Hi.... (1 Viewer)

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
....my name's Neil....and I'm a newbie MH owner :whatthe:!

Or at least, I will be once my Danbury Dynamic finally arrives (thanks for nothing Fiat :Angry:).

Having spent the last 15-years in front of computers or commuting, and having got fed up of my occasional business trips leaving me either a) knackered, or b) stuck in crappy hotels, I found myself staring at MHs while parked up at service stations and thinking "you know, you could work in one of those and take your time getting there and back..."

...shortly followed by...

"You could also use it for...you know...non-work....and get a life too!" ::bigsmile:

So, starting small (and you can't get much smaller than a Dynamic)...here I am, many months later. This is all new to me, so apologies in advance for any stupid questions and thanks in advance for all your help.

lazydays

Free Member
May 9, 2009
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
March 2009
Hello and Welcome, good people here.

I started last year, I do a lot of traveling in job and every time I see an MH on the motorway I think yep, there goes good people who are enjoing themselves. Can't wait to be out again mine.

It has to be done bach to believe it:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Having spent the last 15-years in front of computers or commuting, and having got fed up of my occasional business trips leaving me either a) knackered, or b) stuck in crappy hotels, I found myself staring at MHs.

BTDTGTTS.

Yes it does work but I got stung on insurance.

Then there is the problem of an easily identifiable business expense - a hotel - and the more difficult problem of how to charge a MH. So if putting loads of miles on an expensive vehicle that is also the family fun palace it starts to cloud the issue.

Last summer in the highlands I had a great time. The difficulties of finding an over priced hotel vanished and instead I got some great places to stay.

So see how it works out for you. Even if the business idea has problems you've still got a whole lot of FUN in there.

The view from my office:

Attachments

• office.jpg
    office.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 24

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Hi and :welcome:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Welcome to the Fun Forum ::bigsmile:
flyingwelcome

OP
OP
1_man_and_his_dob(lo)
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Yes it does work but I got stung on insurance.

Tell me about it :Sad:

So see how it works out for you. Even if the business idea has problems you've still got a whole lot of FUN in there.

The view from my office:
That was the sort of view I had in my mind when thinking of all the positives that could come out of this jump into the unknown...thanks :Smile:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hi Niel,
you've come to the right place, any questions ask away and someone will always be along to help with the answers.
We get off most weekends as we are ralliers in a club. When were not out with them , we make use of the many CL sites up North.
We are new to motorhoming too. Dec 09. We've had caravans before , we too were fed up of staying in grotty B.B 's and hotels on weekends away.
Then as the years went on , 3 kids and 2 dog's came along. Then the family rooms left even more to be desired :whatthe:

We've only ever done 2 x 1 week breaks in a caravan or MH before , preferring the usual Grecian package holiday abroad. But we were getting a bit bored and we ended up hiring cars to see more of the place.
After a holiday / reccie in Australia in 2008 where we hired a motorhome, we decided that is the way we wanted to go so started saving up.
We are being brave this year and going the isle of white for a week in May. :ROFLMAO:
Dont laugh you seasoned travellers, we all have to start somewhere!!
Then were off to France for 3 weeks in the six week holls.
I'm sure we'll love it ( she says convincing her self :winky:)
As long as I'm not doing all the cooking ,cleaning and washing up , or it will be back to just doing weekends again::bigsmile:
Best decision we ever made getting a MH I'm sure you wont regret it too.
Bev

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As long as I'm not doing all the cooking ,cleaning and washing up
Bev

I think this is a woman thing. You don't understand how we men think of you. So there you are in this strange environment and we just want you to feel at home so we leave you to enjoy yourselves and feel needed. It's just showing our consideration.

The only trouble with 3 weeks in France. It's not long enough.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
BTDTGTTS.
Then there is the problem of an easily identifiable business expense - a hotel - and the more difficult problem of how to charge a MH. So if putting loads of miles on an expensive vehicle that is also the family fun palace it starts to cloud the issue.
:
There are ways round it though.
If your a LTD company you can hire the MH or Caravan to yourself. Then if the company you are doing work for are paying you x amount board n lodgings as well its win win. Our accountant advised us of this . Saying it was better doing it that way than buying a MH or caravan through the buisness. For tax reasons.
Ralphs away in our MH at the moment. Little CL site. We join him on a weekend and get out and about. He only does 2 to 3 week stints away , maybe 2 or 3 times a year. Its usually around the Morpeth Alnwick area, so its lovely.
Hes just over the Humber Bridge at the moment , not as far:Smile: ,
but not as nice:winky:
Yes i realise 3 weeks in France isnt long , but were going going on the ferry to ST Malo and Brittany and staying around there , for our 1st attempt. I only passed C.S.E. French many moons ago
And its long enough with 3 kids 2 adults and 2 dogs in a box!!:ROFLMAO:
Bev

Last edited:
OP
OP
1_man_and_his_dob(lo)
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for the welcome everyone. :thumb:

(I guess it's proper etiquette to use the "Thanks" button but rather than send a load of those to this thread, it would be easier for me in this situation to thank you all at once now.)

Next I need to gather up all my scribbled-down notes and decide where to start in the beginners forum...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi neil and welcome.....

glad you said your real name as your screen name would be a pain in the ass to type in replies.
we'd have to shorten it to 1 MAD...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

alivan

Free Member
Jan 29, 2010
UK and Europe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
welcome

Hello from Bulgaria.

Ivan :welcomefunster:

OP
OP
1_man_and_his_dob(lo)
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
glad you said your real name as your screen name would be a pain in the ass to type in replies.

That did cross my mind, so it seemed like the courteous thing to do.

we'd have to shorten it to 1 MAD...
Well...when the van finally arrives and I start trying to cram everything into it, I'll probably decide that's appropriate, so I grant everyone permission to call me that :roflmto:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Well...when the van finally arrives and I start trying to cram everything into it, I'll probably decide that's appropriate, so I grant everyone permission to call me that :roflmto:

Let's be blunt, you haven't done yourself any favours buying one that small. I hope you don't blame MHs in general if you find it cramped and not what you hoped for.

Had you spoken sooner we'd all have said buy something bigger, cheap but respectable and see if the idea fits.

IMHO buying new is a mug's game, you get to iron out all the bugs and take a big hit financially as soon as you tax it.

OP
OP
1_man_and_his_dob(lo)
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Let's be blunt, you haven't done yourself any favours buying one that small. I hope you don't blame MHs in general if you find it cramped and not what you hoped for.

Wouldn't dream of it. I took a look at various MHs last year, and as someone who's never been particularly comfortable driving big vehicles I found the little Dynamic ideal. Eventually it's going to be my only vehicle and the driveway's pretty small.

I know it's going to be a case of taking the essentials and not falling into my usual trap (as perfected on holidays and business trips) of trying to take too much on the day of departure.

IMHO buying new is a mug's game, you get to iron out all the bugs and take a big hit financially as soon as you tax it.
Thanks:cry:At least I get to spec. it out. And you get the opportunity to say "told you so..." when those bugs appear and it visibly depreciates :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back