Hiding a Second Key

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by JackieP, Aug 9, 2015.

1. JackieP

JackieP Funster

Following on from the 'lost key' thread.

Losing the van keys is something that concerns me. Bill was in charge of the keys and Bill is one of those people who never lose anything ever. I am the exact opposite.

So, is it feasible to 'hide' the second door key somewhere and would it make sense to hide the second vehicle key too?

The thought of having to break in and the ensuing problems of getting it all fixed up again is worse than the thought of hiding a key.

So, is there a way of hiding a key that only I would know about and is it the right thing to do?

2. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

There have been threads on this before. I think one of the issues identified was that if you do and your insurance company find out then you would have a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Borderland

Borderland Funster

I think you may need to check with your insurance company as most policies will only pay out if there has been a forcible entry or the keys have been stolen. I have heard stories of owner hiding key in a lock box attached to van and insurance company refusing to pay out.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JackieP

JackieP Funster

Ah. I did not think of the insurance implications.

5. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

Lanyard? Traveller security belt thing? Most vans are not exactly fortress like, guess you could hide a secondary set of keys internally and force entry via window or similar if you had to due losing primary set (I guess insurance implications still apply). I suspect you will be ok and not lose your keys though!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Most modern keys are either electronic or a combination of key and electronic. All of the information required to supply new keys would be held on computer by the vehicle manufacturer - certainly for the vehicle part of the motorhome - often when you pick up the vehicle new there is a bar code label attached. If coach build then the lock system would most probably be standard units which would not necessarily recorded but most probably will have a number stamped on it.

If you keep a record of these then copies can be made.

Biggest problem with 'hiding' a key there is only so many place you can hide a key and you bet the thieves know more possibilities than you do !!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

You used to be able to to get single a key box from most car factor's such as halfords .that would magnetize or screw to a chassis and only you would know its location having put it there.
    Insurance ....
    Would you wish to damage your van to gain access ?:)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stonemags76

Stonemags76 Funster

How about keeping a spare key with a friend who could post it out to you in an emergency? Would involve a stay in a hotel or campsite cabin, but shouldn't think it would happen often (if at all)?

• Like Like x 3
  9. Manic

Manic Funster

I would hide hab keys outside and then have the spare engine key in the safe.

• Like Like x 7
  10. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  11. JJ

JJ Funster

I have always had a key hidden where I can get to it.

I never ever, ever, ever would worry about "insurance aspects" because...

1. A nasty person wouldn't find it...

2. And even if he did, and got into my van the con men at the insurance company would never know about the key.

3. And even if they did know about the key, it would not make any difference because the con men at the insurance company would not pay out anyway.

They would find a carefully constructed loophole of their own making to advoid it.

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 7
  12. big map

big map Funster Life Member

image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Back in Sarfend for a while, then back to RSA.
    Most of my travelling is in remote rural France so I always have a spare key (wrapped in a €50 note) secreted upon my van. Sure it would take a while, and a few tools to get to it, but in an emergency well worth the effort.
    I certainly would have no qualms in lying to an insurance company - they "lie" enough to their customers by burying sneaky small print in their policies.

• Like Like x 7
  14. DonA4000

DonA4000 Funster

I asked my insurance company safeguard and they said any key safe would have to be attached to the vehicle, I don't think a magnet one would cut it! But maybe one of those padlock ones if it could be attached to the chassis or one that could be bolted. I would think its a very gray area and no doubt the insurance will use that to their benefit! I do think leaving a spare set with a friend is also a good idea, we once forgot our driving license on a 3 week holiday in Florida, car was booked for the 3 weeks to tour, a family member that had keys to get in sent our license 3 day post! Another consideration is a key fob! With your mobile number you can get a motorhomefun one from Jim's shop!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Encantador

Encantador Funster

No thief is going to spend the time searching the outside of a MH just on the off chance that there might be a key there somewhere.

As had been said, they are not the hardest things to get into.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

And you keep the tools locked in van ? How do you get at them to get the spare key ?:)

17. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Back in Sarfend for a while, then back to RSA.
    I may look pretty decrepit and past it but I ain't that stupid! :)

It would take a pozi screwdriver, a pair of pliers and a piece of wire - and I'd rather have to go hunting for them at local farmsteads than to have to organise a replacement key. I suppose I could go one step further and find a hidey hole for the screwdriver, pliers and wire :)

• Like Like x 4
  18. sylvester1954

sylvester1954 Funster

....simple hiding place for my spare key...in the pocket of whichever trousers or shorts that l am wearing...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tincataylor

Tincataylor Funster

Our thoughts on this are that we do not worry about a thief finding spare keys and then entering the van, a thief is just going to jemmy a door or window rather than spend time skulking about the outside of the van looking for a spare set. We keep "hidden" spare keys from the point of view that one of us (me) loses the primary set while we are out for the day. Our strategy is to have a spare set of keys very well hidden inside an exterior locker which requires single small key entry and said locker key is always in the possession of SWMBO. As for insurance companies if we worried too much about their self serving rules then we would be too frightened to leave the house in the first place,

The Tinca's

• Like Like x 1
  20. JackieP

JackieP Funster

Thank you so much for all you welcome replies. Every one of them has given me food for thought.

I should tell you at this point that the person I bought the van from used to leave the door unlocked. He worked on the premise that there was little to steal and it was better than having the door or windows broken.

It wouldn't be my first line of defence i have to say but there you go.

Thanks again. You're ace.