Here we go!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Cilfan, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Cilfan

Cilfan Funster

Hi, my name's Dave from North Wales. I've had an on/off desire to own a MH for many years - usually on when I was short of money and off when I wasn't...sod's law I suppose. That desire was reignited a couple of years ago when my wife (Sue) and I borrowed a friends new 6 berth CB and spent a very enjoyable 10 days touring the Scottish highlands.

Sue and I are both in our 60's and she's a full time wheelchair user. That latter factor always presents a challenge when planning a break away - especially if you prefer little B&B's or cosy cottages to cloned (characterless) hotels. So the freedom that the MH offered was like a breath of fresh air and quickly convinced us that we've just gotta get one.

Ah, if only it were a case of popping into a dealer and saying "We'll have that one"! But (as usual), there's always a spanner in the works - in this case a bloody great monkey wrench - money....or rather a lack of.

So I'm here in a hope of getting a few pointers as to how to put the show on the road for a sensible budget.

Looking forward to picking your brains in future threads.

Cheers

Dave

2. The Dude

The Dude Funster

welcome animated smiley.gif

3. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

Hi and welcome to FUN. (y)

4. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

:hiya2: & :welcome3::):)

5. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Welcome ... why don't you pop south to the Pembrey meet with @swanseajack13 ?

That's if you can borrow again .. Otherwise @TheCaller may be able to give tips on a van that can take a wheelchair.

6. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Hello and welcome from West Midlands.

Wyn

7. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

What about the Malvern Motorhome show next weekend? Has to be worth a day's visit.

Wyn

8. Cilfan

Cilfan Funster

Thanks for the replies thus far guys. Wheelchair accessibility isn't a prerequisite - thankfully, as that seems a license to strap many ££££s onto what (for us) will already be a hefty investment. Sue only has one leg, but can get around inside a MH ok. Our main criteria are:

Rear fixed bed - I don't want to be having to make up/break down a bed every day.
    A sufficiently spacious and accessible washroom/loo (for Sue).
    An external locker/garage big enough to take a folded wheelchair or (possibly) a small mobility scooter.
    Preferably low line - no point having a cab over bed for obvious reasons.
    Oh, and all this for a budget of £10-£15k - preferably nearer the lower figure.

Am I whistling in the wind? Sadly I suspect I may be. But we live in hope and I'm nothing if not persistent.

Unfortunately we can't borrow our friends MH again. He acquired it on one of those "buy to rent" schemes, quickly realised the folly of that decision and unloaded it after about a year.

Such a shame you can't get a MH on motability - I have checked (twice) - that would solve all our problems. I really can't understand why they don't do them. With stratospheric residual values and (usually) low annual mileage I would have thought they'd be onto a winner. But hey ho, such is life and we soldier on.

9. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hello Welcome to Fun, good luck with your search. :welcomesign:

10. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

Just scour the Internet and pester second hand dealers, look at all the MHs you like to check for layout etc. We were looking for ages as my husband is an above knee amputee with other mobility issues. We needed a cab that's accessible, washroom, automatic etc for not a lot of money. We were looking to spend up to £8k Max. Found our Winnebago Itasca Spirit ( it's a micro, mini Winnie) on gumtree for £3.5k. She's old and tatty on the outside. Buts she's all we need and we love her. She got us to Poland and back recently. Like you we found B & Bs off limits due to lack of disabled facilities. So taking your home with you is a great idea. You could maybe check out caravans too. Particularly as older MHs are barred from various cities now. Emissions etc. You could get a tow bar on a Motability car and there's a huge choice in your price range. I know because we have been looking for the above reason. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

11. Jo662

Jo662 Funster

12. roadster55

roadster55 Funster

Welcome, and what beautiful touring country Wales is, I especially love all those castles. I've managed to get myself a little van on a budget so it can be done. The right deal is out there somewhere.

13. Cilfan

Cilfan Funster

Thanks for the further replies. As to the suggestion of a caravan, I think they're like Marmite, you either love em or hate em and I fall squarely into the latter category. Don't know why, just don't like them. Wouldn't do for everyone to be the same would it?

14. buttons

buttons Funster

Hi and Welcome.......(y)