Herb's rosmery cuttings (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have Ben given a huge rosmery cuting .
I have poted it with rooting compound will it take.
I have taken smaller cuttings to and planted them.
We also got sume other herbs origano parsley sage mint thyme , Basil
Any advise on keeping them alive as a do have a black thumb
Bill

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You need very small cuttings, say two or at most three inches long and ones which have a green, soft stem not a hard woody stem. Put them in well drained compost, planting them around the rim of a clay pot if you have one, then put the whole pot in a plastic bag after watering them and allowing to drain.

If you have woody cutting stick them in the ground outside and don't let them dry out. These may take a year to get going

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
IMG_20160716_151420266_HDR.jpg
I have planted the big one in a barrel in compost
And sum of the small cuttings in a clay pot with routing powder.
We buy a lot of herbs
If the rosmery dose not take we will buy a established one noting lost if it snuffs it
See pick
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Planted a rosemary bush ten years ago, filling in at the end of a small hedge. Thrives and supplies us with copious amounts. Trimmed to keep tidy occasionally but no other maintenance required.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Good tip if you want to take cuttings, and of course don't want to have acres of pots strewn around the section, or! of course if tou hav'nt the room in your G/House whatever!

Take some of the fabric you use for weed control, it's got to be minimum of 12 inches 300mm wide, I generally use 18 INCHES 450MM WIDE, and as long as you wish, however space or lack of space is the reason for this type of stuff! .
If you can get Spagmun Moss really really good, if however you can't, no worries! a good multi grade compost will do, AND PEAT based is better !

Lay out the Cloth and put a handful of MOSS/COMPOST every hands widthin the middle of the cloth.
Prepare your cuttings, Rooting Gel or power, and place about 150 mm /6inches apart, in the compost/moss ,How long you want the cloth or how many cuttings you wish to take is up to you , I generally stop at 1.8mtrs/6ft

Once you have all the cuttings in situ. fold the two sides together and rollup the cuttings/ compost/moss into a tight ball, tie with string, a minimum of two places , water!
Keep moist over winter,MOIST IS NOT SOAKING BLOODY WET!!! moist is moist!This way is not an instant shrub/bush maker it takes TIME!

This is good way to take cuttings of Any Currants, Buddlia, Deutzia, Pliladelphus any Lavender virtually any hardwood cutting, although only the ones mentioned have I actually had success with, or even tried
A 1.8mtr/6ft of cloth generally forms into a 6-9/150-225mm circumference ball

Any way Happy propagation!

PS Basil cant be propagated by cuttings only by seed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back