Hi Guys... Any chance of some advice? (1 Viewer)

Paul W

Free Member
Feb 23, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello, My name is Paul W, and I'm looking to buy my first camper van this year.
At the moment, I drive a Citreon Dispatch van which is just great for my bikes, kayaks and climbing gear, and can just about manage to sleep me, my GF and my dog on short weekend trips.

I want to buy my first camper van, and have scoured ebay and local sales for something suitable, but I am on a limted budget - at most £7000.

I will also need it to be economical enough to run as my main vehicle for work, and since I do a fair amount of city driving, it will need to be small enough - so a VW T4/T5 or Vivaro type van is about as big as I can go.

Pop top would be good, as I am tall, but I also need a roofrack to take 2 kayaks. I've seen some pics of brackets on pop tops (Camper Conversions of Torbay have one on their website), but I am concerned whether the lid could take the 60kg extra weight of two kayaks ? Can anyone advise ?

Anything particular I should look out for ?

Thanks for any help.

Paul

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
£7k is a tight budget for a camper that you want to use as a daily driver.

You should be able to pick up a Hiace import for that which will do the job well, these can be sourced between 5-7k. I think the Nissan Elgrand may peak over slightly.

Bongos as within your bracket - but a little thirstly for their size (do less than a c-class!) and have 3000 mile oil change intervals.

There are other ways, but that would mean it being an additional vehicle and one that you may not have access to every weekend, but again, that would peak your just over your budget although it would cost you nothing else.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
You have set yourself a tight budget especially if you want a day van too. If you want more room in the van but still require to carry all your equipment, is it possible to think of buying a van conversion with a towbar and haul your kit in a trailer? This would mean a small van during the week and when away if the kit wasn't needed it would not clutter up the van.
Only a thought but a cheaper option rather than buying a bigger van which during the week would not be needed. Also much more economical to run.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Just wondering if you having any luck with your search, think the difficult part is finding something that will double up for everyday use as well. Good Luck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back