Smooth

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Just thought I should say hi. Just signed up and looking forward to getting help from all of you!!!!

My wife and I have finally decided to buy our first motorhome. That was the easy bit. The difficulty now seems to be which one?!?

Should I get advise in another thread or ask within this one, just to make a start?

Anyway, looking forward to chatting with you all and apologies now if I ask way too many and silly questions

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Welcome:)
I'm certain all your questions will be answered by these guys:cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

Smooth

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Well you asked for it lol.

We are looking to travel Europe next year (have previous camping history, but only in uk and a touring caravan).

Have a certain budget we can spend on MH but have no idea which models we should look out for.

The ones we have looked at already seem all to be either autotrail, swift and the bessacarr.

Any thoughts on the above?

Cheers

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Hello :welc:. Can't help with your question about the MH makes, never had any of those but my in-laws did have a Bessacarr some years back and it was very nice.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN, which motorhome you buy is all down to lay out. I would suggest that you try and see as many motorhomes as possible, and there is no such thing as a silly question. (y):welc:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Welcome to the Funsters, best site on the web.

Most of the time you will get 99.9% pi** takes to your posts but the advice when it comes is pure gold.

What we did was visit many sellers both trade and private and sit in the MoHo for a while, don't just stick your head in and dismiss them before sitting down.
We started looking for a fixed bed but changed our minds soon after to twins that can if we want change to a double.
When you have found the layout you want imagine staying in it for a week in wet weather, could you do it? Kitchen layout ok for SWMBO? Loo big enough?
When you have found the layout you love, that's when the trouble begins, now your looking at mechanicals, body condition, damp, yadda, yadda, yadda.
Good luck (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome! Jim, who runs this site has produced a book you might like to read: http://www.motorhome-buyers-guide.com
This will cover some of the main choices between different types of MH. . We have what's called a panel van conversion which at 20 foot long is big enough for us and we can take it more or less anywhere and it is easy to park. But if we wanted to use it in the alps in winter it wouldn't be the right MH, but for our travels it is perfect.
So my suggestion would be to work out how you are going to use it first as that is a major factor in your choice.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome to fun. I've never owned any of the makes you mention and I'm sure Swift and Bessacar are the same company with the Bessacar being higher spec.
The main think to look out for is damp not just on these makes but everyone as even the newest of MH can get damp. A lot will depend on the layout you want and the budget you have if your not sure about layout yet go and have a look at loads of different ones. A good idea would be to go to the show at the NEC this Feb I know it's all new models but it's a chance to sit in loads of MH on the same day in nice indoor conditions.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Mr Smooth.

Those makers you mentioned make good motorhomes but you can't really decide by makers name alone. Rather you should choose the best internal layout for you. Motorhomes are expensive and you should never rush into a sale. A good idea would be to visit a showBroken Link Removed and look inside as many as you can. Once you decide on a layout that will suit you.

By "layout" I mean the living arrangements and storage that will suit you; ie how many of you, how long your trips will be, and where. If you get the layout wrong you won't notice right away but you will regret it, so will your wallet. Get the layout right, then look for that layout in the best quality build with that layout that you can afford. See if you can get to the NEC next month, there is a massive motorhome show there, over a 1000 motorhomes all in one place, go and sit in all of them and you'll really get a feel for the layout you need

It can be a minefield, but not scary as long as you are well armed. I recommend you arm yourself with the book mentioned above ;)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
welcome.jpg

I would also add that you need to pay your Ā£10 sub (the best money you will ever spend) as until you become a full member you don't get the full functionality of the site. I have saved my subs many times over - and that is apart from the great advice and camaraderie with other funsters.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi and welcome to Fun :welc:

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
Welcome to the best motorhome forum and good luck with your research.
Our two previous motorhomes were Bessacarrs. Both were supplied new by Marquis Motorhomes Devon.
To be honest I wouldn't say a bad word about either of them. We did have a couple of issues relating to the Fiat Ducato base vehicles but with the help of an excellent dealer (Vospers Commercial at Plymouth) our problems were dealt with quickly and efficiently under the terms of the warranties.
Stef.

OP
OP
S

Smooth

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Thanks all for the comments and welcomes.

Glad you have nearly all mentioned the layouts as this is the one thing that we have changed our minds on 5 times already.

Will keep hunting

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hi & welcome :)

You've had caravans (as we have) so you sort of know what problems you may get re damp etc.
As already said, layout is key, but also do you know how many travel seats (with proper seat belts) you need as that may affect your choice (y)

Have fun, hope you find something soon :)

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Many "try before you buy" so hiring a few may be an idea, welcome, by the way.
Cheers, Dave(y)

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
:welc:Welcome Mr. Smooth. As others have said (not that I have much knowledge), in our case the internal layout was the main factor. We wanted a fixed bed, but when I saw those without there is so much more space... I didn't want to have to make my bed on a daily basis, so........... it boils down to many things.... budget (mainly), your needs and so on. I have to say, it would appear following many conversations with M.H. owners, the 1st was never their last. As a new owner I'm scared (can't afford another one !) so think about it CAREFULLY :Eeek::Eeek:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
hi there and welcome to MHF(y)
Brian & Jo

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hello from us two too. Plenty of advice on here.
As for you Motorhome choice.
Layout is king. Get it right first time and save yourself a fortune.
We did, cos we'd had caravans and knew what we wanted. Cooker and hob. Lounge space. To get your legs up and chill. Proper shower cubicle. Big fridge plenty storage .etcetcetc.
As bonus is a fully winterised van too. Especially if you want to use it all year round as we do.
We are downsizing now. To a two birth. Pvc ( panel van conversion) We can't find exactly what we want so we are doing our own. Our brand new peugot boxer has finally arrived. Let the conversion begin.
Our beloved Motorhome is for sale once we've had it valeted and a full service and hab check done. We're wanting around 25k

Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Hello and welcome my friend,
You certainly are going the right way about selecting the MH, I made mistakes at the beginning and was lucky it did not cost me a lot of dosh. Apart from buying the right lay out make sure you make the right deal and don't just fall for the sale chat, (Read below the review I gave Dolphin on this site) I have found that Sales staff can be knowing but also very deceptive.
This is the best Ā£10 you will spend during your M Homing, be lucky and enjoy yourselves.
David

" Having lived and worked abroad for the last 20 years it was always my intention to purchase a motor home on my return to the UK when I retired. I spent a lot of time and effort to find the right vehicle and eventually settled on a Devon Tempest, 2 years old and with 1500 miles on the clock. What I should have done was completed the purchase after the dealer Dolphin Motor homes had done the habitation check. my mistake!. The van was sent off to their Southampton branch for the habitation certificate to be issued and in my opinion that is what they did, issued the certificate, because they certainly DID NOT DO THE WORKS SATISFACTORY, the van was delivered to me with a faulty fresh water tank, waste water problem, toilet badly functioning and other jobs either done badly or not done at all.
The waste water tap was ceased and needed renewing the electrics on the fresh water system were faulty there was a bolt missing from the strike plate on the rear door the swivel seats would not swivel the radio and Sat nav system did not work along with other problems. All of these problems I was assured would be corrected but the van had to go back to Southampton as the Iford branch only has a valeting bay and not a mechanics workshop, image my surprise 3 days later when I phoned Southampton to be told ā€œNOā€ we do not have a bay to lift the vans and our man has taken his tools to Iford to carry out the faults there, (I assume laying on his back on the floor)
The offending problems were all done bar the radio/sat nav which apparently 3 people had tried to correct, the main dealer had been contacted , who was not prepared to give free advice and eventually the MD fiddled with the system (his words not mine) and after 15 minutes did manage to solve part of the problem. I have solved the remaining fault with a friend. I now intend to have the gas check done by an independent engineer All of the running about has been at my expense and I feel that the company had no interest what so ever after my monies had been banked..
I started by explaining that I had been abroad for twenty years and am aware that the UK is named RIP OFF BRITAIN; service like this only adds fuel to the fire. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back