Hi looking to buy our first motorhome after caravanning for many years . (1 Viewer)

nigel smith

Free Member
Dec 14, 2015
leicester
Funster No
MH
auto trail imala 730
Exp
june 2016
Hi we are looking to buy our first motorhome but as so many others what make do we buy ?We would like the layout with the rear French bed and toilet shower at the back with the 2 front bench seats what you can lay down on.
We would also like an automatic gearbox.
Can anybody recommend a make of motorhome we have looked at the autotrail imala 715 which looks ok and can come as an auto I have been told that the peugot cannot do autos is that right.
Any feedback would be appreciated it is a lot of money to spend and not buy right.

Nigel

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Hello
girl-waving-hand-gesture-smiley-emoticon.gif

We made the change almost 4 years ago. My advice is to get out and look at as many as you can. Good luck :xThumb:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hi:)
Sorry, I can't help with advice about the autotrail but just wanted to say that we swopped last year after 25+ years of caravans and wish we'd have done it earlier.

At least you'll have some idea about which layout may work for you....even then if you can, visit lots of dealers. The van we ended up with wasn't anything like what we thought we wanted:D.

Good luck & there's lots of helpful folk on here who can help:)

OP
OP
nigel smith

nigel smith

Free Member
Dec 14, 2015
leicester
Funster No
MH
auto trail imala 730
Exp
june 2016
Thanks for all the replies we are going to the nec in feb and are going to visit elite in Banbury after xmas they seem to have a big stock to look at.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
:xThumb:We had a 2013 Auto trail Tracker FB similar to imala we had a few teething problems but once sorted it was a great van we loved it we only changed to an Exsis because we need to tow a trailer occasionally.:xThumb: Make sure you get the 2.3 150bhp plenty of power

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
im a soon to be ex caravaner , hope to pick up my new MH soon , I would suggest that you get the layout correct first , check the toilets and showers to see if you can stand up in them or sit down as the case may be , try the beds for size and check out your driving liscence to see what max weight you can drive , go to plenty of dealers and then make up your mind , I spent 6 months travelling around looking at motorhomes before deciding and then I went over to Belgium to put a deposit on a MH , do your research and try to get it right first time:xThumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Rear French bed and front end big enough to lie down is going to need a long MH, watch out for weight, there is a critical date for passing your driving test, before that date you can drive up to 7.5 tons, after that you would need to take a test

Best of luck with your search :)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We made the change 7 years ago, to a van like your spec, a Bessacarr E560. Never looked back. Welcome and have fun.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
No way to tell for sure if you are buying right until a couple of years later sadly. There are good and bad in all makes and dealers in both UK and European motorhomes. Go to a show with an open mind and remember to think about payload!!!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Welcome, the best advice I can give is layout, layout, layout. Finding the right one for you will take time and effort but worth it in the end but there is a saying that about the fourth MoHo you own is the one you should have bought first. Imagine being cooped up in it for a couple of days because of bad weather, could you do it?
Good hunting. :xThumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back