Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Hello all,

Well, after looking around at R.V's for the last few months I seatled on a 1998 32ft Chevrolet Winnebago Brave with a 7.4 V8 with a new LPG conversion Link Removed

As far as motorhomes go its aint the newest or the biggest but it has everything I have been looking for (inc a bath) Link Removed

Here's the link: Link Removed

I paid £17,000 with a full MOT, tank of gas and all the little things working that dont........................I am so happy and plan to pick her (now called Winnie) up on the 21st Feb after all the jobs are done Link Removed

Only things I plan to add (apart from some good ol' elbow grease) is a reversing Cam (seen the wireless ones on ebay at £89.99..........are they any good?) and window awnings (anyone know where to get them made?)

Like I said she needs a good scrub inside and out but overall I am like a dog with 2 wotsits Link Removed

Would appresiate any comments or advice as I plan to give up my apartment in Newquay and live in her full time.

Cheers

Boo (surfs up dudes) Link Removed

weymard

Free Member
Jan 25, 2009
CHERBOURG NORMANDY
Funster No
MH
US TRUCK CAMPER
Exp
Welcome in the forum !!
Wow good price for your motorhome ! and could be driven with licence car ?? How it is possible ???

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Boo

welcome to the fun side..

fully covered your question on our sister site ... RVOC . :winky:

Good luck

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Welcome :welcome: to you and congratulations on your purchase :thumb: may you have loads of FUN in her ::bigsmile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Welcome to the site, wonderful motor, Do make sure you have the correct licence to drive it. If you drive without the correct licence your insurance is invalid as a friend of mine has recently found out. Driving without insurance resulted in his vehicle being confiscated and crushed. The law is not so forgiving as it once was.

Last edited:

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
hello and welcome wish you good luck with your new toy . we are in penryn , off to spain on the 11th feb in the hope of some sun . fed up with the rain . :thumb:

OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Welcome to the site, wonderful motor, Do make sure you have the correct licence to drive it. If you drive without the correct licence your insurance is invalid as a friend of mine has recently found out. Driving without insurance resulted in his vehicle being confiscated and crushed. The law is not so forgiving as it once was.

Hi all and thanks for the welcome :Smile:

She is under 7.5 tons so I'm fine to drive her, Yes Jim, nice to see you again mate :winky: wondered if it was linked...................so who was the rebel lol! :ROFLMAO:
Spain eh Theresa?
Unfortunatly I've got another 15yrs before I retire...................I work in Scorrier.............wouldn't mind some names of good cheap sites :Smile:, is joining the CC a good idea?

I can't wait to start living in her and working on her *grins*

I have experienced living in a motorhome before, I took a Ford Delta 28ft B class to Portugal for a couple of years and loved evey min (except when the breaks caught on fire coming down the mountain and then we lost all of our transmission fluid) But thats another storey :winky:

I'm looking for advice and do's and don'ts of cleaning interior and Exterior.

Cheers

Boo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Welcome to this site too,
Boo I would be very interested in the Insurance company that gave you that quote as its about a third what most are quoting me, Im up for renewal Feb, have you got the correct cover contents, full windscreen cover(most Important)
Geo

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Welcome Boo
Nice looking RV.....I would be wary of buying reversing cams on ebay if you do make sure the camera is waterproof.
Your window awnings can be had made to measure fromStarspangledspanner or Statesidetuning both are members of this forum

Happy Trails

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi and welcome to the fun boo (colin)

Looks a bargain that does, jsut the job. May you have many happy travels and hope to see you at one of the Fun do's soon.:ROFLMAO::thumb:

OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Welcome Boo
Nice looking RV.....I would be wary of buying reversing cams on ebay if you do make sure the camera is waterproof.
Your window awnings can be had made to measure fromStarspangledspanner or Statesidetuning both are members of this forum

Happy Trails

Thanks for that info Tony, I will p.m them :Smile:

The Insurance company I think was called Caravan Guard but I'm not that sure as I didn't write their name down as I was driving, I did however request it in writing so as soon as I get it I will post details............the bits I do remember is it included all glass (£50 excess) it is full comp with a £300 excess and that even includes breakdown cover (but not abroad) but the insurance covers you abroad for a 90 stint. oh and it covers your generator too :winky:..............all for £282.71.

I'm trawling the net at the moment for sites around Scorrier/redruth.............do most sites do discount for block bookings/payments? I mean if you was to pay 4 month in advance do they make the rates cheaper? or will I have to find a farm somewhere lol.

Oh just a quick last question...............how do you go on with Internet? will I need to use my mobile or do most sites have wireless?

Cheers

Boo (Garrie)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thanks for the info Garrie
I will sound them out if its a differant company let us all know
pointers to watch out for in your new policy max glass limit Screens cost aprox £1500 per half and if you loose both halfs is that one claim or two ??
recovery is another grey area the vast majority cliam to cover but weight and size in most cases exludes RVs,(max 3.5 Ton) dont get caught out its expensive:Eeek:

To answer your questions yes lap top and dongle is the way, or phone
not many sites with Tinternet never mind wi fi but thers alway Mc Donalds car parks for free conection:thumb:
Geo
Just got off the phone with them £850 !!!!!!! so either you have the wrong cover or I hope the wrong company

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Thanks for the info Garrie
I will sound them out if its a differant company let us all know
pointers to watch out for in your new policy max glass limit Screens cost aprox £1500 per half and if you loose both halfs is that one claim or two ??
recovery is another grey area the vast majority cliam to cover but weight and size in most cases exludes RVs,(max 3.5 Ton) dont get caught out its expensive:Eeek:

To answer your questions yes lap top and dongle is the way, or phone
not many sites with Tinternet never mind wi fi but thers alway Mc Donalds car parks for free conection:thumb:
Geo

You mean McD's are good for something apart from heart attack plastic lung burgers and wallpaper paste milkshakes?

What is a dongle? sounds like the disfunctional family on Emerdale Farm lol!

Garrie

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm trawling the net at the moment for sites around Scorrier/redruth.............do most sites do discount for block bookings/payments? I mean if you was to pay 4 month in advance do they make the rates cheaper? or will I have to find a farm somewhere lol.

Oh just a quick last question...............how do you go on with Internet? will I need to use my mobile or do most sites have wireless?

Hi

You may be able to negotiate a discount but bear in mind most touring sites have a max stay of 28 days .. so it's very unlikely . CLs are the best bet but are still regulated to 28 days, some will let you stay longer but it's at their discretion .. it may mean moving off site for a night then coming back .
You may be able to find a farmer but unless you know them personally it won't be easy .

A dongle is a usb device that connects to the net, T Mobile, Vodafone and '3' networks all provide a 'pay as you go' or contract ...
With PAYG you need to buy the dongle , around £60 , with a contract it's usually provided free .. just as they do with phone contracts.

Visit to an independent phone shop such as Carphone Warehouse and they will explain the different price plans .. and options.

I use '3' on a PAYG .

OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Best price I got so far is £50 a week ................ the site is at Penhalvean Pottery which looks nice.

3 on PAYG? isnt that expensive for internet access Jim?

Garrie

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Best price I got so far is £50 a week ................ the site is at Penhalvean Pottery which looks nice.

3 on PAYG? isnt that expensive for internet access Jim?

Garrie

I bought a 3 g dongle with a starter bundle of 3gb last Dec .. they say it will last 3 months , but I'm a heavy user and it will probably need topping up after two months.. so it will work out about £15 per month

I used to use TMobile with unlimited data but that costs £1 per day .. shop around and compare bundles and plans... . it depends on how much you will use it..
something to bear in mind, when you buy a bundle it has a time limit, if you don't use it .. you lose it.

attached is my balance today

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
I figured out it wasn't Caravanguard as they rang me tonight to give me a quote lol! it was £470.95................So I will eagerly await the post :)

Bought a mobile internet contract with T Mobile (they share same beacons as 3) ::bigsmile: £15 a month over 18 months for a 3.5 connection with no limit (fairshare) and I got a free doogle with it :roflmto:...................cheaper than home :ROFLMAO:

Can I take my skybox with me and just plug it in (then the self seeker dish can wizz around like a stoned darlick) and it will work?

Still could do with some pointers on cleaning products for the outside please :RollEyes:

Garrie

OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
O.K, Well I rushed home tonight and opened my postbox to find a quote for (get this) £207.71 for:

Basic Quote: (including £25 admin).............£193.71

Extra Personal Accident & Road Rage Cover:£14.00

Motor legal protection:...............................FREE!

TOTAL £268.71 ::bigsmile:

Motorhome Breakdown Cover: £75.00

The insurer is Kintic Underwriting and the broker is Adrian Flux (0800 783 1392)

I picked up the phone and rang them and everything was going through nicely then he said "Oh, I think the other guy gave you the wrong price as he has quoted it as a British motorhome but let me see what I can do"

1 min later he came on and said " I have talked to my boss and the quote should be around £420.00 including breakdown cover but we are willing to do it for no comission and give you it all included (ie: policy, admin fee, Motor legal protection, Extra Personal Accident & Road Rage Cover and Breakdown cover) for only £304.90! :roflmto:

I'm now glad I got the indian guy yesterday on the phone....Oh and he had spelt Winibaygo lololol! :ROFLMAO:

That is under 5,000 miles a year (which I requested) and £1,000.00 windscreen cover (mine being a split screen its classed as two pieces of glass so I should be o.k :winky:)

Anyhoo thats the insurance fiasco sorted :Cool:

Boo

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Welcome Boo

Happy Trails

I don't seem to be able to find those members on the list :Sad:

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Boo

brianju

Free Member
Sep 18, 2007
Hampshire Hogs now in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
A class 1991 Hymer B544
Exp
10yrs ish - US 5th Wheel/US RV/Eurovan
I don't seem to be able to find those members on the list :Sad:

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Boo

Hi Boo

Starspangledspanner username is ........... damondunc :thumb:

Statesidetuning username is .......... Lindy-C :thumb:

Bet you can't wait to collect your Winnie and drive ::bigsmile: enjoy your run down to Cornwall.

OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Well, I picked her up last Friday ::bigsmile:

What a beautiful day to drive back it was too...............or so I thought :Doh:
The handover took almost 3 hours so it was late afternoon by the time I started her purring vortec V8 and set off on the 238 mile trip home to Cornwall.
After finding I was trying to concentrate on the little mark on the windscreen too much and it was making me snake a little..........I relaxed back into my very comfy captin's chair, clicked on the cruize control set at 55mph and started to look ahead and noticed the numourous campers flashing their lights and waving at me...........that was until it came dark and I could no longer see the mark on the window let alone the curb line I was suposed to aim it at as the headlights were candle powered and the main beam was set at about 4ft in front shining on the floor :Sad:.........then it got worse on a A30 as the fog drifted in...........I ended up following a car all the way lol!

Anyhoo..............we got back with just one tree branch scratch which is only small ...................so all in all it was a successful trip I recon ::bigsmile:
I started packing all my worldly goods into her this week (s'prising just how many lockers full of crap I have hordered over the years :winky: and I am already to move out sat and become a new age traveller.............or what ever they call us :ROFLMAO:

Anyhoo see you all on the road and remeber...............STAY WELL LEFT IF YOU SEE ME LOL! :thumb:

Boo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back