hi can you help first timer

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by jolyon, Dec 17, 2008.

1. jolyon

jolyon Deleted User

first time trip to france off on 27 .12 visting paris & disney only done few small trips before hoping to use ares , if we can find them.is it safe to use gas heater all night on low i have just brought co monoxide detector.as ares sites only have low amps so i beleave.how long will 2 6kg bottles last as we will be away 6 nights. Any other info would be great thanks.:thumb:

2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

safe or not calor gas produces moisture when it burns so you will end up soaked with everything soggy. No gas device should be left on all night, an extra duvet will sort you out. Ive slept in vans with icycles hanging from an uninsulated ceiling but been as warm as toast just because we had enough blankets and duvets. warm the van before you go to bed then switch the fire off, the fridge will keep the chill off the air anyway.

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi

Not all aires have only 6A, many have 10 or even 16A EHU.. but even on a 6A EHU you could run a low power oil filled heater up to 800 or 1kw .. some aires have no EHU.

Using gas heating is perfectly safe provided it has been serviced and well maintained.

The MH parking at Euro Disney has no ehu and the water may be off, so take enough with you. cost is €13 per night.

2 x 6kg should be ample for 6 nights.

Have a safe and happy trip :Smile:

Jim

4. eribiste

eribiste Read Only Funster

Winter Camping

Hi Jolyon,

Can't help you with stays around Paris as I've only ever been there twice, both times by accident while trying to avoid it!

As to your gas bottles, two 6kg bottles should keep you going for the six days you are thinking of, although a 6kg and a 13kg would be more comfortable. That's what I carry in my Hymer. In the winter with the heaters running, doing hot water and cooking meals, the 13kg easily lasts over a week. With a bit of 'economical' operation I'm sure you'll be OK. Safety wise, I've never experienced any gas/CO problems. I presume that the heater has been serviced/checked?

Have a great time,

Eribiste

5. Thepips

Thepips Trade Member

I've heard this said before but I don't see how it can produce moisture inside the M/H. Surely the LPG is burnt in the combustion chamber and is completely separate from the warmed air? Or have I missed something obvious again!

Regards
    Doug

6. geofliz

geofliz Read Only Funster

We have left our gas heater on during the night for the last 30 years or so winter caravanning and motorhome use and have never had a problem. Have a great time in France, wish we were there with you!

7. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

There are 2 basic types of gas heaters fitted in motor homes.
    1/ has a flu (Chimney) that send all of the gas products outside in exactly the way a gas fire fitted in your house works.

2/The other one is a catalitic heater, this burns the gas inside a fiber matting and you dont see much of a flame, (you can see it glow red in the dark) this kind of heater lets all the gas product into the room were the heater is. the action of the catalist is supposed to reduce/remove the dangerous products. But ?????????

I personaly dont like this type as it does present a danger where as the one with the chimney is safe to use all night (providing that it has no faults (leaks) and is fitted correctly. We use ours 24/24 if its cold enough.

Doug...

8. iceni

iceni Read Only Funster

Hi
    I never have a problem leaving the traumatic on all night.
    if you can take a small elec heater so much theb better but 2 x 6kg will last 6 days ok.

Phill

9. WillH

WillH Funster

Hi,

We use the Trumatic heater year round, on the low setting it doesn't use much electricity, when we have used it on the gas it is sumpremely effective.It is designed to be used day and night though as stated above it must be serviced annually. I am a professional engineer but will still not fiddle with the gas services.

Rgds
    Bill

10. madbluemad

madbluemad

Hi Jolyjon

I believe that you can stay at the carpark at disney paris. There must then be transport into paris so you can have a wander. The problem with t he car park though would be ehu

Jim :Smile:

11. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi Jim
    see my first post .. :Wink:

There is a high speed rail link to Paris from the park.

12. ALICIA21

ALICIA21 Deleted User

I really enjoyed this. where can I find more info about this. email me..