Hi everyone (1 Viewer)

Apr 8, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
PVC conversion
Exp
30+ years
Now officially a senile citizen, wife said I had to get a hobby before I could retire! Having been through converted Sherpa Van, Transit pop top and Commer coachbuilt many years ago, we have been happily caravanning for the last 20 years or so.

With hopefully lots more time availability in the coming years (but perhaps not as much energy:(), I thought it made sense to buy a van/minibus to convert to a motorhome. The minibus seemed an easier first attempt already having windows, so bought an ex charity Renault Master (low mileage), which even had a brand new solar panel on the roof (that works!) and a brand new leisure battery. Previous owner made a 'sort of' attempt to convert it, but I've ripped it all out to start again.

So, steep learning curve ahead, already had loads of enjoyment planning, drawing, preparing shopping list and looking forward to seeing what you guys have all done before me. The work (and fun) has begun:cautious:, looking forward to retirement to enjoy it all:D.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
:hiya2: Tarn2, welcome to the fun (y)

If you're not sure about any aspect of the forums, check out Broken Link Removed

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
welcome animated smiley.gif

OP
OP
Tarn2
Apr 8, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
PVC conversion
Exp
30+ years
Thank you all for your warm welcomes - what a friendly bunch you all are!

So, aluminium foil bubble insulation done, next thought is do I put in Recticel/Celotex on top of that as well?

Then make sure all wires are in place before stretchy carpet lining goes in - hope I don't forget anything!:unsure:

Strange thing about this build is that the first thing to go in, and everything built round it, will be the dog crate! (I know my place!)

D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
Now officially a senile citizen, wife said I had to get a hobby before I could retire! Having been through converted Sherpa Van, Transit pop top and Commer coachbuilt many years ago, we have been happily caravanning for the last 20 years or so.

With hopefully lots more time availability in the coming years (but perhaps not as much energy:(), I thought it made sense to buy a van/minibus to convert to a motorhome. The minibus seemed an easier first attempt already having windows, so bought an ex charity Renault Master (low mileage), which even had a brand new solar panel on the roof (that works!) and a brand new leisure battery. Previous owner made a 'sort of' attempt to convert it, but I've ripped it all out to start again.

So, steep learning curve ahead, already had loads of enjoyment planning, drawing, preparing shopping list and looking forward to seeing what you guys have all done before me. The work (and fun) has begun:cautious:, looking forward to retirement to enjoy it all:D.

It sounds like you ought to join the FREE to join www.diymotorhome.co.uk forum that Jim who owns this site has recently set up.

There are quite a few of us already over there who have quite a lot of experience with regards to self building and conversion in general.

All the best

Phil

OP
OP
Tarn2
Apr 8, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
PVC conversion
Exp
30+ years
Hi Phil. Already joined under the name Tarn and been having a nosey around. Must say that both forums are a goldmine of info and my list of 'must haves' in my MH gets longer after every visit! Like the storage ideas at the back doors, already got similar plans, but the offside door HAS to have bottom part accessible for dog to get into crate (wife says so!), so storage on that side a bit higher up.:) Whilst I have owned various conversions/pop top/coachbuilt in the past this will be my first self build attempt, so I am happy to be one of your 'first timers'! Currently working on electrics/lighting (via solar panel/leisure battery), 240v sockets and getting wiring in place before I cover too much up with carpeting and furniture. Look forward to sharing some of the triumphs and avoiding too many disasters with your experience please.

D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
Hi Phil. Already joined under the name Tarn .

Well shiver me timbers!!
Rather than looking over there why not start asking a whole load of questions so that people like Peter (listerdiesel) can start giving you some of their worldly knowledge and experience.

All the best

Phil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back