Help with Schaudt Elektroblock email please (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Hi all

2012 Hymer exsis-i 562

Can anyone help decipher an email I had from Udo Lang at Schaudt? He recomended I connect my 600wat inverter to the starter battery since I will only be using it whilst driving and I didn't want to risk upsetting the EBL 99 K.
I want to connect the relay via a rel;ay to avoid inadvertently flattening the battery. I emailed UDO about where to pickup the D+ supply for the relay and he sent the following reply.
"please see the wiring diagram in the user manual of the EBL 99.'
You will find the D+ as a positive signal 12V on the block 1 (4 pole connector) at the EBL on pin 2.
There is a D+ point to switch some users."

I know where the supply is but I don't understand his last serntance, when I queried it he just repeated it. The previous owner has inserted a blue 3m Scotchlok into the D+ output already. Does he mean me to do the same?

I must admit I think the electrics aren't one of Hymers better points.

Malcolm

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I think what he means is that the D+ connector is there on the EBL so that it can be used as a control signal to turn on or off power to items that should only work when the engine is running. Block 1 is the refrigerator relay connector on the EBL99, so that makes sense, as the fridge should only switch to 12V when the engine is running.

For 'some users' read 'certain electrical items'.

In other words, I think he's confirming that it will do what you want.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I think you're right, but it seems strange to me that with all the technology and attachments on the Schaudt system you still have to resort to a 3m Scotchlok connection.

Malcolm

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
TheCaller has interpreted Udo's comments correctly in my view. Udo often refers to 12V electrical circuits / appliances as 'users' or 'consumers'.
It is correct that Pin 2 on Block 1 of an EBL99 is the D+ feed so you can pick up a feed anywhere along that cable. If you are connecting your inverter to the starter battery (not something I would do) then is the EBL the most convenient place from which to pick up a D+ feed, or would it be easier to trace it from the alternator in the engine bay?
Why not connect the inverter to the habitation batteries (assuming you have more than one to provide sufficient capacity). You will not upset the EBL unless you allow the inverter to run down the hab. batteries significantly in which case the EBL will shut down the 12V system once it detects an 'under load' voltage of 10.5V. You can still fit a relay to operate the inverter although I would rather go for a manually switched one since you might not want to run it only when the engine is turning over.
For an example of wiring your inverter, may I refer you to the article that I posted in the resources section a few years ago? Mine is only a 150W inverter but the principle is the same. I have an EBL99 in my Hymer and the system works perfectly well. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/install-a-small-inverter.17/

p.s. I have found the Hymer wiring system to be very straightforward once I worked it out (and I'm not an electrician).

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I think you're right, but it seems strange to me that with all the technology and attachments on the Schaudt system you still have to resort to a 3m Scotchlok connection.

Malcolm
You don't, but you will need to extract pin 2 and fit a new one into which you have crimped an extra cable to activate the inverter. The pins require a special tool to get them out of the MNL plug otherwise you will destroy it as they snap into place with metal barbs.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have a 1000 watt inverter connected to my leisure batteries does not cause any problem with my EBL29 (newer version of EBL99), I fitted the inverter under the passenger seat so the cables were kept short to the battery well to the side of it. I fitted a 100 amp fuse inline directly to the battery terminals and next to the inverter I have an isolation switch.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Replace the existing ScotchLok connectors with these:

The best method of adding extra lines off the feed is with these WAGO connectors
CA_01071516183338-M.jpg

You will probably find that this type of connector is already in use in your van.

They are available via eBay - search for Wago connectors. As Techno said in his original post, search carefully because prices vary considerably.

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Thanks for your replies. My options are limited due to the fact that we've only just got this MH and we go away in a couple of weeks. Also it only has a single 95AH Banner AGM battery at present

TheCaller has interpreted Udo's comments correctly in my view. Udo often refers to 12V electrical circuits / appliances as 'users' or 'consumers'.
It is correct that Pin 2 on Block 1 of an EBL99 is the D+ feed so you can pick up a feed anywhere along that cable. If you are connecting your inverter to the starter battery (not something I would do) then is the EBL the most convenient place from which to pick up a D+ feed, or would it be easier to trace it from the alternator in the engine bay?
Why not connect the inverter to the habitation batteries (assuming you have more than one to provide sufficient capacity). You will not upset the EBL unless you allow the inverter to run down the hab. batteries significantly in which case the EBL will shut down the 12V system once it detects an 'under load' voltage of 10.5V. You can still fit a relay to operate the inverter although I would rather go for a manually switched one since you might not want to run it only when the engine is turning over.
For an example of wiring your inverter, may I refer you to the article that I posted in the resources section a few years ago? Mine is only a 150W inverter but the principle is the same. I have an EBL99 in my Hymer and the system works perfectly well. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/install-a-small-inverter.17/

p.s. I have found the Hymer wiring system to be very straightforward once I worked it out (and I'm not an electrician).
Fitting the inverter to the starter battery was Udo's recomendation, and since Atlantic Caravan Repairs (,who appear to talk sense.) wont even discuss inverters with the EBL 99 K other than repair costs I decided to go along with that. It is only for my electric bike battery primarily and my Dell laptop, so will only be used whilst driving.
On my 2012b Ford based exsis 562 I don't think I could even find the alternator, let alone trace the wires!:)

You don't, but you will need to extract pin 2 and fit a new one into which you have crimped an extra cable to activate the inverter. The pins require a special tool to get them out of the MNL plug otherwise you will destroy it as they snap into place with metal barbs.

Replace the existing ScotchLok connectors with these:.............

If you don't think I would suffer a current drop using them that's a good idea. I've got plenty of those in different sizes and use them a lot. Again not knowing much detail about electricity I was concerned they might cause a current drop. My system already has a Elektroblock DP 02 A D+ booster fitted for some reason. Should I be concerned about that?

Malcolm

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks for your replies. My options are limited due to the fact that we've only just got this MH and we go away in a couple of weeks. Also it only has a single 95AH Banner AGM battery at present
Oh dear better budget for new batteries then. Both my Banner AGM batteries failed in 18 months in my 2014 Exsis.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Both my Banner AGM batteries failed in 18 months in my 2014 Exsis.
I'm keeping my fingers firmly crossed, but mine seems to be still ok after 3 years & some serious abuse by a dodgy solar controller that was allowing the battery voltage to rise too high on sunny days (16v+ :().

Suspect I'm on borrowed time though - irrespective of make.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back