Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Now there'a a picture to dream of - you in your best leathers, missus on the pillion and a dog in each pannier - oh yes!

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
Panniers are no good for those brutes,John would need a sidecar either side of the bike. Wonder what class of license you'd need for that!!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Well just looking found this totally confusing

D1 21*

Vehicles with between nine and sixteen passenger seats with a trailer up to 750kg

D1+E 21*

Combinations of vehicles where the towing vehicle is in subcategory D1 and its trailer has a MAM of over 750kg, provided that the MAM of the combination thus formed does not exceed 12000kg, and the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle

So you can drive a 12000KG combination of bus but not a vehicle with C1+E over 8250KG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 24, 2007
Sunny South Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
5 years
Okay, Euroanchor - you are almost there now.....

If a coach driver has to take a large vehicle test - in which vehicle does he take it - an HGV or a coach?

If he takes it in a coach - why? Because that coach is suited for his job and therefore the test is designed for his vehicle. What would be the sense in him taking his coach test in an HGV?

You have just proved my point :thumb:

Why should I have to take a test in an HGV when I am not ever going to drive an HGV?

Why can't I take my large vehicle licence in my RV - a test which is specially designed for my vehicle - in exactly the same way that a coach driver takes his test in his coach.

End of story, I think

So from your attempt at sarcasm, I deduce that your main aim in this discussion is to get one over me and prove me wrong, how commendable and helpful.I suggest you take a look at what you have written and see how misinformed and petty it sounds.

Why does a coach driver take his test in a coach ? do you really need that explaining to you again (see my earlier post regarding the regulations concerning Class D or D1 ), it relates to the carrying of passengers, nothing to do with weight. The Class D test has sections relating to passengers, the goods vehicle test does not.

As I said, there will always be people like yourself who will make an effort to make others look small in company, or dismiss their views because they conflict with yours . This being the case, I shall leave you to keep convincing each other that you are special because you drive a converted bus.

I have a class 1 HGV, a CPC, my own operators licence and run my own business, this all means I have to take a bit more notice of the ever changing laws of the road, than the average driver,but obviously, because I'm not George Telford or because I hav'nt made 1000s of posts on here, I know nothing.

I really hope nobody gets convicted for any driving offence relating to vehicle weights, however, after experiencing the clicky and snidy remarks made to my posts, I am past caring.

The issue being discussed is whether or not you need a class c licence to drive a motor vehicle with a maximum permitted gross weight of 7500kgs or above.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
The issue being discussed is whether or not you need a class c licence to drive a motor vehicle with a maximum permitted gross weight of 7500kgs or above.

That is it exactly - if I need a Class C to drive my converted bus - why doesn't a coach driver need a class C to drive his motor vehicle.

Again, I ask you the same question - what part of the HGV test is relevant to my RV - on the same lines - as what part of the HGv is relevant to a coach driver's test? The HGV is not relevant to a coach driver nor is it relevant to an RV.

Sorry, Euroanchor, if you feel my response is not to your liking and if you cannot carry a debate or discussion witout getting personal, then perhaps you had not take part in it.

Last edited:

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I do have a degree of sympathy with you as I too felt put down in a different topic. However I don't think Moandick was trying to be sarcastic. It's very difficult to read emotion into an email and I do think he was trying to put a point over humorously. Please don't take it personally and do continue to post. Professional viewpoints are very welcome and their input tremendously valuable.

Regards
Doug

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Well just looking found this totally confusing

So you can drive a 12000KG combination of bus but not a vehicle with C1+E over 8250KG

looks top me like you can drive a 6001kg minibus with a 5999kg trailer but i could be wrong :RollEyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

problem is you can interpret the law as you feel fit but somewhere there will be a definition, its just no-one knows where it is.:Doh::ROFLMAO:

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
As this debate is getting a bit heated,i suggest we all retire to the Belly Locker for a good laugh.I.M.O. this matter will go on and on until the powers that be, decide which license is needed for a motorhome over 7.5 tonnes. :winky::thumb:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
If someone else is in the chair - then mine's a pint of bitter :beerchug: :drink:

Cheers, each and all for an interesting discussion - to which - as always on this subject - there is no clear cut answer - so let us hope that the RVDA, DVLA and whoever else is involved - gets it sorted before some poor 'beggar' gets killed.

Nov 24, 2007
Sunny South Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
5 years
That is it exactly - if I need a Class C to drive my converted bus - why doesn't a coach driver need a class C to drive his motor vehicle.

Again, I ask you the same question - what part of the HGV test is relevant to my RV - on the same lines - as what part of the HGv is relevant to a coach driver's test? The HGV is not relevant to a coach driver nor is it relevant to an RV.

Sorry, Euroanchor, if you feel my response is not to your liking and if you cannot carry a debate or discussion witout getting personal, then perhaps you had not take part in it.

It is not that I dislike your response, I didn't like the patronising way it was typed, and I certainly have not made it personal.

OK, I will answer each of your points in turn.
Firstly you should know that both Class C and D are classed as vocational licences

1... A coach driver doesn't need a Class C licence because he takes a Class D test, this is relevant for the type of work he will be undertaking in the vehicle designed for that purpose .

2...Neither a C or D licence is relevant to the opposite category due to the vocational requirements involved , eg the carrying of either goods or passengers.

3...Your RV is neither a goods vehicle or a PSV,(so reference to either in this discussion is irrelevant ,as is the continuing reference coach and lorry drivers not needing the others licence.) however, it is legally defined as a motor vehicle,it needs an mot,insurance and ved disc to be used on a public road and ( I am assuming ) is over 7500 kgs.Therefore a standard car licence does not allow you to drive a vehicle of that weight,

Purely as a matter of interest, are you only adamant on this issue because it is about oversize yank motors, or are you in the corner of all motorhomers, after all this is a motorhome forum is it not. I ask because if you passed your test after 1995,legally, you would be unable to drive some of the smaller motorhomes that weigh in at over 3500 kgs, or do you think that they also should not be covered by that ruling.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
You seem to be implying that I do not think people need to take a 'large vehicle licence' in order to drive a large vehicle - but I have stressed time and time again I would welcome taking a large vehicle licence/test if it was applicable to my vehicle!

I had to spend ÂŁ2000 obtaining my C+E in order to allow me to drive an RV - fine, I don't have a problem with that - my problem is and always has been - the C licence is the wrong licence for an RV - or any size motorhome, come to that.

I have been complaining for about 4 years now that the C Licence is the wrong licence - whether it be a vocational licence or whatever - and following on from that if the C licence is a vocational licence (which implies it to be biased toward HGV) - why do I need to take it in order to drive my motorhome - which as you have just said is neither a multi-passenger carrier or cargo carrier?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
That will do on this one now... until next time::bigsmile:

>>Thread Closed<<