Here's a word of advice........ (1 Viewer)

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
That road certainly has it all - sheer drops, oncoming traffic, hairpin bends, overhanging rock - well done for managing it.

I noticed though that there were several houses and businesses along the route, I suppose they must have some way of getting stuff delivered etc, then there's the dustman of course.

Paul

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
That road certainly has it all - sheer drops, oncoming traffic, hairpin bends, overhanging rock - well done for managing it.

I noticed though that there were several houses and businesses along the route, I suppose they must have some way of getting stuff delivered etc, then there's the dustman of course.

Paul

They go as far as they can to do whatever then turn and go down. There are places to turn at the inhabited sections

Splugenpass 039.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Just out of interest were you using a Satnav designed for motorhomes or just the normal car type?

We went over the Pyranees last xmas and that was very scary with 6ft of snow either side of us and a lot of the road, luckily we didnt hit it till we started going down. If it had been going up there would be no way we would of got through. Apparently my wife said there was lovely views, didnt get to see them as was just trying to keep the blinking thing straight whilst towing a bike as well :) . Lesson learnt though, this year miss France and head straight to Santander via Ferry :)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Was using standard tom-tom 1005 which had been fine. I don't obey satnav promps unless I am happy with what I can see ahead. The road to the inhabited areas is fine and it's only when you pass these that it's more difficult. But then of course you are confronted with the pass quite suddenly. Actually I only needed to shunt around two very very tight bends, I defy anyone driving a Motorhome to go round those in one go. Going down was easier, no bends which needed shunting around and stunning views to the bottom.

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
Was using standard tom-tom 1005 which had been fine. I don't obey satnav promps unless I am happy with what I can see ahead. The road to the inhabited areas is fine and it's only when you pass these that it's more difficult. But then of course you are confronted with the pass quite suddenly. Actually I only needed to shunt around two very very tight bends, I defy anyone driving a Motorhome to go round those in one go. Going down was easier, no bends which needed shunting around and stunning views to the bottom.

Agree with the shunting part! My MH is a tag axle and despite my correct positioning on the road, I had to shunt it around at least 10 of the hairpins on the way down. Funny enough I found it easier going up than down. The biggest problem on the way down was the camber on the road right at the hairpin. I had to go really slowly to avoid grounding the back.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
May I suggest without been rude ------------------ common sense!

colyboy

Bobtbadger

Free Member
Nov 5, 2012
Dunstable
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, TAG Axle
Exp
Since 2011
I'm going to try and plan a route on my Motorhome specific nav that includes the pass and see if it warms me off or not........

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Never mind the bends what about the height of some of those tunnels! Under 3M with no turning place!!!

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
i went up a hill in Devon last week marked not suitable for caravans i thought it was just because it was narrow,how wrong i was did the last bit in first gear with black smoke filling the road behind me.

Nobby sorry to hijack thread / change subject but the bike in your avater 82/83 cr 125 ?

nobby &noo

Free Member
Jun 12, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
burstner t star 695
Exp
since 2010
Nobby sorry to hijack thread / change subject but the bike in your avater 82/83 cr 125 ?
yes it is a 1983 cr125 i do the Partridge Ventilation pre83 british championship on it

Attachments

• wine 1241.JPG
    wine 1241.JPG
    248.3 KB · Views: 7
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
bit of advice needed do you think I would need snow chanes in the winter there :Eeek:
bill

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Oooooooo, I want to ride that on the motorbike, right now!! Mountain passes with switchback hairpins are fantastic. I'd head for that one deliberately in the MH just for the fun, but then again I haven't got a whacking great tag axle van like you have! I can well understand that taking something that long round those bends would be "interesting".

Sheep and mountain tunnels are never great - bloody lethal in summer, coming out of bright sunshine into a dark tunnel on a bike, wearing sunglasses (because you need them for the non-tunnel sections), only to find sheep getting out of the sun.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back