Hey Everybody (1 Viewer)

caplee

Free Member
Jul 3, 2010
Funster No
Hi Everybody,

Just found this fab forum and hoping to get lots of advice from it. My husband and I are currently living in Germany (forces) and are THINKING about getting a first motorhome. Not sure whether to buy new (as we can buy tax free) or go for second hand........ Also we only need a four berth but seems a six berth wouldn't be too much more expensive. Not sure how much these things hold their value and how easy they are to sell on so hope you guys/girls can give me as much info as possible.

If we were to buy new, I am looking at a good value one that isn't going to break the bank (too much).

Leanne x

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Welcome to the madhouse.

It would be no good me offering advice as I have only been MHing for a year myself.

But this forum is fantastic::bigsmile:

OP
OP
C

caplee

Free Member
Jul 3, 2010
Funster No
I am just so undecided. I know it would be a great adventure packing up every weekend but I'm not overly convinced on the price of the adventure! I don't think I would have the confidence to drive it so that would be left to hubby.......... so many things running through my mind haha.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Hi Leeanne and welcome. We had a Hymer last year which was very solid, 6 berth and 19' long and a 1.9 engine. For one thing, Hymers don't always have an oven (which I wanted), no need for 6 berth and it would be too crowded anyway and a 1.9 engine wasn't powerful enough for me. Having said that, it was a tough old boy. The main thing is to look for comfort I think. (Now we have a U shaped lounge). Other people will be able to give you lots of advice, but I just love going away in our MH. Once we are at home a week I start to get itchy feet.
Ivy

carl65

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
North Shields Tyne & Wear
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
:welcomefunster: hello i have been around for about a year now love it we have a young family the only advise i could offer is look in as many as possible or hire (try before you buy) thats how we did it and ended up with our van after hireing same model, will say german makes haver the edge of uk models we i think any way.

good luck with your hunt !!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well you can come unstuck if you don't ask for instance ours is sold as a 4 berth in that you can convert the lounge area to a double or 2 singles and/or sleep in the over-cab double. However ours has only 2 seat belts so we can't carry more than 2 people - him that drives and her that navigates LOL

Suits us fine but wouldn't suit you presumably if you need the 4 berths I guess you probably have some children you like to take with you? LOL

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Leanne

If you have a good look around you will see that motorhomes compared to many other vehicles are much better at maintaining a high resale value.

That doesn't apply to new MH though. If you buy from new and then sell within 3 years you will take quite a big hit, but that's only if you sell it, so make sure you buy the perfect (for you) motorhome and keep it.

Meanwhile welcome to the fun:thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and welcome,
If i was you i would look at motorhomes around 2 or 3 years old, they havent done much milage as a rule and are still like new inside as jim said if you buy new and dont like it you do loose a lot of pennies just like buying a new car they loose a fair amount off the price you pay new the minute they hit the road. A nearly new one is a much better option also make sure if you have children that the motorhome has enough seatbelts to accomodate them - this to some extent might dictate the layout available to you

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back