height from handbook. if you have an aerial or sat dish then the height is more

If Liverpool then the height is crucial, you may also be on fast ferry(was called sea cat I think)

If from others not so crucial as Liverpool you have Birkenhead, Holyhead or further afield. Search google for ferries to Ireland.

Irish ferries
Stenna line
P&O

As said for .02 then it is trivial, but I bet you have got an aerial or dish

Safe travels

Have you looked at Dover Calais....a lot cheaper :thumb:

Safe travels

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Height

Hi

My R-V is 3.4M (height) I just put it in to the booking system on line and have had no problems using ferries from Dover-Calais and Portsmouth Bilbao

Most ferries are capable of taking HGV trailers up to 15+feet high.

I do not know about the "fast" ferries though.

We had plenty of headroom on the Tor vessels in the 1970` and 80`s on the north sea trades except when we where rigged to carry the imported cars using underslung decks.

coming back from Bilbao last April we had cars AND trucks on the same deck as ourselves.

pete

Last edited:

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
The Sea Cats from Holyhead take artic trucks as well so you should not have a problem with either boat or Sea Cat just as others have said advise your height.

Regards

Lampie

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Have just checked and the fast ferry that used to sail from the pier head next to the liver birds has ceased trading. You were limited in height on that one.

daps

Free Member
May 24, 2009
Cambridgeshire. UK
Funster No
Exp
A few Months
We have the same dilemma going to IOW. 2.7 height limit on Red Funnel. M/H is 2.77
Although only 8 quid extra for over.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
we had to cut the status aeriel of a motorhome once on hoverspeed dover - calais. our van was smashed into shortly before holiday so insurance hired us a Benimar camper for a month to go to Spain. I asked the height and was told 3 m hoverspeed limit was 3 m so all seemed well........when we got there the overheight alarm sounded and they would not let us on!

frantic call to hirer he agreed to aeriel being removed, hoverspeed found a ladder and job done oft we went!

with ships I think it is OK but with fast ferrys etc......risky I think not to fess up

Last edited:

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
Once had a tight squeeze getting on and off the sea cat fast ferry, Dover/ Calais with a coach built m/home 3mtrs tall.I, damaged the waist gate valve on the toilet emptying pipe getting of at Dover,( it was`t a pretty sight or smell.) I would chq if you are sailing is on a sea cat i would think twice before attempting to board,because 3 mtrs is tight. Needless to say i havn`t used the sea-cat services again although i don`t think that it operates on the cross channel routes anymore.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back