hieght barriers now at cromer

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Adria 5, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Adria 5

Adria 5 Read Only Funster

hi I used to love to park on the cliff tops at the cromer cardigan car park
    but now the council has seen fit to penalise motorhomers by putting a height barrier up :Doh: although at busy periods when a volantary warden is on duty he lets you in ! talking to a warden he said it was due to a few unwanted guests trying it on :Sad:such a shame there not a real arternative to this car park on the cardigan road the coach park near morrisons nor really big enough for touring motorhomes i intend to contact the council for a response :RollEyes:

ray

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  2. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I walked past this car park today and there were quite a few mh's in it. Perhaps they had been let in by the warden though.

3. Wilbury

Wilbury Deleted User

Hi saruman,
    What happens if the warden goes home, with motorhomes inside, and presumably
    locks the barrier down?
    Wilbury

4. Adria 5

hi he lets them throw another entrance he does not remove the height barriers :Wink: also he talks to the motorhome owners to let them know!! when he lets them in! its a pity they are there!!!! surly it would be better to have barriers that come down at dusk and lift at dawn which are clearly signed with warnings thats!!!if they have a problem!:Smile: with you know who:Wink:

ray

5. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

There's too many of these barriers going up at all the scenic places.:Angry:

I am interested in their response Ray.I guess it's to stop people overnighting ....or more!!.Crazy country we live in.:Doh:

6. colliezack

colliezack Funster

Last summer when we were in Cromer there there were many of the "you know who" parked with the usual mess. I am not surprissed that there are now height barriers. This is happening all over the country as a result.-- Even Ferry Meadows in Peterborough now has them.- So no access for us, apart from the CC Site.
    It's a great shame for the responsible peoples who loose out.

7. Adria 5

:Angry:

hi totally agree !! this was my point to the council they are making policy because a few lawless when the carpark is used daily by motorhomers majority:Sad: its the minority making policy again over the law abiding motorhomers clearly no one on the council has a motorhome or doesnt know what touring really is:Sad:
    i await there reply :RollEyes:

RAY

8. Adria 5

hi UPDATE! just got a written reply from cromer council saying the item was discussed at a recent meeting the height barriers will be removed :Smile: once when gypsy/ travellers site is in place c/o town clark

RAY

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Well done Ray. Just shows what taking a positive approach can result in.

Graham

10. colliezack

colliezack Funster

Yes, well done Ray. Did they give any indication as to when travellers site would be up and running? How many months; or is it Years?
    Am in Cromer for a few days 1st sept onwards. (to see the brilliant End of Pier show) Will try and chat to an attendant and perhaps get the true picture and post result.

11. Adria 5

no details i am afraid but i looks like theres a motorhomer on the council:BigGrin:
    where you staying in cromer recomend seacroft cc site:thumb:

ray

12. colliezack

colliezack Funster

Yes Seacroft cc Stayed there last year. Walking distance of Pier Understand site has been improved?

13. colliezack

colliezack Funster

Cromer height barriers.-- Access.

Have just been at Seacroft cc site Cromer (which will now convert a further 40 pitches to Level and hard standing.) It needs to.
    Chatted to the Attendant at the Cliff top carpark. He is willing to unlock the entrance for motorcaravans for day use. His name is John Bumphy and he lives in the house opposite --no 59. He wears a reflective jacket and name badge and is authorised by the Council; but is unpaid.! There's public duty for you.!!
    So if you go there have a chat with him. Tell him what a good bloke he is.
    If he's not at the entrance area; go and bang on his front door and he will pop over the road to let you in and out.
    Happy hunting.

14. The Kar-Mann

The Kar-Mann Read Only Funster

I am a blue badge holder (genuine ) and my motorhome is my transport I wonder if they are breaching the disabilities rights act regarding access to public places?
    Any solicitors out there.
    Andy

15. sandyketton

sandyketton Read Only Funster

Thats an interesting point you make Andy. Please keep us informed on any info you get.
    Thanks
    Sandy

16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I'm not a solicitor but undertook an in-depth analysis of the Disability Discrimination Act (and other equality acts) a few years ago whilst still working.

Assuming your motorhome is your only transport by choice, rather than being dictated by your disability, I should think you would find it very difficult to prove that any height restriction at any car park would breach the DDA.

Graham

17. Supertractorman

Supertractorman Read Only Funster

18. Adria 5

19. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

This type of panic action was bound to happen now that so many people are parking, often indiscriminately, over night.

People often refer to wild camping but parking overnight in what is a seaside residential area is hardly wild camping. In general we only have ourselves to blame.

Though I deplore this type of action I can understand the desire to keep beautiful seaside/ residential areas free from the "camp-anywhere -I -like brigade".

Why do some motorhomers in particular believe that they have the right to doss anywhere they like whatever the consequences to other people?

Wild camping in areas that will not affect others is understandable and should be defended but camping in what are effectively built-up areas should be a definite no-no.

In France it is often far worse. There is a beautiful area in the Auvergne around Lac Chambon. One night last year, so the authorities have reported, there were over 150 motorhomes, mostly French, parking wild close to the lake. The area is losing its feeling of beauty and tranquility.

20. Supertractorman

Supertractorman Read Only Funster