Free Member
Apr 4, 2012
Kent
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
For the first few years of our marrage we were avid campers going all over the UK and France with our trusty tent. We then discovered the fly away holiday and forgot all about camping and I might add the weekend away. After 18 years away we are now looking to return in a bit more "luxury" by purchasing our 1st motorhome. We are hiring a Carioca 706 for a long weekend in a couple of weeks to try before we buy. Any advice or comments are most welcome.
For our first adventure we are looking to pitch in either Kent or East Sussex so if anyone can recommend a dog friendly site this would be most helpful.
As there are now only the 2 of us and the dog we know the motorhome we are hiring is on the big side, and we will probably buy something smaller however we would like plenty of space and figure if we can handle this then we can most things, any advice or comments would again be most welcome.

Many thanks Regards Willis

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
welcome to the forum

Welcome to the forum.

We live in Kent.. Tunbridge Wells, great place Kent, plenty to see and do.

I suggest you consider joining a club.. say the CCC - Camping and Caravanning club or the CC Caravan Club .. they have lots of sites and dog friendly. You get a book from them with all the sites they own. You get electric hook up, water and disposable of waste on there sites, there are also sites called CL's which cater for 5 motorhomes... not as big as the main sites that can have over a 100 motor homes or caravans on them.

You can from book shops get guides like the AA do of the sites as well. There are many holiday sites that have static caravans and have also room for touring caravans and motor homes. Subscribe to a magazine ... they have lists of sites (or just buy the latest magazine from Smiths).

Kent is big and varied, Sussex again has some great places, not as big, but still good.

It is worth joining sites like this one.. if you like it why not pay the £10 and become a member.. it will be the best £10 you will ever spend as a motor home owner.

Ask as many questions as you like, always someone that can help and come up with an answer.

Crowbrough East Sussex on the Kent boarder has a great site operated by the CCC and is a short distance for Tunbridge Wells which is an old town with a fair bit to see. or go to Brighton, another club site there very near the Marina... How about the cliff tops at Folkestone? ... just ideas.

Bob, Sue and Ezzie the St Bernard:thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
There are a couple of sites near us, if you call in the shop, staff will advise you, sorry I cant remember the excact directions.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

Welcome to MH Fun

You seem to be going about this in the correct way, by hiring a large motorhome you will get an idea on using a large motorhome, and what you can do without, or not.

Next is to look at as many motorhomes as possible, don't just look sit in, or as kids would play house this will help you decide.

I have always thought you will know your motorhome when you see it, don't rush into making a choice. many say it takes about three goes to find the correct one so you have been warned, we have always been lucky hope you are also.

Last edited:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi

I have always thought you will know your motorhome when you see it, don't rush into making a choice. many say it takes about three goes to find the correct one so you have been warned, we have always been lucky hope you are also.

I totally agree with that-but. there's always a 'but' Our current van we bought that way-it has been fine for 3 yrs of touring France,Spain and Portugal.Staying 1 night here 1 night there etc,but whilst staying for a month at Marjal we feel we need a larger van,our needs have changed because what we do has changed.We are going to Peterborough to find a 'Tardis'-an elastic sided van that can do it all ::bigsmile:

Mike.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hi and welcome to Fun.
There was a member on here who has a site on Kent. I remember it because it's particularly dog friendly. They have a couple of dog kennels & runs where you can leave your dog if you want to go out for the day.
I'll look for the details.

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
I've not found a dog unfriendly site yet! Everywhere welcomes dogs as they'd lose half their business if they didn't :roflmto:

I would recommend that you stay for starters on a larger site as it's amazing what silly things catch you out at first and you may have to get help.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Welcome to Fun, enjoy looking around and picking your new Motor home, a brilliant hobby/way of life, ask as many questions as you like thats what fun is all about :welcomefunster:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
If you look through the books CC club and CCC club books you will find plenty of dog free sites, we always cross them off our list, If Susie is not welcome,they wont get our business, they are obliterated from the book by scribbling them off....
I know some sites cannot accept them if they have animals roaming and that is acceptable.
Some dogs you cannot trust around sheep or chickens and the like.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back