Help ! (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I got an adapter so i could plug my electric into the mains supply in my shed whilst parked in the drive.
Switched the fridge to mains power and for the last couple of days everything appeared ok, lights were on a lot last night.
Just been in to tidy up as it was a playground last night for the grandchildren.
Checked the batteries on the panel and No2 is fully charged but No1 is nearly right down :whatthe: (ok a couple of days ago).
Is there anything else i should have switched over when i go EHU, i thought it just took over.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Paul Just to clarify.. are you saying that the leisure battery is fully charged but the vehicle battery isn;t or when you refer to batteries nos. 1 and 2 do you have two LEISURE batteries?

Sorry if it a daft question.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
somewhere near the hook up point there will be a breaker box check that all these are on.
some on board chargers have a switch on them make sure thats turned on also.

if as movan says depending on which is battery 1 and 2 you may have a flat engine battery which would be normal for it not to charge on hook up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
:Doh::Doh:Sorry should have made it clear there are two leisure batteries.
There is a breaker switch under the seat near the hook up point, thought that might have something to do with the water pump but it may well be the hook up switch ! Will go and look.:Smile:
Still on a big learning curve.

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
EHU

Just had a look under the seat nearest the EHU and put the switch in the opposite position and the light on the switch at the fridge went off. So that has been in the correct position. Cant find any other switches, looked around near the leisure batts.
Whilst in there i noticed the stereo on the dash was not lit up so stuck the key in to find that the engine battery is flat, this happened a few days ago and had to give him a jump start from the car, put that down to using the radio a lot whilst i've been in there.
Damned electrics, why cant thing bee simple.:Angry:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Your describing an extremely common issue, with only one battery charging whilst on EHU. some vans have a switch on the control panel for which battery to use, this also selects the one to charge

3 easy solutions

1.... switch between batteries on charge every few days. costs nothing but youve got to remember to keep on doing it, which can be annoying
2.... fit a battery master relay that automatically charges the van battery from the leisure one when it is fully charged costs about £60 and is reasonably simple to fit
3.... fit a cheap maintenance type trickle charger to the van battery. Aldi and Lidl often have one on sale for about £12 or about £20 elsewhere. just fit to battery and plug into a socket. that way bothe batteries are getting charged

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Thanks for that Big 1.:Smile:
There is a switch next to the rocker switch for checking the batts.
It has no markings on it can either be up / down or in the middle, will play around with it to see if it does anything.
Meanwhile i will find my battery charger for the engine battery.
Will look at fitting a trickle charger.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back