Hi all From sunny Fleetwood in Lancs!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Greg Ledder, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Greg Ledder

Greg Ledder Read Only Funster

Eh up ye lot!
    Just thought I'd say hello - hope life is treating you all kindly!
    My family and I currently live on a big old ex fishing boat in Fleetwood, Lancs, which we are slowly but surely converting to a cruising houseboat - it's definately a work in progress but I love the life.
    However, my other half and our daughter aren't 100% convinced that a life on the ocean wave is for them so since we would really love to travel (a lot!) and I have been obsessed with campers / motorhomes for as long as I can remember,we are thinking very seriously about selling the boat to finance the big adventure in a few years time (when our daughter has flown the nest) and becoming full-timers.
    This time scale gives us plenty of time to have an in-depth look at all aspects of Full-timing and hopefully we'll have a good idea of what we're getting ourselves in to when the time comes. Personally,I'd go for it tomorrow if circumstances allowed as we have always wanted to to this at some point but I will just have to curb my almost unbearable excitement and be patient......damn it!

Anyway,nice to meet you all and I look forward to hearing from you.
    Cheers,
    Greg.:Smile:

2. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Eh up Greg lad

:welcome:Welcome to MHFun :thumb:

Lots of friendly folk on here :BigGrin:, just ask away and your questions will hopefully be answered. :Smile:

3. roadtraveller

roadtraveller Read Only Funster

Hi Greg and welcome. :BigGrin: Remember you never grow old gracefully, but grow old disgracefully, :thumb: what do you think of my D.I.Y. Van? :Cool:

4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Greg, there are lots of full-timers here, a friendly knowledgeable bunch that I am sure will answer any question that might arise during your plan making. Meanwhile welcome to the fun:thumb::thumb:

5. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Welcome folks, I have a friend who lives in Fleetwood so been there a few times :thumb:

6. RuthRv

RuthRv Read Only Funster

Hi a warm welcome from me too , hope all your plans come to fruition soon:Smile:

ruth

7. owlgirl

owlgirl Read Only Funster

Welcome, whatever you do just enjoy your life

8. Greg Ledder

Hi roadtraveller! That is some van matey - that's what you call a mobile home and I've got to got to get me one of those.....!!:thumb: D'you think it would be road legal?

Thanks to all for the warm welcome - hopefully we'll get to meet some of you a little further down the line!:Smile:

9. buccaneer

buccaneer Read Only Funster

Welcome Greg,I bought a new motorhome last year but missed having a boat so recently boat a Freeman 24.
    I live just north of Preston where do you moor you boat and where are you going to sail it.

10. Greg Ledder

Hi there and thanks for the welcome!
    Our boat is moored in Fleetwood Docks on a permenant basis but we hope to take her out to sea once the renovation is complete - it would be nice to visit the Isle of Man as she was registered in Peel when she was a trawler.:Smile:

11. buccaneer

buccaneer Read Only Funster

Whats your boat called? I go to Fleetwood a few time each year,any good chandler shops I want somt brown canvass to make window screen to match my new canopy.
    I bought latest boat from windermere currently in a farmers barn while I do some jobs over winter it will most probaly go on the Lancaster canal on a mooring I have retained. or maybe back on windermere.
    Have you seen a couplt of resting tatty trailers at Glasson dock?

12. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

I used to have a Fairline Targa Tri cab 33 boat and used to use it every weekend during the summer but came out of the water for the winter.

If it hadn't been for my work commitments at the time (mainly to pay the upkeep and mooring on the boat:Doh::Wink::Laughing: only joking:Wink:) would have loved to live on it.

Trouble with a boat is you only have the same places to travel to in my case as although the boat was more than up to any trip it's captain wasn't.

My RV gives me miles more freedom
    but boy did I used to love my flashy boat.

One downside was filling it with petrol in 1999 (yes petrol:Wink:) would be over £450 so god knows what it would be now:Doh::cry: but could afford it then:thumb:

Oh and BTW welcome to fun:thumb:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  13. tyrangie1

tyrangie1 Read Only Funster

Hi Greg

Hi Greg
    We are soon going to be doing the same we have bought an american rv and are hopefully going travelling next year. We have been working towards this for the last three years our kids have their own lives now and as much as i will miss them we can't wait to get going. So i hope all goes well for you and you live your dream. As i always say to my other half your a long time dead so do what you want today don't wait for tomorrow if it's possible.
    Good Luck in your venture.
    Angie

14. Greg Ledder

The boat used to be called 'Patricia campbell' but we re named her 'Andromeda'.
    I have seen the Ex trawlers at Glasson - it's very nice up there. Ours is quite tatty at the moment but will be nice when finished.
    There is a very good Chandlers in Fleetwood called 'The Yatch shop' - (very original!) which is just off the roundabout near Asda.:Smile:

15. Greg Ledder

Hi Angie,
    Many thanks! We have only recently taken the decision to go for it but like you we will have to take the time to put the plan into action.
    You're dead right about life though - you only get the one chance so you have to do these things or spend the rest of your days thinking 'what if......?'
    Hope all goes to plan for you and you never know - we may meet somewhere along the way!
    Greg. :Smile: