Free Member
Jun 2, 2012
Southwest Crete
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 months
Hi, I'm Chris and I'm looking for a motorhome to take to Crete this summer and then to live in for long periods (permanently) over there from autumn 2013.

I'm going to have to keep working so a motorhome would allow me to have a base in a number of different locations on the island. Since the present economic future is uncertain, and property prices in UK are less favourable than I'd hoped, a motorhome, initially would afford flexibility.

I hold a PCV class 1 and regularly drive large vans so am not deterred from a larger vehicle. I also have a couple of dogs so travelling in a van will be a lot easier as I can camp aboard on the Greek ferries.

I have a very limited budget and have looked at an elderly Hymer/Mercedes as I feel that you are likely to be able to find a Mercedes dealer in most places. I'm still looking so am open to suggestions.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Just some observations

Hi, I'm Chris and I'm looking for a motorhome to take to Crete this summer and then to live in for long periods (permanently) over there from autumn 2013.

I'm going to have to keep working so a motorhome would allow me to have a base in a number of different locations on the island. Since the present economic future is uncertain, and property prices in UK are less favourable than I'd hoped, a motorhome, initially would afford flexibility.

I hold a PCV class 1 and regularly drive large vans so am not deterred from a larger vehicle. I also have a couple of dogs so travelling in a van will be a lot easier as I can camp aboard on the Greek ferries.

I have a very limited budget and have looked at an elderly Hymer/Mercedes as I feel that you are likely to be able to find a Mercedes dealer in most places. I'm still looking so am open to suggestions.

Just some observations:

You say you hold a PSV licence... PSV does not extend the entitlement to drive a vehicle such as a motorhome or RV.. dependent when you passed you driving test you may hold a C1 entitlement between 3.5 tons and 7 t.5 ton .. if the licence is a C1 +E then it has a Mass of 8.25 tons (covers a trailer).

If you licence is a B... then you are limited to 3.5 tons. The PSV is not considered at all for motor homes.

The wild camping sounds great... if you can do it... many do all over the place... often discussed on this forum. But I am sure some thoughts need to be given to such things as black tanks disposal and water supply. Also have you given consideration to insurance for the motor home.... will you get cover that allows more than 90 days out of the UK? and also do not forget the vehicle needs road tax.

My observation is that Greece has some real issues at present re the euro.. is it the best place to be?

Just some thoughts.

welcome to the forum by the way... best money you will ever spend is £10 to join the forum.. those free posts soon run out.

Bob

OP
OP
C

ChrisF

Free Member
Jun 2, 2012
Southwest Crete
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 months
Going Greek

Thanks for your observations Bob and for your welcome to Motorhome Fun.

I've held a full UK license for over 40 years so have C1 and C1E as well as D, D1 and D1E. I also have A so I can put a bike on the back for local journeys to save hauling the van wherever I go. Incidentally, I've been a member of the IAM since 1973 so may see what additional training I could obtain through them.

The political and economic climate for the Eurozone is not particularly favourable at present and a disorderly default by Greece, or any other of the Euro countries, could have serious implications, not only in Europe, but to the World Economy, especially the US. I've been following the blogs of Yanis Varoufakis, professor of economic theory at Athens university, for some while now and have read quite widely so have a reasonable understanding of the subject. Strange as I didn't find econonomics particularly interesting when I read it for my degree.

I have friends living on Crete and know the island fairly well so hope to create a network of clients throughout the island. There are a number of ex-pat communities with which I would hope to build a client base as I speak French and a certain amount of German this should broaden the net. As my Greek improves, I would hope to work more with Greek businesses and I would still hope to work with my existing UK clients remotely.

My intention is to rent out my UK properties and, having made no fixed investment abroad, would be able to return to UK if things take a serious turn for the worse: hence the investment in a motorhome. I have located an insurer who provides 90 day European cover and am assured by my broker that I can get 365 day cover if required. There is currently a tax imposed on foreign vehicles imported into Greece for more than 6 months so most owners simply go for a brief visit to Italy or Bulgaria every six months in order to restart the clock. I would expect to return to UK from time-to-time to see friends and family so would arrange for MOT and Pet Passport formalities at that time. The ferry companies offer terrific discounts during the off-peak months which is when I would expect to travel back.

There is certainly a lot to consider when planning such a move: I appreciate your input and would be glad to hear from anyone who has attempted a similar venture.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Chris, welcome to MHF ..

just one comment, bear in mind 365 insurance is not the same as fulltime insurance .. check with your broker and declare that you will be living and working from your van.

good luck, sounds like a bit of an adventure

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello Chris and welcome to Fun...:welcomefunster:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

ChrisF

Free Member
Jun 2, 2012
Southwest Crete
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 months
Thanks everyone

Thanks for your welcome messages.

I have already found a great deal of useful information on the site and purchased the motorhome buyers guide which I have read and digested.

I noticed, at the end of the buyers guide, that subscribers to Fun can download the motorhome security guide however there is a note in the download section stating that it is currently unavailable.

Is there an alternative download location?

Thanks

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
seems you are all set

Thanks for your observations Bob and for your welcome to Motorhome Fun.

I've held a full UK license for over 40 years so have C1 and C1E as well as D, D1 and D1E. I also have A so I can put a bike on the back for local journeys to save hauling the van wherever I go. Incidentally, I've been a member of the IAM since 1973 so may see what additional training I could obtain through them.

The political and economic climate for the Eurozone is not particularly favourable at present and a disorderly default by Greece, or any other of the Euro countries, could have serious implications, not only in Europe, but to the World Economy, especially the US. I've been following the blogs of Yanis Varoufakis, professor of economic theory at Athens university, for some while now and have read quite widely so have a reasonable understanding of the subject. Strange as I didn't find econonomics particularly interesting when I read it for my degree.

I have friends living on Crete and know the island fairly well so hope to create a network of clients throughout the island. There are a number of ex-pat communities with which I would hope to build a client base as I speak French and a certain amount of German this should broaden the net. As my Greek improves, I would hope to work more with Greek businesses and I would still hope to work with my existing UK clients remotely.

My intention is to rent out my UK properties and, having made no fixed investment abroad, would be able to return to UK if things take a serious turn for the worse: hence the investment in a motorhome. I have located an insurer who provides 90 day European cover and am assured by my broker that I can get 365 day cover if required. There is currently a tax imposed on foreign vehicles imported into Greece for more than 6 months so most owners simply go for a brief visit to Italy or Bulgaria every six months in order to restart the clock. I would expect to return to UK from time-to-time to see friends and family so would arrange for MOT and Pet Passport formalities at that time. The ferry companies offer terrific discounts during the off-peak months which is when I would expect to travel back.

There is certainly a lot to consider when planning such a move: I appreciate your input and would be glad to hear from anyone who has attempted a similar venture.

I must say makes a change to read of someone that does not have there head in the clouds and has looked at the many and varied issues that they could face.

I will hope to read of your adventures on MHF as time goes by. Wish you well and thanks for coming back to let us know how you have progressed so far.

Bob:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back