Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Went to Carlisle this morning, came off southbound carriageway atM6 J42, as we reached the roundabout a "Currie European artic was coming toward us on our side of the road!!! I gesticulated to the driver that he was wrong, he just gave me a "thumbs up" and then carried on down the sliproad going North!
As soon as poss rang the police to tell them what had happened. Sure enough a few mins later a patrol car came steaming up London Rd to the M6.
Not heard anything on the news, anybody see it? it was about 10 am.
Cheers, Dave:(

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Are you sure you saw a driver, not just a passenger? - maybe it was part of this initiative..... :whistle:

Driverless lorries set for Cumbria trial
stream_img.jpg

Driverless lorries are set to be tested on a stretch of the M6 in CumbriaPhoto: Press Association

Driverless lorries are set to be tested on a stretch of the M6 in Cumbria as part of a government bid to improve to journeys.

According to reports, Chancellor George Osborne is expected to confirm funding for the initiative in his Budget next week with the M6 near Carlisle being used as a test location.

This proposed scheme would see the vehicles travel in a tightly-packed convoy designed to improve fuel consumption by reducing drag.

Steering, acceleration and braking of the road train will be controlled by a driver in the lead vehicle although the drones will have a driver in each cab as a safety precaution to regain control in the event of an emergency.

There are hopes that the technology could one day improve road safety.<

The DfT could not confirm the location of the test route or timetable and would not speculate on whether the research will receive funding in the Budget, although it said planning for trials was under way.

“New technology has the potential to bring major improvements to journeys and the UK is in a unique position to lead the way for the testing of connected and driverless vehicles. “We are planning trials of HGV platoons – which enable vehicles to move in a group so they use less fuel – and will be in a position to say more in due course.”

– DEPARTMENT FOR TRANSPORT SPOKESPERSON
Last updated Mon 7 Mar 2016

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Are you sure you saw a driver, not just a passenger? - maybe it was part of this initiative..... :whistle:

stream_img.jpg

Driverless lorries are set to be tested on a stretch of the M6 in CumbriaPhoto: Press Association

Driverless lorries are set to be tested on a stretch of the M6 in Cumbria as part of a government bid to improve to journeys.

According to reports, Chancellor George Osborne is expected to confirm funding for the initiative in his Budget next week with the M6 near Carlisle being used as a test location.

This proposed scheme would see the vehicles travel in a tightly-packed convoy designed to improve fuel consumption by reducing drag.

Steering, acceleration and braking of the road train will be controlled by a driver in the lead vehicle although the drones will have a driver in each cab as a safety precaution to regain control in the event of an emergency.

The DfT could not confirm the location of the test route or timetable and would not speculate on whether the research will receive funding in the Budget, although it said planning for trials was under way.

“New technology has the potential to bring major improvements to journeys and the UK is in a unique position to lead the way for the testing of connected and driverless vehicles. “We are planning trials of HGV platoons – which enable vehicles to move in a group so they use less fuel – and will be in a position to say more in due course.”

Just goes to show, no job is safe these days. :( Mind you the bonus will hopefully be a reduced amount of eastern European HGV driving numpties on the roads.(y)

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
A lot of Curries are european drivers, most are watching dvd's, same with Coulthards

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
A lot of Curries are european drivers, most are watching dvd's, same with Coulthards
Same on the autobahns in Germany, saw one watching a video with his feet up on the dashboard presumably on cruise control :doh:

OP
OP
davejen

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992

stream_img.jpg

If this was one of them I think the software needs an update!!
Cheers, Dave

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Talking of motorways.. There was an article somewhere the other day that mentioned 'smart motorways' and driving on them required a different skill set..
I have not been able to find any more info though..
Anyone any idea ??

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Oh dear. Am I glad that I have retired. I do not think I would like to have a driverless HGV behind me.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
So if they travel in 'close formation', what happens when I decide to over take the first one (ie the one at the rear) and then they won't let me back in the inside lane to take my exit some miles further on?

Or indeed want to get on the mway in the first place, are we now supposed to stop and wait till they've all gone past along the mway up each other's arses at the 'junction' off the entrance slip?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
No idea on the practicalities of it all, but we have just bought a new car for Bev that has the most amazing / scary cruise control I have ever used

Radar guided it totally controls the vehicle, right down to a stop at red traffic lights then back up to set speed when the traffic clears (actually just realised it wouldn't recognise the red light, the car in front stopped so we did) very scary to be behind the wheel steering only, it even applies a hold facility on a slope when stopped

Be warned Mercedes amongst others can already do this, but they do then leave a sensible distance between the front of your car and the next thing ahead (y)

possibly still enough for an audi or BM to squeeze into o_O

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Talking of motorways.. There was an article somewhere the other day that mentioned 'smart motorways' and driving on them required a different skill set..
I have not been able to find any more info though..
Anyone any idea ??
Looking at the M6 new smart bit around Birmingham, the new skill set might be, if you break down be prepared to leap out of your car into live traffic, and jump up the embankment like an Olympic athlete....... otherwise you are toast.

Last edited:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
No idea on the practicalities of it all, but we have just bought a new car for Bev that has the most amazing / scary cruise control I have ever used

Radar guided it totally controls the vehicle, right down to a stop at red traffic lights then back up to set speed when the traffic clears (actually just realised it wouldn't recognise the red light, the car in front stopped so we did) very scary to be behind the wheel steering only, it even applies a hold facility on a slope when stopped

Be warned Mercedes amongst others can already do this, but they do then leave a sensible distance between the front of your car and the next thing ahead (y)

Yes our Mercedes does this, its called radar guided cruise control. Its a very odd feeling.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years

The wife's car does this as well BUT when it brakes behind another vehicle and gets down to 20mph there is a beep and the braking ceases and you are on your own which concentrates the mind the first time it happens.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
So if they travel in 'close formation', what happens when I decide to over take the first one (ie the one at the rear) and then they won't let me back in the inside lane to take my exit some miles further on?

Or indeed want to get on the mway in the first place, are we now supposed to stop and wait till they've all gone past along the mway up each other's arses at the 'junction' off the entrance slip?
The system I have seen that they was trying out in Scandinavia had the trucks about 5 feet apart to reduce drag and increase fuel consumption. So no you're would now be able to cut in between them if it's like that, should think it would have signage on the last truck indicating the length. Not seen it in real life only pictures/ video of their trials.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

You are actually supposed to give way to existing traffic when you enter the Motorway so it really shouldnt matter if its 1 lorry or five.

Same thing exiting really - we will have to adapt our driving to the changing nature of the traffic - some people will have to adapt quite a lot IMHO.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The wife's car does this as well BUT when it brakes behind another vehicle and gets down to 20mph there is a beep and the braking ceases and you are on your own which concentrates the mind the first time it happens.

Handy if you are deaf.

The system I have seen that they was trying out in Scandinavia had the trucks about 5 feet apart to reduce drag and increase fuel consumption. So no you're would now be able to cut in between them if it's like that, should think it would have signage on the last truck indicating the length. Not seen it in real life only pictures/ video of their trials.

What happens with the "trucks from same business have to maintain a 100m (?) separation gap ?"
What happens when trucks have to maintain a 150m separation gap, 3 chevrons , through tunnels ? Legal requirement for all vehicles here .
Just a disaster waiting to happen. You'll have the hackers creating carnage by over riding the systems.

Deleted User

Nissan fitted them a while back to some of their Primera range but I think they dropped the idea.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Handy if you are deaf.

What happens with the "trucks from same business have to maintain a 100m (?) separation gap ?"
What happens when trucks have to maintain a 150m separation gap, 3 chevrons , through tunnels ? Legal requirement for all vehicles here .
Just a disaster waiting to happen. You'll have the hackers creating carnage by over riding the systems.
I only saw the trial I think it was Volvo. The laws etc I have no idea. Think their thinking is about 5 trucks in line leaving a dock for example. The first truck is in control and as they get near the destination the back ones peel off leaving just the front truck on its own. The other method they keep trying to get is a land train, an artic pulling 2 trailers at a time. This is used in Scandinavia already.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Couldn't resist, surprised nobody else got in first

Don't tell anyone but it's one of my favourite films of all time. Watched it loads of times and just watched it again over Christmas, how sad am I lol.

Shawn

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Had a similar experience with one on the M26 some time ago Latvian Reg in Curries colours. Spoke to Curries it transpires that they sub a lot of work to anyone who will run in their livery. Mine was on the phone for half an hour , watching dvd while trying to pass me !!

Not exactly good PR for Curries. Give them a wide berth , along with every other Johnny Foreigner who comes near you!!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Double towing is allowed in Most American States, but is often restricted in Urban Area`s. Piggy backing trucks is another way of moving up to 4 trucks between depots with just 1 or 2 Drivers. And the Australians have had "Land Trains" on transcontinental runs for Many Years. And Of Course we Have:-

Attachments

• IMG_1319.JPG
    IMG_1319.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 64
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Couldn't resist, surprised nobody else got in first

Hi.
LOVE the.......... "Black Legs"...... Sneaking out the exhausts now and again.....POWER ON!!! 10/4
Tea Bag

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Double towing is allowed in Most American States, but is often restricted in Urban Area`s. Piggy backing trucks is another way of moving up to 4 trucks between depots with just 1 or 2 Drivers. And the Australians have had "Land Trains" on transcontinental runs for Many Years. And Of Course we Have:-
Looks like frog1 on his way down to spain for the free winter parking ;)[/QUOTE]

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
The same one that's blocked the Forth Road Bridge, perhaps?
Yes I just noticed that too :D2 :eek: o_O

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The BBC News at 6pm, appeared to imply that the driver had crossed AFTER the closure sign was put up?. One possible issue, could be the fact that Currie are currently employing a large number of "Non UK" contract drivers, with questionable command of the (UK) language?.

Wrong side of the road?. Hmm, Not sure, they are definitely doing some SERIOUS welding work on the dividing barriers?. You could see the weld arc on the news film!.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
You are actually supposed to give way to existing traffic when you enter the Motorway so it really shouldnt matter if its 1 lorry or five.

Same thing exiting really - we will have to adapt our driving to the changing nature of the traffic - some people will have to adapt quite a lot IMHO.

Where we live in France we are 3 Kms from the N10 between Poitiers and Angouleme,we see 30,000 trucks some days traveling up and down as the main non toll road this side of France to Spain.
Frequently joining this road and with a long slip road where in the car you can reach 90 kph you will not find a safe gap to get between the trucks traveling a metre or so apart.They will not ease off for long enough for you to safely access the road,yes I know they don't need to but,what can you do.Stop dead at the end of the onslip?
I was in the outside lane at Angouleme passing a line of 80 kph trucks so close it IS scary when suddenly a police Gendarme on a motorcycle appeared in my mirror and rebuked me for not forcing my way between the trucks quickly enough.So maybe there is a solution to this problem?
I was an HGV driver all over Europe for many years,glad I am not now,I can see their frustration,mile upon mile of no overtaking for over 3.5 tonnes.
But I can't see an answer,can you?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back