HI

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by SmellyFeet, Aug 4, 2009.

1. SmellyFeet

SmellyFeet Read Only Funster

Hi Folks

About me, child of the 80s, the last generation to enjoy decent music. Live in the Norfolk broads with my wife and two sprogs. Self employed with two micro businesses, keep bees, ducks, chickens and a Dog, just adore sentences with masses of comas in them.

Completely new to this, am just preparing to jet off to somewhere foreign for a couple of weeks, and realised that I'm not really liking all the stress that goes with it. Thinks maybe a motorhome will make me a more mellow fellow. So should I do it? Does it make me even more midlle aged? Is it a huge financial mistake and will the kids hate me forever?

On to more practical stuff, what are these behemoths like to drive?, I scraped my lwb van almost immediately.... Are they as scary as they look? Will my wife ever drive it or is she just saying she will?

Should I buy new or "pre owned", what layout, I need to keep the kids in vaguely separate areas at night as one of them is a ........ teenage girl, aaaahhhh!!!!!

Will I ever get to the north coast of Africa or is it Margate and Skegness for the rest of our lives?

What must I avoid? and should I hire one first or just take the plunge?

Does this garage thing I keep reading about double up as a wine cellar?

P.s I don't have smelly feet and I don't snore either.

Dave

2. vindiboy

vindiboy Funster

Hi the worlds your oyster in a Camper van, I guess a good way for you to go is to hire one to start off with, that way you won't loose lots of money if you don't like the way of life. Another good way to go would be to attend one of the Motorhome shows [ one coming up at Malvern ] and go to the camping areas and speak with the Motorhomers there, most will be more than happy to show you their pride and joy and talk you through the pros and cons, [are there any cons ??] I wouldn't recommend talking to a van salesman as he /she want to make a sale and won't [probably ] tell you like it is.You don't need to buy a huge expensive rig to start off with, try an older smaller van ,doesn't matter much what it looks like as long as you ENJOY, best wishes and good luck .Malc.:thumb::thumb:

3. johng

johng Read Only Funster

:Rofl1:

welcome smellyfeet

leave the bees at home

4. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Hi SmellyFeet:Eek!: and :welcome:to MHFun.:thumb:

5. vindiboy

vindiboy Funster

Yes you will get to north Africa in a Campervan, we have just comeback from Morocco,we have also toured France, Spain, Germany , Holland ,Belguim and Greece in ours , others have been even further afield , We have a garage in our van and carry just about everything in it subject to weight, and my wifes must have at all times is the spin drier which we use a lot whilst wild camping.
    :thumb::thumb:

6. wildcamper

wildcamper Read Only Funster

Hi and welcme to motorhome fun :thumb::thumb:

7. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

WELCOME SmellyFeet:Eek!:

Come and join the Mad hatters tea party.:BigGrin:

I would say hire first that way you will find what you are in for,some likes it, some don't.

Look around dealers but don't always take their word, they after all are after your cash. Visit outdoor shows, ask people in camping area, they are normally friendly and will often show you their pride and joy and give you its good and bad points.
    If you decide its for you make sure you get one that will have enough payload, for 4 people.

You can always ask on here, people on this site have a wealth of knowledge, and are only to happy to help.

Best of luck

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  8. Pete45

Pete45 Read Only Funster

Hi Dave or is it Smellyfeet a big welcome to you,why not go to Malvern show and have a look on the 14 to 16 of august you will see what it is all about then. Pete & Shirl
    ( Arizona Chief ) :thumb:

9. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Hi Dave, buy some mags perhaps MMM, have a look round Becks at Martham, plenty on display new and not so new, there are lots of issues about transport when on site with a mhome, do you consider the orrible thing you hook on the back of your car #*#'~#*.
    Big decision time

Larry

10. JayDee

JayDee Funster

Try it, you know you want to. And we all know you'll love it.

John

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  11. SmellyFeet

SmellyFeet Read Only Funster

Thanks All

Thanks all, just to clarify, leave bees at home, but take ducks and chickens?

Cheers

12. JayDee

JayDee Funster

Why not? :Laughing:. I believe Jim tows his dog behind him - though not on an A-frame.
    And some people take the most unusual of pets, so why not ducks and chickens - no need to buy eggs, and Crispy Duck can be delicious:Eek!:
    :BigGrin:

John

13. Boo

Boo Read Only Funster

Bring em all :thumb:

Duck eggs with a dribble of honey Yum!!

Or you could do what I did..................Jump in with both smelly feet and buy the biggest american R.V you can find! that way, no probs with payload and teens accessories :BigGrin:

Boo