hi all i`m in trouble big time

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by plumbersback, Jul 4, 2011.

1. plumbersback

plumbersback Read Only Funster

hi there i brought a kontiki 1989 about 3 weeks ago and its very very poorly.

the back window was leaking when i looked all the wall board has gone took it of and the battrerns have gone well just a cupple.

but what i need help with is the wall cupboards how can i get them of as i`m going all the way with it cheers all from a broken harted plumber

2. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

speak to your local council Trading Standards Team you may be able to get your money back.

Sorry cant help you on the technical bits

3. plumbersback

it was a private sale

4. artona

artona

Welcome to the forum. The cupboards must be screwed to the wal. Do they have false backs (look inside) hiding the screws

stew

5. buttons

buttons Funster

Sorry not good news, that particular vintage the dealers use to call them Konleakies as apposed to kontikis. The chances are there could be a lot more rot around. :cry:

6. Gran & Rog

Gran & Rog Funster

I am so sorry to hear of your troubles, we ourselves are having big big troubles with our 5th wheel trailer.

We bought from what we thought were reputable Company but found out quite the opposite!!:Angry:

Good luck

7. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

Hi

Join

swift-talk.co.uk and ask away for the Swift guys Andy, Ash and others to answer

they I am sure will be able to help you

good luck

Steve

8. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

I would still have a go, I am sure he new what he was selling, although I guess it does depend what you paid and what was said.

Maybe Bob (sloberdobabob) could give you some soud advice.

Good luck.

All the best Rick

9. Mavis

Mavis Funster

Put a damp meter on it and check just how much has soaked in --how big an area as my friends Highwayman had the same problem and it ended up that half the m/Home had to have all the wood replaced in the back half. very costly

10. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

11. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Have a look at this web site..... http://www.customcampersuk.co.uk/8.html ..contact them and have a word with them......they seem to restore older motorhomes....maybe a lot better than what you may achieve as they know what to remove and replace and how..:Eeek:

just a thought :thumb:

12. artona

artona

Can I ask how much you paid for the kontiki? I would love to buy a rotten one, at the right price, strip it out, insulate it correctly and rebuild the interior

stew

13. plumbersback

thanks to everyone who replied

hi there again thanks to everyone who replied. i had a nose around the web on law and there not alot you can do it cost me five grand but private sales as not well backed up by law .
    you have a recall if the person lied to you but then it your word against theres.

never mind five years of saving if i find anything out about theses vans i`ll let people know cheers all

14. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

Different but similar, our first RV was a '77 C class and similarly the rear window leaked, and moved in the hole. We stripped out the window and internal board and found the frame rotten so basically cut back to good reinstated, lots of fun planning down wood to the right size and rebuilt. It was actually pretty straight forward just a question of working through. One fundamental issue was matching the internal board which was never going to happen so we got close with some 4mm ply and wood stain, really didn't look bad after and frankly I'm no carpenter, getting better though:thumb:

That wasn't the only repair mind you but as the base was solid it was fun to sort and taught us about MHs, well specifically RVs but in essence they are very similar really. As others have said there are related web sites and also if memory serves O'Learys, Hull I think do alot of MH build materials, wall boards was what was crossing my mind, often crop up with the self builders.

Good luck:thumb:

15. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi and welcome:thumb:I am a self builder and have done the job you are about to undertake on a van.Let ma start by saying it took about £2500 in new materials but that included new seat coverings etc.We had to put on a new roof :BigGrin: which with the Kontiki you will not have to :thumb:We ended up ripping out the full interior and replacing several batons,and all the wall boards/interior.I could have done it on the cheap but knew what we were buying :Doh::Eeek: and that we were keeping it for a good bit.The work took 2 of us about 3 weeks (15 days) but in the end we had a completely refurbished interior. good luck and ask away :thumb:
    terry

16. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Ok , so you have a lemon, but it's not terminal .. if the rest of the van is sound then it is well worth refurbishing .. and if you DIY it won't cost a fortune..

You are a tradesman, so you have basic hand tool skills .. and that's all you need to strip out and repair.. I have repaired several vans with damp, it's not difficult , just time consuming ..

Start as you have said by removing the cupboards, then remove the wall panel(s) try not to mangle them, they can be used as a template when cutting the new ones.

Remove the window.. and all of the wall insulation.

Measure the section of the rotten timbers and source new pressure treated wood from a timber merchant ..

You will need waterproof wood glue and either plated or brass screws..

Don't rush in and rip out all the rotten.. remove a couple or three pieces at a time and replace .. Replace the insulation, buy new if the old was damp or mouldy.

Cut to size and install the wall panels using the old ones as templates, a jigsaw is very useful for this task

Replace the window and seal using Car-a-seal mastic ( not silicone sealer) from any caravan dealers.

Lastly the cupboards ...

Sit back and admire your handywork .. you will have saved many thousands of pounds and KNOW it's been done properly ..

as mentioned, source panelling from O'Learys on line store..

good luck and if you get stuck just shout out

17. plumbersback

nice people on here

thank you all for advice well slevees up and here i go think i`ll go to church first going to need the help:cry::Rofl1:

18. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

Here's one I did earlier:

[​IMG]

As Jim says above, it isn't difficult, just time-consuming.

Good Luck :thumb:

19. Silkcut1105

Silkcut1105 Funster Life Member

leaky kontiki

hi you are able to get new wall boards from olearys motorhomes and most other bits you require ...hope this helps .ive had a simular problem with my van
    [roof leaking}