Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Cannock, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Apache 634
Exp
I'm a newbie
............... along with my wife Pauline, we are researching to buy our first motorhome together. It could be a one off purchase as I have some money coming my way. I want to by something that will give us at least 5 years comfortable good use.

We are looking for something not too big so that Pauline can drive it as well, she has never driven a van before though I drive a Luton on a regular basis with my work.

We are being drawn towards either an Autocruise Stargazer or an Autotrail Tracker EKS as these seem to be the size and layout that we like and looking for something registered around 2008 to 2010.

We will be purchasing towards the end of this year or early next year, in the meantime research into running costs, maintianance and storage and advice from the good people on here.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
:HelloThere:. Welcome to Fun.

Will be well worth you're £15 subscription to be a full member here as you can then ask all the questions you want, get any advice you want and later join in rallies when you have your motorhome.

Exciting times ahead, enjoy them.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We've just arranged to buy an Autotrail cheyenne. Same layout as the tracker. Bit different for us as we've always been used to the rear lounge layout. Seems more roomier than our current one with only 2 inches longer than ours now being 6.7 metres.

Dergrowler

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 7, 2013
Banbury, Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class, Hymer B578
Exp
Since 2013
hiya.gif
&
welcome3.gif

You will get all the advice your need on this site no matter what questions you have, ask away.

Enjoy

David & Gill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Hello and welcome, if Pauline feels confident about driving this size of van you shouldn't be too restricted, bigger ones are just as easy to drive.
Would advise hiring the type of van you like, as the reality might not match the dream, could save a lot of time and money if the van you chose proves not to be suitable. Our first joint (as in together not make) van did us proud for nearly 6 years, only changed because J wanted to take a motorbike with us.
Great way to spend time enjoy your search, try the beds for size and make sure your payload is sufficient.

OP
OP
Mickrik

Mickrik

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Cannock, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Apache 634
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,

thanks for the cheery welcome.

and advice

I think this will be fun :)

I will need to store the vehicle when not in use as my drive is only short, so I am looking at storage facility this afternoon.

Mick

Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Hello :hi: We,ve got the Starblazer and the thought of driving it terrified me, but you soon get used to it. Hope you find the one that suits you best. Good luck :smiley:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi and welcome.
When we changed our camper last year we bought Motorhome manoeuvring courses for each other as a joint Christmas present. Even though we are both confident drivers, we considered that we were not too old to learn.
Very pleased we did it, we did learn new things even though during the "on the road" assessment we were both told that we were doing everything right and that was in itself confidence boosting.
Would recommend to anyone especially when starting out with a larger vehicle.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Just read that you are looking for storage, so my second tip is to check if anything will drain the battery whilst unused. We had never had a problem with previous camper so I was not prepared for the drain made by the alarm on new one. Flat battery not what you want when you have travelled to storage to collect for a nice weekend away. We now have solar panel fitted.

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Storage is a great idea. We've had ours at a place 5 miles from home for 4years now and it means it's not sitting in the drive all the time and no one knows when we're away in it. Our storage place has electric gates,we have a pass card that opens them and we come and go as we like. £250per annum

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Depending on the postcode area (and therefore the Theft risk from motor insurer's point of view) site security is as important as 'other' things may be to you. Unless they (insurers) regard the site as being a 'Secure' one according to their industry stats - they can even at times refuse to insure vans in them. The storage industry also has standards too - CASSOA 'Gold' is supposed to be the best - however as long as there are scrotes in society - if they are determined to get past security - then they will.

OK they may not be able to steal a whole vehicle or caravan - but armed with nothing more threatening than one nail it is possible to do one helluva lot of damage. And provide a brick, lump of rock or in our case the once with a caravan locked behind an apparently secure high fence and gate - a piece of pristine but broken brown earthenware drainage pipe - straight through the window and about £1,000 went - awning, portapotti, freestanding Flavel enamel stove, all sorts. Plus the £350 for a new window from Eeco. And there was us, nothing valuable ever left in the van .......

So - do take care! It was insured, Phew, cos we were a bit skint at the time - but are both fairly conservative (though not entirely paranoid LOL) about insuring things, to say the least!

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
:pink: And good luck with your search for your dream motorhome!(y)

OP
OP
Mickrik

Mickrik

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Cannock, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Apache 634
Exp
I'm a newbie
Wow, such a friendly forum.............. unbelievable..........

I paid a visit to a local storage facility yesterday and was pleasantly suprised.

Perimeter Trench, Perimeter Trees, Perimeter High Fence, Cameras, Guard dogs that make lots of noise, friendly owner and an on-site accessory shop with loads of needy goodies.

Bought our first item for our van, a lightweight dinner service with a funky pattern on it.

Well impressed.

I went to Stafford Showground to have a good look a couple of weekends ago. There again everyone was friendly to talk to and there were loads of example pre owned MH's to have a good look around so I could evaluate what I can expect to get for my money, the different layouts, and how well they each use their space.

Worth every minute being there and learned loads.

Mick

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
My advice for what its worth is identify what you will be using your van for ie weekends away in the summer , long term tours, winter use etc. Dont take anything the salesmen tell you as gospel no matter how nice they are.
Please get an independent damp check etc on your choice of vans as they are , not knocking your choice just my opinion.
Just because your spending a chunk of money dont mean you will get more a better or decent van sometimes.
And remember you can only spend money once sounds patronising i know but it definitely isnt meant that way .

Blimey it should be fun buying your first van , its being so cheerfull that keeps me going (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back