Help

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Jonnyboy&Iddybiddy, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Jonnyboy&Iddybiddy

Jonnyboy&Iddybiddy Funster

Thinking of fitting a SOG system.
    Would like to know if anybody out there has a SOG toilet system fitted, is it worth fitting.

2. Ethle the wondervan

Ethle the wondervan

They stink!

You will not be popular with your neighbouring campers. :sick:

3. Bridget

Bridget Funster

I'd been thinking of putting a sog in too. Thought that they weren't meant to smell so that's a little offputting :(

4. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

Does the state of the filter dictate whether they smell of not (externally), e.g. new or well maintained filter no smell, old or ill maintained filter nauseating aroma?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  5. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Been discussed on here before - search for SOG. Brilliant device - no smells in bathroom or MH at all. Obviously the fan exhaust is outside but it's filtered & no-one should be close enough to be affected by it anyway.

6. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster Life Member

We have SOG fitted on our van - it was already installed when we bought it. As long as you replace the filter regularly there shouldn't be any smell - inside or out. As @tonyidle says no one should be that close to you anyway.

Denise

7. daveinspain

daveinspain Funster

I fitted a SOG II to our van, brilliant bit of kit - no smells inside or out, and of course no messing about with smelly chemicals!

8. Terry

Terry Funster

I'll be fitting a DIY sog to Irnbru van in the near future and Andy63 will be doing the wiring bit -He does not know that yet ;):D Not worth paying 100 quid but the DIY will cost about a tenner at most -£100 buys a awful lot of chemical/wash liquid
    terry

9. TheWM

TheWM Read Only Funster

Stupid question #5 - how do I know if I have a sog installed on my MH? Going through the mountains of paperwork I recall seeing something that may have mentioned sog but - what am I looking for?

10. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

You'll hear a fan running when you open the toilet trap. This pulls your poo pong down through the cassette and out the van through a charcoal filter

11. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Was never a 'fan' of other's SOGS. been on the receiving end on many an aire.. it's not pleasant.. but that's due to the activated charcoal filter either needing replaced or maybe missing..

however, the Hymer came with one already fitted and I think it's great.. no smells in the toilet .. .. but I also use 'own brand' cheap bio washing liquid, it makes it more pleasant for dumping.. and it seems to keep the cassette nice and clean.. so now a SOG fan

have a look on the toilet cassette access door.. if fitted it will have a filter cover.. and inside a tube from the door going to the cassette.. yoiu can also hear it running when you open the shutter on the toilet..

12. daveinspain

daveinspain Funster

Jim, the SOG II doesn't exit through the door, it goes through the floor, so worth checking underneath to see if there is a 19mm black plastic elbow just below the floor if there is no filter cover on the door.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheWM

TheWM Read Only Funster

Cheers guys. I assume that this will only work when the panel is turned on? Will try over the weekend.

14. daveinspain

daveinspain Funster

On my Rapido, you need to press the 'pump' button then, as said above, opening the blade on the toilet switches it on.

15. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Just a question here. Thetford do an extract fan as an extra for their C250 model and it is fitted on mine. When I press the flush button once (not open the blade) it comes on and stays on for a few minutes. Then need to press the flush button a second time for the flush to work. It seems to vent through a charcoal filter element (which I have never changed) fitted in the base of toilet and out under the van. Can't quite work out whether it vents the toilet or the cassette.

Is that their version of a SOG?

16. Shrimp64

Shrimp64 Funster

A Sog was on our van when we got it, and as long as you replace the charcoul filter reularily it is brilliant, no smell anywhere!
    We don't use chemicals in our loo, we use one (really cheap) Dishwashing tablet crushed up with a small amount of water every time, this works well as it keeps the insides of the cassette clean!

17. Terry

Terry Funster

Dishwasher tabs are basically Bleach/salt -so a squirt of bleach would work out a lot cheaper than the tablet ;)
    terry

18. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Ralph fitted one to Pug. It goes through the floor of the van , so if ever there was a nasty niff, ( it wouldn't be mine of course , mine smells like roses:blush:) it would come out under the van.
    It does work too.
    Only thing is , Ralph used to have a habit of leaving the Loo flap open , when he's had a wee. A bit like the loo seat up .......
    We were in bed last weekend and I asked what that noise was. I've sensitive hearing , Ralph couldn't hear it. It was the fan running I could hear.
    Here's a picture of the kit he bought to fit to the cassette etc.
    image.jpg image.jpg

19. icantremember

icantremember Funster

SOG = Brilliant
    I would not be without one now.
    Over the years it has saved us a packet in chemicals and convenience.
    Can be emptied as often as you like without wasting chemicals and no restrictions on where emptied.
    If the filter is renewed or replenished with active charcoal regularly there's no smells.

• Like Like x 1
  20. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

How long does the fan on the SOG run for please? Constantly or only for a set time after use? The one fitted to my Thetford C250 runs for 5 minutes. Is that enough?