Hidden damage to EHU lead

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by scotjimland, Apr 19, 2009.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

In the past our EHU lead has been stretched across the parking area in Aires and I've had to replace a couple of times due to the damage caused by being run over.. so I am aware of the potential problem.

Yesterday the RCD on our site supply tripped and it wouldn't reset.. I unplugged everything and switched off the main switch in the RV but it kept tripping.

I then visually checked the EHU cable, (which was replaced a few months ago ) but could see no sign of damage.. but I had run over with the toad .. even though it's lying on grass and its' only a small car, I suspected it was damaged..

Replacing the cable solved the problem .. so be aware, if you suffer from nuisance trips it may well be your cable even though it shows no sign of damage.. and avoid running over it with the toad.. ! :Doh:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Hi Jim
    Sorry to be thick but what is a toad?

Tim

3. scotjimland

Hi Tim

A car towed behind a motorhome, all wheels on the road .. hence toad

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

you've got the payload Jim.......replace it with 2.5mm steel wire armoured cable.....:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

5. ocsid

ocsid Read Only Funster

I have had a similar problem of a cable tripping the bollard RCD;
    In my case it was simply due to a trace of dampness in one of the cable's Commando plug/sockets. Cured by wiping out with a tissue.

6. scotjimland

Indeed, that is another common source of nuisance trips.. the first thing I always check.

A good spray of WD40 helps to keep dampness at bay.. also prevents the terminals from rusting.. :thumb:

7. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Ah ha thanks for that Jim.:BigGrin:
    Tim

8. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

When we were fitting EHU's to residential boats moored adjacent the site hookups were fed through this pipe which was buried beneath roadways.

maybe an idea, you could use this pipe even if not buried ,would prtect the cable.

9. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

Can you easily bend this type of wire into a tight coil as other types of cable and would I be able to lift a 25 m cable?

10. scotjimland

I think SWA is a bit OTT John :Laughing::Laughing:

However.. although not as rugged as SWA , SY Flex has good protection and is widely used in industry where good flexibility and mechanical protection is needed.. a 25mt coil would be manageable but not really needed on UK sites..

[​IMG]

2.5mm 3 Core SY Protected Cable Flex

11. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

I have a lead made up of armoured cable and the coil is only slightly larger than a regular lead. It has been very useful on foreign sites where I have had to run it across a pathway. Even used it in this country,on one occasion I was offered a hook up which meant crossing a farm drive,others refused,I threw out the armoured lead,much to the envy of others,and was on stream. During the stay some heavy stuff crossed over it,the farmer's wife drove over it in her Disco and felt the bump and came over to me to apologise that she may have damaged my cable; I asked her if the Disco was O.K.:Rofl1:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009