Free Member
Aug 17, 2016
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
None yet
Exp
New
I have joined Motorhome Fun in the hope you experts will be able to help me research the purchase of my first Motorhome. I am looking forward to chatting with you all rather than just reading your posts.

I have read on here that you think you should establish exactly the layout you want to start with, I think we would get the most out of a U shaped rear lounge and hubby wants a separate shower or at least one that is large enough to use a curtain and keep the mess to a minimum. Our budget is flexible but we would love to get what we want for about £25k without having to go for an ancient specimen.

What do you think, is that doable?

OP
OP
S

Sadie1970

Free Member
Aug 17, 2016
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
None yet
Exp
New
Thanks Mr Frog.

Can I add that I have just seen the 'perfect' MH on this site for sale, mrGaz's Auto Trail, but because we are so early into our research and money not available until November, hubby won't budge at the moment. I hope I won't think of it forever as the one that got away!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Sadie and welcome to fun youv'e done the right thing by joining here first. I wouldn't rush into and if your money isn't available until November then why dont you go along to the big show at the NEC. I know your not going for new but it will give you dozens of different layouts to sit n and try for size. If you do take your time maybe spend two days and spend loads of time imagining your on holiday and how you would relax at night.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
welcome animated smiley.gif

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi Sadie and a big :welcome4:from Portugal.
I wouldn't worry too much about a van you can afford being a few years old.Once you start looking in earnest you will find that some of the older vans have more substantial fittings and my own experience confirms this.Last year we PX'exed our 15 year old van for a new one.The old did have a little dampness in the storage area and gas bottle box.It could have been fixed but we decided to have a new one for our retirement.
It's nowhere near as substantially built as the old one but of course incorporates many features the old one didn't have and of course benefits from a warranty,we will soon see what that's worth!!

Good luck with your search and for your budget I expect you can have best of both worlds.decent build quality with any snags already ironed out.Possibly the German Marques would be worth closer inspection!
If we could ever afford another that's where we would look first,although you sometimes hear with problems but not quite so many,maybe (n)

Jun 9, 2016
L'Isle Jourdain, 86150 France
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Just bought an Eriba FT 580
:welcome4:

We did a lot of research on what age we should go for with our budget. A lot of research. It involved spreadsheets and everything. It may be different in other markets but here in CH the main depreciation appears to be in years 1 to 5 and then things calm down a lot with a 10 year old MH being not much cheaper than 5 year old one. Options mean nothing in terms of monetary value and neither does mileage (or kilometre-age over here) until you get past 100k or more. So we found the sweet spot was 5 years old. We ended up with options we never would have added to a new van (due to cost) such as comformatic gearbox, 160 multijet engine, funky sound system, interior upgrades, solar panel, power sockets everywhere, winter options (actually we probably would have stretched to the winter stuff). We were lucky enough to find a very low mileage, one owner MH with all the documentation and in "as new" condition. We paid less than half the original invoice figure. Also worth mentioning that if we'd gone new we would not have got the layout we wanted (PVC with lengthways double bed).

25K is a lot of money - there's bound to be a good deal waiting for you :).

Mickrik

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Cannock, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Apache 634
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi There and................:welcome4: from Mick and Pauline

We collect this beauty on the left on Monday. An Auto-Trail Apache 634 with a U lounge. We also decided that the U lounge was right for us though this one also has a double berth over the cab as well to give a bit of extra versatility. Can't wait to take her out Monday night. We have spent a few months looking around and for me the best advice has come through looking on these forums and visiting a Major Show such as Malvern.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hi There and................:welcome4: from Mick and Pauline

We collect this beauty on the left on Monday. An Auto-Trail Apache 634 with a U lounge. We also decided that the U lounge was right for us though this one also has a double berth over the cab as well to give a bit of extra versatility. Can't wait to take her out Monday night. We have spent a few months looking around and for me the best advice has come through looking on these forums and visiting a Major Show such as Malvern.
So pleased you've found one enjoy and happy travels !

OP
OP
S

Sadie1970

Free Member
Aug 17, 2016
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
None yet
Exp
New
Oh, I am very envious of you, I look forward to reading about how you get on. I will be especially interested in what you find out as it is exactly what we want. We do intend visiting some of the big exhibitions too.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I missed the original post here but :welc:Our first van was the 634U, great van and thoroughly enjoyed it, loved to reverse into slots so we could use the rear lounge to advantage.

beejay

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
West Dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Newbies, now have a Chausson Flash 08
We've just made our decision to buy. We were torn between rear lounge and fixed bed. The dealer helped us decide in the end and we're having a fixed bed. So here's hoping made right decision. BTW seems to have taken longer to decide to buy the motorhome than deciding to buy a house. However it's still a huge decision and I'm sure I speak for others, we don't want to buy in haste and repent at leisure. :eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back