bluebirdman

Free Member
Sep 24, 2012
ireland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
:whatthe: hey all, just new to this site, i have a 1989 fiat ducato elddis 300special, and have been motoring away for thr last few years with no problems.#
the camper wouldnt start this morning and i jumped started it from the car the engine turned a few times and went dead, all lights on dash are dead now
i have looked at the fuse box in the glove box and the little one just above the battery changed a few blown ones and still no power at ignition any help as to how i can get motoring again thanks

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and welcome

I have used friend google and come up with this site which might give you an answer if you post the question on there.

Link Removed

Would seem another camper on there had probs with copper shavings in the steering column which stopped it getting power to ignition

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Welcome to Fun...

I am with DesRes on this one.

When you say "wouldn't start"...

... did the engine turn over but not start...

... did the engine struggle to turn over...

... did nothing happen at all when you tried to start?

When you "jumped" it did the engine turn over easily or was it sluggish?

Answers to the above will help with remote diagnosis but if I had to guess I would say the battery has past on!

JJ :Cool:

JJ

OP
OP
B

bluebirdman

Free Member
Sep 24, 2012
ireland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
thanks all for the reply..
the engine was sluggishly turning over and didnt start. then there was no response from the key turning of the ignition. no lights on in the:cry::Doh: dash.
i replaced a few blown fuses but still no life in camper . not even hazard lights.. is there main fuses somewhere in the engine bay ??

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
wont start

Hi, The first thing to check is the battery. It can just get a cell gone in an instant after standing, and if you have so little power from the main battery, then you wont get enough power from a jump battery. Take off the battery and give it a long slow charge, like 3 or 4 amps for a couple of days, then try it again. If its still not cranking, of just clicking, thats possibly your problem. After that its down to checking the relays, and saddest of all, the starter. Modern cars often have the denso starter, which is renowned for solenoid connectors fuzzing up after standing, and also for brushes in the motor to fail due to copper corrosion coating their surfaces. While these parts are available quite cheaply on ebay etc, you need some mechanical/electrical knowledge to fit them, tho often they can be cleaned up as I have just had to do on one of my vehicles that has been stood a while.

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Your van is an elderly girl, any idea how old the battery is?
I wouldn't mess around, your friendly battery supplier may be able to check it's capacity.
Just fit a new one and be done...:thumb:

OP
OP
B

bluebirdman

Free Member
Sep 24, 2012
ireland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
tried a new battery, not as much as a light on in the dash ,... i live in ireland and the camper did a 2000 mile trip to france in 2011 so even tho its 1989 it was running sweet untill i left it for bout 12 weeks ... thanks for all replies

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as a starting point, you have jump leads so put one from the battery neg terminal to a good clean earth point on the engine and another from the engine to a good clean earth on the body then try starting it.

if it doesn't do anything that should eliminate earth problems.
if it does start that points to a bad/none existent earth

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back