Hidden damage to EHU lead (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
In the past our EHU lead has been stretched across the parking area in Aires and I've had to replace a couple of times due to the damage caused by being run over.. so I am aware of the potential problem.

Yesterday the RCD on our site supply tripped and it wouldn't reset.. I unplugged everything and switched off the main switch in the RV but it kept tripping.

I then visually checked the EHU cable, (which was replaced a few months ago ) but could see no sign of damage.. but I had run over with the toad .. even though it's lying on grass and its' only a small car, I suspected it was damaged..

Replacing the cable solved the problem .. so be aware, if you suffer from nuisance trips it may well be your cable even though it shows no sign of damage.. and avoid running over it with the toad.. ! :Doh:

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
In the past our EHU lead has been stretched across the parking area in Aires and I've had to replace a couple of times due to the damage caused by being run over.. so I am aware of the potential problem.

Yesterday the RCD on our site supply tripped and it wouldn't reset.. I unplugged everything and switched off the main switch in the RV but it kept tripping.

I then visually checked the EHU cable, (which was replaced a few months ago ) but could see no sign of damage.. but I had run over with the toad .. even though it's lying on grass and its' only a small car, I suspected it was damaged..

Replacing the cable solved the problem .. so be aware, if you suffer from nuisance trips it may well be your cable even though it shows no sign of damage.. and avoid running over it with the toad.. ! :Doh:

Hi Jim
Sorry to be thick but what is a toad?

Tim

ocsid

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Funster No
I have had a similar problem of a cable tripping the bollard RCD;
In my case it was simply due to a trace of dampness in one of the cable's Commando plug/sockets. Cured by wiping out with a tissue.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have had a similar problem of a cable tripping the bollard RCD;
In my case it was simply due to a trace of dampness in one of the cable's Commando plug/sockets. Cured by wiping out with a tissue.

Indeed, that is another common source of nuisance trips.. the first thing I always check.

A good spray of WD40 helps to keep dampness at bay.. also prevents the terminals from rusting.. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
When we were fitting EHU's to residential boats moored adjacent the site hookups were fed through Link Removed which was buried beneath roadways.

maybe an idea, you could use this pipe even if not buried ,would prtect the cable.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
you've got the payload Jim.......replace it with 2.5mm steel wire armoured cable.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Can you easily bend this type of wire into a tight coil as other types of cable and would I be able to lift a 25 m cable?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
you've got the payload Jim.......replace it with 2.5mm steel wire armoured cable.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Can you easily bend this type of wire into a tight coil as other types of cable and would I be able to lift a 25 m cable?

I think SWA is a bit OTT John :roflmto::roflmto:

However.. although not as rugged as SWA , SY Flex has good protection and is widely used in industry where good flexibility and mechanical protection is needed.. a 25mt coil would be manageable but not really needed on UK sites..

MF2.5SLASH3.JPG

2.5mm 3 Core SY Protected Cable Flex

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I have a lead made up of armoured cable and the coil is only slightly larger than a regular lead. It has been very useful on foreign sites where I have had to run it across a pathway. Even used it in this country,on one occasion I was offered a hook up which meant crossing a farm drive,others refused,I threw out the armoured lead,much to the envy of others,and was on stream. During the stay some heavy stuff crossed over it,the farmer's wife drove over it in her Disco and felt the bump and came over to me to apologise that she may have damaged my cable; I asked her if the Disco was O.K.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back