Free Member
Oct 17, 2011
Mold
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Myself and my wife are interested in buying a motorhome. We currently spend most of our time on our yacht (currently in Greece) and really enjoy it but we do miss seeing large parts of countries.
There will just be the two of us and we are used to living in fairly confined spaces. Intention would be to live in the motorhome for up to 6 months at a time
Any tips about where to start would be good, books etc. We do like the look of A class homes and Hymer in particular but we know too little to make an informed decision.
Early days for us yet but always found it better to get advice before rather than after any decision we make.
Best wishes to every one

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Welcome and how about an RV?

Myself and my wife are interested in buying a motorhome. We currently spend most of our time on our yacht (currently in Greece) and really enjoy it but we do miss seeing large parts of countries.
There will just be the two of us and we are used to living in fairly confined spaces. Intention would be to live in the motorhome for up to 6 months at a time
Any tips about where to start would be good, books etc. We do like the look of A class homes and Hymer in particular but we know too little to make an informed decision.
Early days for us yet but always found it better to get advice before rather than after any decision we make.
Best wishes to every one

Welcome to MHF

Have you considered an RV (American Motrohome).. they range from the smaller type like mine see the link under this post which will take you to the actual one I own and purchased a couple years ago... they go from 23'9" up to 40' weight and licence really is what dictates the size you can drive.. but if you have the C1 + E (with 107 restriction) on your licence then you can drive up to 8,250 kgs MAS (RV up to 7,500 on it's own).... the part relates to trailers.

You can get A, B or C class with living for 4 up to about 8 in an American rig. They are a lot cheaper than european motorhomes, and and can be obtained with diesel or petrol engines. The level of comfort is what beats the european hands down. I had my first european 20 plus years back and only ever had one, after that I went over to American motorhomes or RV's as they are called. Domestic house size fridge and a seperate freezer ..air conditioning in the roof.. often two of them.. lots of other goodies.. have a look on Ebay at what is for sale... there are a fair number of dealers in the UK. Even a couple of main importers of Winnebagos and other makes.. just depends on your budget.

Bob:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi, For touring in Europe, Hymers are excellent, they are a great compromise between size and manouverability. The A classes have very flexible accomodation and also hold their price very well. If you want to tour in the colder months, Hymers and other German makes are superb. Even the most basic are winterised to a standard better than the average ÂŁ130k American RV you'll find in the UK.

Motorhome shows are a great way to look at a lot of motorhomes and get a feel for what you might need. Meanwhile you've started your reseach well by posting here, you'll certainly have lots of opinions to choose from. Welcome to the Fun:thumb:

OP
OP
S

Sea Star

Free Member
Oct 17, 2011
Mold
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for the replies so far, all good info. Will certainly start looking at the options mentioned, including the American RV, but do like the look of Hymers. Have downloaded the MotorHome Buyers Guide and will work through that as well. (saw it mentioned on another thread as useful)
Best wishes Neil:Smile:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Smile:Hello and welcome..... enjoy.:thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Welcome to Fun, wish I was sitting on a yacht in Greece, warm and in the sunshine instead of sitting on a dirty diesel in Poole!

Plenty of advice from members in here:thumb:

Peter

OP
OP
S

Sea Star

Free Member
Oct 17, 2011
Mold
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Welcome to Fun, wish I was sitting on a yacht in Greece, warm and in the sunshine instead of sitting on a dirty diesel in Poole!

Plenty of advice from members in here:thumb:

Peter

Hi when we left our boat a week ago it was blowing a Force 6 and torrential rain. Still can't complain we did have good weather rest of the year:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back