Hi All (1 Viewer)

flyingroedeer

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Funster No
New To The Community
The Wife Has just retired after working for the LANCASHIRE FIRE & RESCUE SERVICE
for 43 years. She has always has wanted a motorhome and having two large labrador dogs wanted to be able to take them with us . So after some thought Have dicided on an A class American RV. I am hoping there are a few of you Guys & Gals that can give us pointers on their experience with this type of Rig?

Mike & Aileen

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Hello and welcome!!! ::bigsmile:

An A Class RV......great choice :thumb:

Lots of folks on here have one, if your looking to buy there are a few for sale on here as well (scotjimland, a member on here is selling his!!) :winky:

Its a huge step so tread carefully and look at as many as you can find!:thumb:

Rainbowchaser

Free Member
Feb 27, 2010
Third rock from the sun
Funster No
MH
Err..A blue one
Exp
Hmnn...Quite a long time really...
Hi Mike & Aileen and welcome to the madhouse. :Smile:

Lots of useful info on here, just ask and all will be revealed.
happy trails

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
laneside

Hi Mike and Aileen

Welcome to what I think must be someone local to us.

We also have recently retired and bought a motorhome (not an RV)

You will never look back it is a great life, sit back and enjoy.

All the best Lynda and Alan

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hello Mike and Aileen, welcome to the happy travellers ::bigsmile: if you were not aware it may be worth a look at the sister site www.rvoc.co.uk , RV Owners Club lots of clever types on there as well :Cool:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
You must be rich !!!

Take a close look at petrol prices and your MPG...Then work out how much it will cost you to get to the south of France or even Portugal !!..You might just change your mind ! On a 4 week trip down that way you will probably do 3500 miles !!....:Doh: :cry: :thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the fun.
Space is not always a direct trade off for gas guzzling engines. can you really live with 8-10mpg and still go places at todays fuel prices? We travel with 2 med sized dogs until recently in a 21ft, now 23ft "A" class van. Think hard before going down the RV route, however if money is not a consideration. do get in touch with me as I need some, hee hee

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Take a close look at petrol prices and your MPG...Then work out how much it will cost you to get to the south of France or even Portugal !!..You might just change your mind ! On a 4 week trip down that way you will probably do 3500 miles !!....:Doh: :cry: :thumb:

Not as much as you might think !!!

3300 mile round trip to Algarve.

Diesel in Euro M Home at approx 24 mpg 1.20 p lt = £749

LPG in RV A Class at 10 mpg .56p lt = £841

LPG in RV B Class at 12 mpg .56p lt = £701

At worst £100 more for 3300 mile trip in A Class but probably cheaper in recent B Class RV. Tolls will cost a bit more but you can't beat the space and comfort of an RV. :thumb::thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Mike & Aileen :welcomefunster:

Can't help with RV just wanted to say good to have you with us.

Best of luck with whatever your choice is.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, Mike & Aileen, welcome to the fun, we have had rv's in the past but now have a 24' low profile c class. RV's are great if you have the space and can run it comfortably, but you can be compromised on some sites. We would have another if we won some money, but are quite happy with what we have at present.
Where abouts are you ? be nice to meet up sometime.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year

Can't agree with this. we have a V8 diesel that returns 20 mpg when fully loaded for 4 people at an average speed of 70 mph. We live in Hinckley and went to france on holiday for three weeks last year. we travelled to Pirbright to see my nephew pass out, and then travelled to the chunnel. From the chunnel we went to Paris for a few days, and then down to the French med (Agde) by way of the A75 which is over a mountain range. Whilst at the med we did our pottering around the local area. On the way back it was over the mountains again on the A75 to the Chunnel. We did this at an average speed of 70 mph and spent £570 on fuel.

My advice would be to buy a RV that is no longer then 30 ft with a slide to give you the ability to go anywhere and still have the space you want.
I will be upgrading ours because after one year of owning an RV I have learn't a huge amount, and now know what we want. We will be looking for a shorter RV around 25 ft but with one of those double beds that sits up in the roof, and hopefully with a slide. This way we have all the luxuary of a large RV but with the agility of a European motorhome.

Before buying, look around the inside of RV's to getan idea of all their is to offer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back