Hi from Mike in West Wales

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by sp2mike, Jun 20, 2013.

1. sp2mike

sp2mike Read Only Funster

Hello!

My wife and I are yet to acquire a motorhome but we have started the ball rolling by hiring one this September for a long weekend for a try-out. We are comfortable with confined spaces - we recently sold a 25' yacht which we used for holidays and weekends away.

We have looked inside some lovely new models but our purchase probably early next year will be secondhand. In addition to weekends and holidays, I shall use it as a base when I am out (I travel to see my clients and family throughout England and Wales) so it will be good to have a home from home rather than a hotel room.

I'm here to learn! I've driven LWB vans and larger so the size does not concern me. Just trying to get to grips with budgets and what we may need to lay out. Prices between some second-hand sites seem to vary so much. We may want to buy and then trade up in a few years and travelling to Hungary to see friends is also on the "to do" list.

Looking forward to gaining more of an insight before we take the plunge!

• Like Like x 3
  2. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

Hi Mike & wife!

Welcome to the FUN :thumb:

Do plenty of homework, visit lots of dealers & shows and above all ENJOY - it's a great life :Laughing:

3. Shuggy68

Shuggy68

hi

might be on my way down your way tomorrow shell island

4. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Hi Mike and welcome to fun:thumb:

5. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

Hi Mike & Wife

heading to Anglesey & North Wales on Saturday for a 3 week tour of Wales & South Coast, first real trip we have had since bought MH last July. It took us almost 2 years to find the right van at the right price, yes lots of new shiny one but we wanted a good second hand one, our was an 07 and cost under £20k but depending on model etc you can spend a lot more and do not forget the cost of all the extras that you need, BUT watch what you buy and don't rush into anything.
    for example we bought expensive sleeping bags then saw the Duvalys and bought them !!! Think about what you would like in a van and what extras you would want then make a list with tick boxes then just keep on looking till you find a van that ticks MOST of the boxes.
    Also watch out on the age thing as may need new tyres and timing belt fitted, I got caught with both so set me back best part of £1k so watch out. Also make sure that the van is NOT DAMP major problem with some vans !!!

6. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Hi Mike and welcome:thumb:

We need more Welsh on here.

7. Shuggy68

Shuggy68

more welsh y?

why :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  8. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

New to the MH life

Hi Mike,

You will get loads of excellent advice on this terrific site and chances are most of us have learned the hard way! We are on our third van now and I think we have finally got what we want and more importantly, what we need. We spent seval years going to the shows before taking the plunge.

First we bought a new overcab 4 berth Dethleffs with a rear bed and large garage. Great van, but we found that the lounge and bathroom were too small and it was generally only the 2 of us in the van.

Then we bought another new van; a twin single bed, rear bathroom Chausson. Another great van, but not as solidly built as the Dethleffs. The lounge wash an improvement and the beds and rear bathroom were great. The fuel consumption from the 6 speed 2.3 Fiat unit was around 32mpg. Downside was the long overhang, the lack of external storage and the relatively flimsy build quality.

So we swapped that for our current van, bought second hand (five years old at the time). It gives us everything we need and the build quality was first class. W changed to Hymer on the recommendation of our friends who already owned one and glad we did. They don't come cheap but we have no regrets is swapping new for old.

Incidentally, our Hymer friends have recently switched to a LWB IH TIO. Just as long, but narrower - they like to get down all the narrow,lanes. We are content to use the cycles if the local roads are too narrow, but it is a reminder that the type of use you will,put the van to, is important.

Happy hunting!

Gary:Smile:

9. sp2mike

Thanks

for all the welcome messages! However I must confess I am an immigrant from Essex via Kent :BigGrin:

Sadly the weather here has taken a turn for the worse today and we have rain which some say is typical but don't believe that. We run a holiday cottage and our guests all leave here well tanned...

Must say that seeing some of the motorhomes on the motorhomesforsale.co.uk site (which I discovered today) I am most confused on pricing as some are considerably less than dealers are asking - I realise private sellers are more of a risk and don't offer warranties but am surprised by the difference. No doubt I will weed out scammers in due course if we go that way.

10. Chris

Oh well, you can't have everything can you.

I have gone in the opposite direction.

Where in West Wales are you?

11. Chris

Intelligence.:BigGrin:

12. sp2mike

No you can't ... :BigGrin:

We are just outside of Foelgastell, 2 miles west of Cross Hands in Carmarthenshire. Used to live in Tonbridge.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

you mentioned using it as a business vehicle, this can open a large tin of worms regarding insurance so also something you may want to look into

14. gypsyrose

gypsyrose Funster

Croeso i'r fforwm!! (Welcome to the forum!) :Wink:
    You have joined as member of a fantastic group.

15. sp2mike

Thanks, yes I have looked at this and will need to make sure that aspect is covered.

16. Spenders

Spenders

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the FUN.... you've already made the first right decision by subscribing to MotorhomeFun..... you'll easily get back the cost of the subscription in top tips and advice and discount at some top traders.

We spent a magical week in West Wales, round the New Quay / Aberystwyth area.... loved it to bits and will deffo be returning!

Get some stickers for your MH windows so we can spot you out in the wild... see you at a rally/meet soon hopefully.

Simon

17. Shuggy68

Shuggy68

you wat lol?

you wat lol ask the sheep :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

18. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

:welcome: from me too, living in Wales but from Kent :thumb:

19. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Hi Mike and welcome to the brilliant world of motorhoming:BigGrin:

good luck with whatever you get as i'm sure you'll be as hooked as the rest of us:thumb::thumb:

20. sp2mike

There's a lot to be said for it! :Laughing:

• Like Like x 1