Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Saw it on here somewhere a few weeks ago. It was a yellow plastic box.
I have 2 x10m lengths of EHU cable and am looking for the item to cover the connection from rain etc.
I'm sure you will come up with the item:thumb:

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
A cable extension cover is obtainable from cpc.farnell.com, order code PL1020820.
Should do the trick. Price is £3.54 + vat. Hope this helps. :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
supermarket carrier bag and an elastic band. :roflmto:

Unless the plug and socket is partially/completely submerged in standing water it needs nothing more..it is already shower/rain proof by design.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gunner29

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
That's what I was led to believe. However what with the strong winds and heavy rain over the past few weeks water has managed to find its way into the 3 pin connector and trip the RCD in the house numerous times. I have now used a pop bottle to cover the connection but fancied something a bit more up market

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there are various driboxes and joint protectors on the market but you need to ensure they dont fill with water and immerse the connectors. i use a box made by duraplug to shield outdoor connections when running christmas lights. a similar box with glands is available but not necessary in normal weather conditions

if the gland on the cable end of your plugs is letting in water, fit a new tighter fitting gland. cheap blue plugs just have a thin plastic seal that you cut to push the wire through (ip44). more expensive plugs and sockets have a nut and neoprene washer type gland that you tighten to make them water resistant (ip67)

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think from your description that the problem for you is the 'hanging' section of the 13/16A adaptor, we use these for work and years ago abandoned caravan accessories due to your issues, water just runs down the cable straight into the live bit!! :Eeek:

We now buy Farnell plugs / sockets, they cost 3 x the price but come with proper gland connections on the ends to stop water getting in whether laid flat or vertical

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/industrial-power-connectors/4646183/

this link is to RS this is a good price with IP67 connector if correctly fitted, cheaper than a cover

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think from your description that the problem for you is the 'hanging' section of the 13/16A adaptor, we use these for work and years ago abandoned caravan accessories due to your issues, water just runs down the cable straight into the live bit!! :Eeek:

We now buy Farnell plugs / sockets, they cost 3 x the price but come with proper gland connections on the ends to stop water getting in whether laid flat or vertical

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/industrial-power-connectors/4646183/

this link is to RS this is a good price with IP67 connector if correctly fitted, cheaper than a cover

sorry put link to IP44 product

this one is better, but costs so much more, well worth it for us

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/industrial-power-connectors/4925846/

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
found some ip67 plugs and sockets on ebay, £10 for 2 plugs & 2 sockets. perfect for sorting out 2 leads cheaply:thumb:
Broken Link Removed

much cheaper and more convenient than carrying and using an enclosure

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
found some ip67 plugs and sockets on ebay, £10 for 2 plugs & 2 sockets. perfect for sorting out 2 leads cheaply:thumb:
Broken Link Removed

much cheaper and more convenient than carrying and using an enclosure

Great find, thanks, as you say, so much better to remove the problem

OP
OP
Gunner29

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Box

Ordered the item you suggested daifuse and it arrived today
Unfortunately it is of no use when coupling the two EHU connectors together as its only long enough for connecting a 3 pin plug to an extension cable. :Eeek:
However at £4.25 it won't break the bank and I'm sure it will come in useful some day/where.

As you stated David 58 ,the water entered via the joint as it obviously ran down the cable and along with the very strong winds made its way inside:Angry:

The item you suggested Golly is the one I'm after:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back