Free Member
Mar 31, 2009
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
Mmmm!!!!

welding something the thickness of a strong enough steel bar or allan key to a reasonably thick sump bung is going to produce a lot of heat even with a mig welder.

i wouldnt want someone welding my sump when its full of oil...:Doh:

The choice is yours of course. But if you want the drain plug out my method will work, I’ve done several times.

Cheers Big Trev.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
The choice is yours of course. But if you want the drain plug out my method will work, I’ve done several times.

Cheers Big Trev.

Hi Trev...

I know what you mean.

When needs must..If heat doesn't budge it....Buy a spare and it doesn't matter what happens to the original.Just don't damage the sump.

I have found that a long lever and a good quality socket..gently used.. works for me.Just feel what's going on.If it feels like it's turning on the nut then stop and rethink.

Never...ever overtighten sump plugs or spark plugs..

bill2b

Free Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
What and you think your engine oil does not get hot normally :RollEyes::RollEyes:
your only welding the end of the sump plug so there is a lot of heat lost in the length of the plug.

I bet you have never poured petrol in a carb to get an engine going either :winky:

Its a tried and trusted method and it works well

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rickboy

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Funster No
Sound just like my Dad

Bl**dy mole grips, small stillys or footprints is what you want.

Olley
Thant sounds just like my Dad!!! He was usually right too.
Have you ever met a Yorkshireman was wasn't ?

Last edited:

Randonneur

Free Member
Mar 31, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
4 years
Bite the bullet and take your motorhome to a local Farnwoth garage and ask them to do a oil change for you and while they are doing it put you a new drain plug in.You should have no problems next time you want to change your oil.

OP
OP
Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
drain plug up date

well its still not out put it put me in hospital with my hart problems put now back on the mend the i will be back on the job and there's only going to be one winner

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
well its still not out put it put me in hospital with my hart problems put now back on the mend the i will be back on the job and there's only going to be one winner

Hey Guys...

If it really is in there that tight..Buy another and get a garage to remove it....

Just tell them it really doesn't need to be overtightened with an air gun....:RollEyes:

OP
OP
Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
sump plug

had sump plug UN done by are local taxi firm which is .50/50 and they let there mechanic undo it for me took him a bit of time put he did it :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back