Free Member
Mar 28, 2015
Barnsley
Funster No
MH
Benimar Aereo 6000 2005
Exp
Thinking of fitting a SOG system.
Would like to know if anybody out there has a SOG toilet system fitted, is it worth fitting.

Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
I'd been thinking of putting a sog in too. Thought that they weren't meant to smell so that's a little offputting :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Been discussed on here before - search for SOG. Brilliant device - no smells in bathroom or MH at all. Obviously the fan exhaust is outside but it's filtered & no-one should be close enough to be affected by it anyway.

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We have SOG fitted on our van - it was already installed when we bought it. As long as you replace the filter regularly there shouldn't be any smell - inside or out. As @tonyidle says no one should be that close to you anyway.

Denise

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I'll be fitting a DIY sog to Irnbru van in the near future and Andy63 will be doing the wiring bit -He does not know that yet ;):D Not worth paying 100 quid but the DIY will cost about a tenner at most -£100 buys a awful lot of chemical/wash liquid
terry

Upvote 0

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Stupid question #5 - how do I know if I have a sog installed on my MH? Going through the mountains of paperwork I recall seeing something that may have mentioned sog but - what am I looking for?

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
You'll hear a fan running when you open the toilet trap. This pulls your poo pong down through the cassette and out the van through a charcoal filter

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Was never a 'fan' of other's SOGS. been on the receiving end on many an aire.. it's not pleasant.. but that's due to the activated charcoal filter either needing replaced or maybe missing..

however, the Hymer came with one already fitted and I think it's great.. no smells in the toilet .. .. but I also use 'own brand' cheap bio washing liquid, it makes it more pleasant for dumping.. and it seems to keep the cassette nice and clean.. so now a SOG fan

Stupid question #5 - how do I know if I have a sog installed on my MH? Going through the mountains of paperwork I recall seeing something that may have mentioned sog but - what am I looking for?

have a look on the toilet cassette access door.. if fitted it will have a filter cover.. and inside a tube from the door going to the cassette.. yoiu can also hear it running when you open the shutter on the toilet..

Upvote 0
Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
Jim, the SOG II doesn't exit through the door, it goes through the floor, so worth checking underneath to see if there is a 19mm black plastic elbow just below the floor if there is no filter cover on the door.

Upvote 0

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Cheers guys. I assume that this will only work when the panel is turned on? Will try over the weekend.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just a question here. Thetford do an extract fan as an extra for their C250 model and it is fitted on mine. When I press the flush button once (not open the blade) it comes on and stays on for a few minutes. Then need to press the flush button a second time for the flush to work. It seems to vent through a charcoal filter element (which I have never changed) fitted in the base of toilet and out under the van. Can't quite work out whether it vents the toilet or the cassette.

Is that their version of a SOG?

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
A Sog was on our van when we got it, and as long as you replace the charcoul filter reularily it is brilliant, no smell anywhere!
We don't use chemicals in our loo, we use one (really cheap) Dishwashing tablet crushed up with a small amount of water every time, this works well as it keeps the insides of the cassette clean!

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
A Sog was on our van when we got it, and as long as you replace the charcoul filter reularily it is brilliant, no smell anywhere!
We don't use chemicals in our loo, we use one (really cheap) Dishwashing tablet crushed up with a small amount of water every time, this works well as it keeps the insides of the cassette clean!
Dishwasher tabs are basically Bleach/salt -so a squirt of bleach would work out a lot cheaper than the tablet ;)
terry

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ralph fitted one to Pug. It goes through the floor of the van , so if ever there was a nasty niff, ( it wouldn't be mine of course , mine smells like roses:blush:) it would come out under the van.
It does work too.
Only thing is , Ralph used to have a habit of leaving the Loo flap open , when he's had a wee. A bit like the loo seat up .......
We were in bed last weekend and I asked what that noise was. I've sensitive hearing , Ralph couldn't hear it. It was the fan running I could hear.
Here's a picture of the kit he bought to fit to the cassette etc.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
SOG = Brilliant
I would not be without one now.
Over the years it has saved us a packet in chemicals and convenience.
Can be emptied as often as you like without wasting chemicals and no restrictions on where emptied.
If the filter is renewed or replenished with active charcoal regularly there's no smells.

Upvote 0
Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
The fan should only run when the blade is open, if it is running constantly then the microswitch underneath the loo in the toilet hatch needs repositioning/replacing.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
have always had SOGs fitted and would not be without one...far more hygenic as fumes drawn outside not into van even if smell masked with whatever.......I think when people go on about pong its far more likely to be next doors waste tank....Have never experienced a problem to be honest

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The fan should only run when the blade is open, if it is running constantly then the microswitch underneath the loo in the toilet hatch needs repositioning/replacing.
I asked the question because I have a Thetford electric ventilator which I discovered vents the cassette. It comes on with the first press of the flush button and switches off automatically after 5 minutes. It vents through a carbon filter in the floor of the toilet. It seems to me that the term SOG is a trade name like Hoover. I think I have a SOG in everything but the name.

It has only taken me 2 years to cotton on ..... doh ......:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
If your ventilator only comes on with the flush, you will still need to use chemicals; so you lose most, if not all, of the benefits of using a SOG (IMO).

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If your ventilator only comes on with the flush, you will still need to use chemicals; so you lose most, if not all, of the benefits of using a SOG (IMO).
No it doesn't come on with the flush. On the C250 the first press of the flush button only switched the control panel on and, in my case, the ventilator. The ventilator light then flashes. The flush only happens when I press the flush button again and hold it. So it is up to me when it comes on and it then switches off automatically 5 minutes later. Or I can switch it off earlier by pressing the flashing light.

So if I first press the flush button when I open the blade that will be the same if not better than a SOG, which I am told switches off when the blade is closed.

Or have I missed something?

Upvote 0
Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
That makes more sense, as long as air is being drawn down the toilet and through your cassette then you only need it operating when the blade is open. I've never seen the Thetford system, so can't comment on its efficiency. Out of interest, do Thetford say you can stop using chemicals with this system?

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Out of interest, do Thetford say you can stop using chemicals with this system?
They would never do that would they? After all they sell chemicals. ;)

I am interested in the reason why people say that just because you have a fan that comes on for the minute or so that the blade is open you do not need any chemicals. How does that work, other than by a short burst of ventilation to move the smell somewhere else outside of the van? How does that make the contents of the cassette break down of their own accord so that they do not smell?

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
They would never do that would they? After all they sell chemicals. ;)

I am interested in the reason why people say that just because you have a fan that comes on for the minute or so that the blade is open you do not need any chemicals. How does that work, other than by a short burst of ventilation to move the smell somewhere else outside of the van? How does that make the contents of the cassette break down of their own accord so that they do not smell?
To my mind,apart from the eco benefits, chemicals are a waste of time and money. ... Human waste starts to break down immediately it's produced and isn't in the cassette long enough for chemicals to make any difference.
I don't think a SOG or any other similar systems really have time to assist with the breakdown of waste but do help to keep your toilet area sweeter.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back