Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Yes. Good advice. sadly, I don't have a 'missus' or a mister but I do have 60 year's experience of losing things. :)

I didn't twig that you were a solo traveller till after I posted sorry .
How about keep 2 keys on you one in bag one in pocket or elsewhere , maybe good odds you only lose one ?
Or as said hide one outside mh or in ? Who can come up with the best or craziest places to hide one ?

How about if parked on soft ground you bury one 3 inches down then park so tyre is on it ! Only you know so could dig under tyre a narrow slot to get at it ? :blush:

Inside you know those air vent pipes that are everywhere for blowing heat ? Stick one in there and shut the flap ? :wub:

Just outside big roof light window white duct tape one on roof ? :whistle:

Behind control consoles :X3:

In fish fingers box in freezer :confused:

In smoke alarm :crying:

Sewn in back of curtains :beerchug:

Or best of all in my secret place :censored:

Spade

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
dethleffs
Exp
Still a newbie
I have fiamma security locks on the habitation doors so l would need two keys hidden outside.What I did was get a non transponder ignition key cut,I then broke off the plastic fob and put a keyring on the blade and hid that outside the van with a full set hidden inside.
The idea being that even if they find it,they can only open the drivers door but can't start the van as there is no transponder code sent to the ignition.
The key blade is tiny compared to the standard key so lots more locations to hide it

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
You could get a dog put your spare key in some dog food let the dog eat it and then you have a spare key hidey place.

You wont lose the dog as they will always find you :)

Hope that helps

Ohh just thought always make sure you take the dog with you (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I may or may not conceal a habitation door key on my van, where it cant be seen without knowledge of its whereabouts. nobody working on the van could spot it easily either. knowing where it is, i could retrieve it and be inside within a minute without damage

OP
OP
J

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Ha ha. Loving these replies.

To be serious for a moment. I keep all my keys in a key cabinet by the door. If I hide a door key to make sure I can get back in, should I also hide the spare ignition key somewhere in the van? If someone did get in all they would have to do is take the ignition key from the cabinet and drive off.

Although, why anyone would want my old van when there are so many brand spanking new ones to choose from?

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Ha ha. Loving these replies.

Although, why anyone would want my old van when there are so many brand spanking new ones to choose from?

Simple really - older vans are generally easier to steal and second hand parts from them are in more demand .

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

As someone who has trouble remembering passwords and pin numbers I doubt I could remember where I'd put a 'hidden' key myself................

:doh:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
all is well i have found the keys but only after breaking a few locks lol
my next problem is getting rid of the beni cough lol

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

One way to hide a key:

Separate the blade from the key fob (spare key obviously)

Leave the fob in the van (hidden if you like)

Silicone the blade to somewhere outside the van and cover the blade with more coloured silicone to match the area (white?)............ just looks like a 'blob' of silicone

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Consider a second vehicle entry key on the outside of the vehicle. (I won't say where for obvious reasons but there are plenty of good hiding places. And, consider hiding a second ignition key inside the vehicle.(Ditto for above).
Don't worry to much about insurance company policies as gaining access to a secure motorhome without forcing an entry is fairly straight forward and insurance companies should know this. (Just never tell them you have a second set kept with the vehicle).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back