Hi all

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Smooth, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Smooth

Smooth Read Only Funster

Just thought I should say hi. Just signed up and looking forward to getting help from all of you!!!!

My wife and I have finally decided to buy our first motorhome. That was the easy bit. The difficulty now seems to be which one?!?

Should I get advise in another thread or ask within this one, just to make a start?

Anyway, looking forward to chatting with you all and apologies now if I ask way too many and silly questions

• Like Like x 1
  2. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

welcome......just fire away!:)

3. Charlie - Minton

Charlie - Minton Funster

Welcome:)
    I'm certain all your questions will be answered by these guys:cool:

4. Smooth

Smooth Read Only Funster

Well you asked for it lol.

We are looking to travel Europe next year (have previous camping history, but only in uk and a touring caravan).

Have a certain budget we can spend on MH but have no idea which models we should look out for.

The ones we have looked at already seem all to be either autotrail, swift and the bessacarr.

Any thoughts on the above?

Cheers

5. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Hello :welc:. Can't help with your question about the MH makes, never had any of those but my in-laws did have a Bessacarr some years back and it was very nice.

6. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

Hi and welcome to FUN, which motorhome you buy is all down to lay out. I would suggest that you try and see as many motorhomes as possible, and there is no such thing as a silly question. (y):welc:

7. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Welcome to the Funsters, best site on the web.

Most of the time you will get 99.9% pi** takes to your posts but the advice when it comes is pure gold.

What we did was visit many sellers both trade and private and sit in the MoHo for a while, don't just stick your head in and dismiss them before sitting down.
    We started looking for a fixed bed but changed our minds soon after to twins that can if we want change to a double.
    When you have found the layout you want imagine staying in it for a week in wet weather, could you do it? Kitchen layout ok for SWMBO? Loo big enough?
    When you have found the layout you love, that's when the trouble begins, now your looking at mechanicals, body condition, damp, yadda, yadda, yadda.
    Good luck (y)

• Like Like x 1
  8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Welcome! Jim, who runs this site has produced a book you might like to read: http://www.motorhome-buyers-guide.com
    This will cover some of the main choices between different types of MH. . We have what's called a panel van conversion which at 20 foot long is big enough for us and we can take it more or less anywhere and it is easy to park. But if we wanted to use it in the alps in winter it wouldn't be the right MH, but for our travels it is perfect.
    So my suggestion would be to work out how you are going to use it first as that is a major factor in your choice.

9. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi and welcome to fun. I've never owned any of the makes you mention and I'm sure Swift and Bessacar are the same company with the Bessacar being higher spec.
    The main think to look out for is damp not just on these makes but everyone as even the newest of MH can get damp. A lot will depend on the layout you want and the budget you have if your not sure about layout yet go and have a look at loads of different ones. A good idea would be to go to the show at the NEC this Feb I know it's all new models but it's a chance to sit in loads of MH on the same day in nice indoor conditions.

10. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Mr Smooth.

Those makers you mentioned make good motorhomes but you can't really decide by makers name alone. Rather you should choose the best internal layout for you. Motorhomes are expensive and you should never rush into a sale. A good idea would be to visit a show and look inside as many as you can. Once you decide on a layout that will suit you.

By "layout" I mean the living arrangements and storage that will suit you; ie how many of you, how long your trips will be, and where. If you get the layout wrong you won't notice right away but you will regret it, so will your wallet. Get the layout right, then look for that layout in the best quality build with that layout that you can afford. See if you can get to the NEC next month, there is a massive motorhome show there, over a 1000 motorhomes all in one place, go and sit in all of them and you'll really get a feel for the layout you need

It can be a minefield, but not scary as long as you are well armed. I recommend you arm yourself with the book mentioned above ;)

11. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

welcome.jpg

I would also add that you need to pay your £10 sub (the best money you will ever spend) as until you become a full member you don't get the full functionality of the site. I have saved my subs many times over - and that is apart from the great advice and camaraderie with other funsters.

12. Baycott

Baycott Funster

Hi and welcome to Fun :welc:

13. StefAndDi

StefAndDi

Welcome to the best motorhome forum and good luck with your research.
    Our two previous motorhomes were Bessacarrs. Both were supplied new by Marquis Motorhomes Devon.
    To be honest I wouldn't say a bad word about either of them. We did have a couple of issues relating to the Fiat Ducato base vehicles but with the help of an excellent dealer (Vospers Commercial at Plymouth) our problems were dealt with quickly and efficiently under the terms of the warranties.
    Stef.

14. chrisboyo

chrisboyo Funster

15. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Hello and [​IMG] :)

16. joncris

joncris Read Only Funster

Hi and :welc:Take your time selecting the MH make sure its right for you:clap2:

17. Smooth

Smooth Read Only Funster

Thanks all for the comments and welcomes.

Glad you have nearly all mentioned the layouts as this is the one thing that we have changed our minds on 5 times already.

Will keep hunting

18. Momo

Momo Funster

Hi Smooth and welcome to the Fun!(y):welc:

19. Debs

Debs Funster

Hi & welcome :)

You've had caravans (as we have) so you sort of know what problems you may get re damp etc.
    As already said, layout is key, but also do you know how many travel seats (with proper seat belts) you need as that may affect your choice (y)

Have fun, hope you find something soon :)

20. davejen

davejen Funster

Many "try before you buy" so hiring a few may be an idea, welcome, by the way.
    Cheers, Dave(y)