Hi from a newbie (1 Viewer)

Cheshire Cat

Free Member
Nov 8, 2009
Runcorn Cheshire
Funster No
Exp
Hi From Carol & Alb, Thank you for letting this green horn in::bigsmile: we have just bought our first motor home so the newbie means just that :ROFLMAO: it's a Elddis Talbot 21 ft she was made in 1990 and has only done 29 thousand miles a good bargain we think.
we have never traveled by caravan. I am retired and we want to explore our own country. I have come to learn more about it all and who better to come to is the people who have the experience. I have so many questions to ask if I get a pain in the you know what! just say so, I am very excited about the whole new venture awaiting us. First thing for me is how do you plug in for a hair dryer and hot brush is there any special ones we need being a woman thats my first question ::bigsmile:.
Carol

Last edited:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, Carol &Alb welcome to the site, plenty of info on here, just ask!
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi, Carol & Albert ? WELCOME :thumb: Just ask away we were all new once.
Usually people plug into leccy on site to use hair dryers and tongs :thumb: (no problems there ) but if you need to go independent then you are looking at more battery power and inverters or a generator. Before making decisions like that try using your van to see what you need rather than want :thumb::thumb: You may well find you do not need the things you want :ROFLMAO:
terry

OP
OP
C

Cheshire Cat

Free Member
Nov 8, 2009
Runcorn Cheshire
Funster No
Exp
Hi Terry I was thinking if there was no electric hook up on site how to get around it.

we have just bought a new Leisure battery 113AH, we also have 110AH which came with the van. the seller said the 110 was on it's way out we have it charging and seems to be ok
( is this what you mean by a bigger battery)

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Cheshire Cat WELCOME to MH Fun:winky::roflmto:

Ask away we don't mind questions that's how the system works, you learn and next time you answer the questions when you have learnt, it makes it friendly that way. We all start as newbies except we learnt the hard way, no forums then, motorhomers are just friendly folk.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

Only real way round no mains hook up if you want to run maims appliances is a small generator, be carefull with the cheapo ones as they can blow up electronics like TV's etc

Peter

V

vicdicdoc

Deleted User
Hi From Carol & Alb
. . . First thing for me is how do you plug in for a hair dryer and hot brush is there any special ones we need being a woman thats my first question
Carol

A bag of worms this hairdrier subject ! . . . I know 'cause I've been nagged at ! Whilst on hook-up its usually no big problem [Sylv has a 1000w model] . . when OFF mains she had a smaller 600w drier [which has since gone U/S] . . Although we have twin 110Ah leisure batteries and a 1500W inverter fitted I still have to limit her to a few minutes use otherwise the batteries take a severe hammering.
Others will prob be along to offer their insight into this [ongoing] subject !

nicklb

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
12 months
Hi, welcome to the fun:welcome:

You will struggle with the hairdryer, but for the curlers, get a rechargable or gas one, it might keep her quiet for a while

Hope you enjoy you new van and have many years safe travel

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Elect hook up

Hi Terry I was thinking if there was no electric hook up on site how to get around it.

Above from you previous thread. There are not many sites in the UK wiithout elect hookup. As previouly mentioned also, go to a site WITH elect and see how you cope Thats how we did it 6 yrs ago and soon learnt what to take and leave behind.
Lots of info if you brouse this site by clicking on Forums (Top left by Home) and scrolling down to whichever topic you want.
Don't be afraid to ask - we all started at the beginning :Eeek:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
. First thing for me is how do you plug in for a hair dryer and hot brush is there any special ones we need being a woman thats my first question ::bigsmile:
Carol

Oh no not the hair dryer - absolute pain.

You sit at home flick it it on and think nothing of it. But if you are on batteries it can drain them mighty quickly. It takes more electricity than all your lights + TV + computer + DVD play all on at once.

You will even go on sites where a hair dryer can trip the mains.

Next Big One is electric kettle - even worse.

You need to re-think a good bit on the road electricity-toilet-water all are in short supply.

But once you adjust, it's brilliant.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

we have just bought a new Leisure battery 113AH, we also have 110AH which came with the van. the seller said the 110 was on it's way out we have it charging and seems to be ok
( is this what you mean by a bigger battery)
Hi Carol the best way around this problem is plats or a ponytail :ROFLMAO: as already said extra l/batts and inverters ::bigsmile: or generator. Even extra battery's create there own problems like charging :cry::cry: You may have to upgrade your on board charger :Eeek: or go down the solar panels route :Eeek::Eeek:

Better to wait and see what you need before spending all your cash on the things you MAY need :thumb: PATIENCE :thumb:
terry

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
hi Carol, welcome to the site, dont forget we have a chatroom.
motorhoming is a different way of life but one we all eventually settle into without great traumas.
Use of water and electricity must change. It you are on an expencive site (any site you pay for is expencive, hee hee) Then water will be on tap and electricity available.
However on the cheaper CL's and wildcamping Electricity will not be available other than through your battery. Think gas powered for kettle, fridge, curling tongs. Hair dryer you use that old favorite, a towel! or use the hand dryer in public loos. (cheap skate or what).
I have not used a hair dryer for 40 years so I'm sure that you can manage for a few weeks. It is a whole new learning experience, be proud of what you can do without. But don't forget the corkscrew and tin opener. Happy campering:thumb:

OP
OP
C

Cheshire Cat

Free Member
Nov 8, 2009
Runcorn Cheshire
Funster No
Exp
Hi all and thanks for all the welcomes.
I am taking all on board what you are all saying.
gas brush forgot about them lol.
pony tail that would be hard with short hair :ROFLMAO:
I will go on the chat room now
once again thanks for all your welcomes it's great to meet you all.
Carol

Rainy

Free Member
Oct 20, 2009
Bexhill East Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
6 months
Hi From Carol & Alb, Thank you for letting this green horn in::bigsmile: we have just bought our first motor home so the newbie means just that :ROFLMAO: it's a Elddis Talbot 21 ft she was made in 1990 and has only done 29 thousand miles a good bargain we think.
we have never traveled by caravan. I am retired and we want to explore our own country. I have come to learn more about it all and who better to come to is the people who have the experience. I have so many questions to ask if I get a pain in the you know what! just say so, I am very excited about the whole new venture awaiting us. First thing for me is how do you plug in for a hair dryer and hot brush is there any special ones we need being a woman thats my first question ::bigsmile:.
Carol

Yes welcome Carol & Alb::bigsmile: We like you two have just bought our first motorhome (2weeks ago!) and im soo excited too! Very good question re the hairdrier i didnt give it a thought ..hopefully we will always find a site with hook up...No prob for Pete.. he aint got much hair left!:ROFLMAO:..ssh bless him:winky:
Hope you enjoy motorhoming
Rainy&Pete

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Hi and Welcome

Men just dont understand that the day can be ruined without a hairdryer. If you are on a site without hook up sometimes in the shower blocks there is a hairdryer or hand dryer ( which is really a desperate measure) . Look around for a 12v hairdryer that runs off your cig lighter in cab, did find one at our local caravan and camping store but just take the one from home.

Dale

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
HI and welcome to the FUN site

And remember there is no such thing as a daft question on this site, we were all beginers once:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back