Here is aData sheet from Continental Tyres (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

I've seen loads of threads on here from owners trying to get an idea of what tyre pressures to put in their various models.

Some posters have contacted Continental for advice.

I thought the below may be of assistance. I appreciate that it could be argued that different makes have different pressures but, assuming that the construction of the tyre is the same ie No. of ply and general description, it should be near enough and probably better than mere guesswork.

Page 82 is where the 'van tyres start and, at page 92 you can see the various pressures dependant upon load index and sizes.

Using this I have reduced the front tyres on our 'van from 65lb per sq. to 53 and the difference is amazing.

http://www.bushtyres.co.uk/library/pdf/conti-technical-data-book.pdf

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Struth what a download......makes war and peace seem to be a short story. Interesting though, thanks for helping me to get off to a good nights sleep for the next few weeks as I read through it.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Sounds too low to me, and the extra cost at the pumps could be amazing too. :)
I took the 'van out last night for a run. It felt a damn sight better on the corners. I'll watch the fuel guage but 53 is still a fair old pressure.

Reactions: Jim

Deleted User
Thanks for the info, my tyres are continental 4 seasons and I have been running them at about the pressures quoted so its nice to know that they are about right.

spongy

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I have had Conti Vanco Campers on my van from new........... 26000 miles now......... front down to 4mm and back down to 7mm

I have used the pressures Conti recommend (ish) since 1000 miles. Currently 51 front and back. The ride is good and they have worn very well. As for MPG...........always 37 or more (42 Glasgow to Aberdeen the other day)

Too many people running around with tyre pressures that only work in the dentists best interests :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'll watch the fuel guage but 53 is still a fair old pressure.

Not for the weights we all drag around. Michelins info to me for our tyres was 80 at the rear and 62 at the front. This was based on max axle weights not actual weights.

Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
Not for the weights we all drag around. Michelins info to me for our tyres was 80 at the rear and 62 at the front. This was based on max axle weights not actual weights.

This tyre pressure thing seems a minefield.

I've got an Autotrail Dakota running on Michelin Camper tyres and the tyre pressure sticker tells me I should be at 75psi front and rear, yet some folk are running with around 20 psi difference between front and rear.
Can't help but feel Autotrail have picked an arbitrary figure and printed it on a sticker.

Confusion reigns,

David

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I run my Conti Vanco Winter 2 tyres at 3.2 bar front, 4.1 bar rear (46psi / 60 psi). That is in accordance with the Conti data book and confirmed by Conti technical dept. (Size 225 70 R15 110/112)
I downloaded the data book some months ago from the Conti website and being a bit of a geek, put the various weights and pressures for my tyres into a spreadsheet table. Then I was able to graph the data and back-solve the equation for the gradient of the line (the pressure / weight relationship is linear).
Now, with the equation, I have an output table that allows me to input any axle load and get the correct pressure. ( I sent that to Conti too to check I had interpreted their data correctly.)
Perhaps not everyone's idea of fun, but it kept me amused for a while!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Can't help but feel Autotrail have picked an arbitrary figure and printed it on a sticker.

They may well have done. The best thing to do is ignore it and contact Michelin directly. Give them either the maximum plated front and rear axle weights or preferably the actual weights if you have them. They will then come back to you with their recommended pressures.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Now I'm really confused. I ran my Contis at 55 front and 65 back according to Renault. I have now replaced them with michelins and was told that this was far too low and have increased this to 65 front and 75 back. Does this sound about right?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Now I'm really confused. I ran my Contis at 55 front and 65 back according to Renault. I have now replaced them with michelins and was told that this was far too low and have increased this to 65 front and 75 back. Does this sound about right?

Ask them. The email address is michelin-contact@uk.michelin.com You will need to give them the details of the tyre i.e. size and weight rating and your axle weights.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

That's the point. I don't think there is a, 'Does that sound about right.'
The thing about that download I put on was that it quoted the various pressures dependant upon the load and speed ratios of the various types of construction of the Continental Tyres.
I note that they, (Continental) do not particularly differentiate between the various types of 'Van' or 'Camper' tyre. They are all together.
However, something I did notice was the footnote at the bottom of Page 100 regarding valves.

It states that ,"Standard rubber valves are only approved for up to 4.5 bar in service"

Again, this is at variance with the previous comments that "If you have a motorhome, it should have metal valves" I appreciate that metal valves are better but with the now reduced pressures in our 'van, it would seem that 'Ordinary ones' are up to the job , "Up to 4.5bar"

Last edited:
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
It would appear that Michelin assume all Motorhomes are stupid and always overload the van and that the only way to protect us from ourselves is to inflate the rear tyres to 80 PSI :eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back